Quantcast

The Stooges [pure rock action]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if there is any doubt that iggy and the stooges still aren't a monster, that was clearly banished in the minds of ~2500 people last night...forget the somewhat dodgy reunion album (though 'trollin' and 'my idea of fun' were pretty decent last night), the guys are still equipped and able to bring the fvcking rock action raining down on you like it's 1970 in ann arbor all over again. this was easily as good as the reunion show we'd caught in dublin in 2004; actually it was better because of our proximity to the stage.

shooting this show was far tougher than i'd ever imagined (i *really* should have brought a fast prime w/ me instead of the two zooms; i figured that the orpheum would be the best light i'd ever shot in...how wrong was i...), but as a fan it was great (having center, 3rd row seats certainly helped). iggy was off the stage a bunch of times, standing about 3" inches away from me (he really is about 5'1", just like he claims in his song) at least two different times and blasting away. he dove into the crowd at least once, was down in the aisles a few times, and when he also called for people on stage during 'no fun'...the security guys were helpless against the flood...this was the 4th or 5th song, so i had to unfortunately keep my camera stashed. the wave of crushing bodies to the stage front killed at least two seats across the aisle from me (i mean broken, and uprooted from the floor), and my wife saw some guy out in the lobby getting his ankle iced.

other highlights...

scott asheton's monster guitar sound and wall of marshall quads.

some manson-esque dude (charlie, not marilyn) handing iggy a sharpie, and iggy drawing an X on his forehead.

"tv eye"..."dirt"...."1970"..."la blues"..."loose"..."i wanna be yr dog"..."1969"... brilliant rock songs.

iggy in general. the man's a full-on beast, even at this stage of his life. pretty incredible.

watt having the time of his life. pure energy and enjoyment clearly radiating from him.

:monkeydance:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
They were in austin for south by southwest last month. Did a big free show and another small one in a record store. And even with 2 shows I missed them :(

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I believe The Stooges may be one of the most under rated rock bands of all time. The first time I heard them I was blown away and every time I hear them now I still hear something new in their music.

I've got much love for Raw Power and Fun House but my current favorite by them is "Wild Love". What sold me on it is a vicious cover of Ballad of Hollis Brown. It's just a constant kick drum powering the backbone with sparse guitar work while Iggy runs the lyrics through a sandpaper factory. I think it does more for what that song is about than any other version. It's mean.

mert

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
mass
have you seen the video by the teddybears where iggy sings "Punkrocker" ??? i think the filming of that video makes iggy look soo cool, like he's one bad mfer. heres the youtube linky.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
working on them now...i've got a backlog (still haven't done Sebadoh, or the show i went to on friday (cheetah chrome/unnatural axe)...here's a teaser or two (hopefully this will show):

Iggy: the body of a taut pre-teen swedish boy and the leathery face of Phyllis Diller...Wish I was there, though.