Quantcast

the tale of two bikes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
All pics can be clicked on for bigger images...

2 days in rochester yielded 2 more bikes. The first is a 12" tricycle for my daughter. It's her first real bike, and she loves it. We've got some work to do before she get's the pedaling thing down though.

The second bike is my 575. Words won't do it justice, so I won't try...

It's a medium frame, total weight is just over 28lbs. Initially I was hoping for lighter, but I dumped some expensive light weight stuff in favor of some cheaper more durable stuff. Doing so was easier on the wallet and hopefully will prove a better build for a trail bike.

The build was pretty straight forward, with only a couple of roadbumps. I ordered/was sent the wrong front der. Fortunately, Victor had a correct XT, though I'm not sure where he got it. Hopefully NOT from his bling. The ARC seatpost clamps to the saddle rails from the sides, not the top and bottom. This was a bit of a problem because the rails on the Nixe were ovalized... taller than they were wide, so they didn't fit in the clamp. Victor and I each took some time and filed down the clamps a bit to make the rails fit. A bit of sweat seems to have solved the issue.

Now I gotta go ride.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jackson Congradulations!!!

I can't wait to see the bike. Let me know what you think of only having 2 gears up front. We do about the same amount and style of riding so I would like to know if it's a good idea or not. I may even end up going to 8 in the back as well.

Dude I'm really happy and you put a lot of work into putting this bike together and it shows! Great job and your daughter looks just like ya.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Put a berzerker in place of that ass blade and you got yourself the perfect trailbike :thumb:
Ha, yeah I thought that ass blade was a little sharp for my big butt but maybe he likes little seats!!!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Thank God that's done. I was getting freakin' tired of the what part threads.......

:D Just kidding of course. Looks great. Diggin' that white. Glad you are happy with it. I'm thinking its going to prove better than you hoped.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by jacksonpt
All pics can be clicked on for bigger images...
I hate you! Mostly cuz I'm totally jealous of you having that adorable little girl.

Any lady monkeys wanna have kids? :devil:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by stosh
Jackson Congradulations!!!

I can't wait to see the bike. Let me know what you think of only having 2 gears up front. We do about the same amount and style of riding so I would like to know if it's a good idea or not. I may even end up going to 8 in the back as well.

Dude I'm really happy and you put a lot of work into putting this bike together and it shows! Great job and your daughter looks just like ya.

I'm still waiting to hear an answer to my question.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by stosh
I'm still waiting to hear an answer to my question.
Um, you didn't ask question.

If you are referring to the two chainings things... I'm sure I'll love it. I never use my big chainring on the trail, so all it did was get snagged on stuff. I'm hoping the bash guard will roll smoother over downed trees rather than having a big ring that cuts into the tree.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Um, you didn't ask question.

If you are referring to the two chainings things... I'm sure I'll love it. I never use my big chainring on the trail, so all it did was get snagged on stuff. I'm hoping the bash guard will roll smoother over downed trees rather than having a big ring that cuts into the tree.
Yeah I use my big ring sometimes but not enough. You know how there are thoes roads that criss cross MTA I use it on them sometimes.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea the bikeS look great.

i wouldn't trust that seatpost at all. goodluck with that one.

if you hate the seat, i'll take that one off your hands. looks AWSOME.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well too add, i took my big ring off my VT when i first got. and install a evil bash guard. works nicely

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by DHS
i wouldn't trust that seatpost at all. goodluck with that one.

if you hate the seat, i'll take that one off your hands. looks AWSOME.
After about 30minutes in the saddle, I like the saddle, hate the seatpost - it already broke. See my other thread about early 575 impressions.