Quantcast

The temptation of the 951

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've got the jones! The Intense banner is calling my name again.

I've been on a 2006 Cove Shocker DH since Nov of that year. It is a sweet bike, pedals pretty good, corners pretty good, decent braking habits and flawless reliability and quality. I ride DH a fair amount, 4,000 to 8,000' elevation a week + road trips and races. The bike has needed very little love, a new drive side dropout and a shock rebuild, thats it. The bike seems to have a great balance in between plow and liveliness too.The bad? Its kinda chunky, 12.6lbs with a steel spring and 11.7 with ti. Its a bit high in the BB, I rarely clip the guide on even 'gnar gnar chunk':rofl: and cornering feels a bit tippy compared to super low bb bikes I've tried (M6, Commencal, '09 Demo)

I haven't gotten to check out a 951 yet, but on paper it looks flawless. Lighter, lower BB, similar travel (8-8.5 on the Intense, 8.75 on the Cove), adjustable geometry. The 951 looks amazing too! I know this is shallow, whatever, it looks like an F1 car and a moto made a baby, and I need to give it a home. I've also owned 2 previous Intense bikes and have a 6.6 currently, so its safe to say I have a soft spot for 'em.

Does this sound like self justification to get a new DH sled? Maybe. It is just my current metal ponderings.... And I happened to find out what EP on a 951 cost today.

So.... Do the weight savings and other plusses outweigh a reliable frame that rides great and is already paid for? What a conundrum!:weee: I know there's a whole world of sweet rigs out there too, so what a 33y/o sport racer to do?:rofl:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I really like my 951 so far!

8" mode, longest dropout setting, 30% sag - it's long, low and stable but it still pops! Compared to the shocker - it actually feels similar in a lot of ways, just significantly lower and snappier. Pedals really well, too.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Just do it already.

By the way, I'm going to be home the whole week of Thanksgiving. I am riding, as much as possible. DH and some XC.

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've got the jones! The Intense banner is calling my name again.

I've been on a 2006 Cove Shocker DH since Nov of that year. It is a sweet bike, pedals pretty good, corners pretty good, decent braking habits and flawless reliability and quality. I ride DH a fair amount, 4,000 to 8,000' elevation a week + road trips and races. The bike has needed very little love, a new drive side dropout and a shock rebuild, thats it. The bike seems to have a great balance in between plow and liveliness too.The bad? Its kinda chunky, 12.6lbs with a steel spring and 11.7 with ti. Its a bit high in the BB, I rarely clip the guide on even 'gnar gnar chunk':rofl: and cornering feels a bit tippy compared to super low bb bikes I've tried (M6, Commencal, '09 Demo)

I haven't gotten to check out a 951 yet, but on paper it looks flawless. Lighter, lower BB, similar travel (8-8.5 on the Intense, 8.75 on the Cove), adjustable geometry. The 951 looks amazing too! I know this is shallow, whatever, it looks like an F1 car and a moto made a baby, and I need to give it a home. I've also owned 2 previous Intense bikes and have a 6.6 currently, so its safe to say I have a soft spot for 'em.

Does this sound like self justification to get a new DH sled? Maybe. It is just my current metal ponderings.... And I happened to find out what EP on a 951 cost today.

So.... Do the weight savings and other plusses outweigh a reliable frame that rides great and is already paid for? What a conundrum!:weee: I know there's a whole world of sweet rigs out there too, so what a 33y/o sport racer to do?:rofl:
BB high dependente the stuff where you ride,cove Canada: big rocks gnarly terrain intense California more sand.. maybe for that is the BB on the Cove higher..?! i think for cornering is the suspension system relevant to.. for me the paralle link is the better system against vpp system!
paralle link follows the topo of earth:rofl:
if you want change go to the 2010 glory!

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Start running 40% sag on your Shocker like you should and your bb height will be spot on. How much sag and what shock are you running now?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
The guy just wants to hear he should buy the 951.
Do it allready, its the sexiest looking DH bike ever imo.
It might be sexy, but it's built and designed terribly and because it's Intense, you'll ride it for a while and then when you pull it apart to change the bearings you'll discover it's bent.

Keep the shocker. Spend the money on a BOS Stoy, run 40% sag and it'll rip.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe the new Banshee Legend will be a better option. They seem to be aiming more at reliability and they are a company from somewhere around you if I'm not right. They are trying to get the prices at a pretty nice level so ask around. Should be available in Jan.

Also I've heard some rumors that cove wants to lighten the frame. Anyone can comment on that? Maybe a new cove + bos that gives you more sag is also a good idea.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You can adjust the BB height on the 951. I run my in the short wheelbase and high BB and I love it.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
If cove only made some different dropouts to lower things a bit, it's the same basic design as Intense's dropouts.. anybody have a cnc machine handy? wanna design up some new dropouts? ;)

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
If cove only made some different dropouts to lower things a bit, it's the same basic design as Intense's dropouts.. anybody have a cnc machine handy? wanna design up some new dropouts? ;)
I'd love to see this. Optional dropouts are a no brainer and with the setup the Shocker currently has back there it's as if it was made for optional dropouts!

Dilzy are you seriously running 40% sag on your Shocker?? I'm on the +side of 30% and it tracks exceptionally and corners well and all. Maybe it's different because I am 6'3"?

I've heard from a couple of sources that the Shocker is having some changes made and that their is one under one of there riders already. Rumour has it that this new version has a lower bb and is 1 lb lighter! Sounds like my next frame will be another Shocker. The 951 is extremely appealing to me as it's not just beautiful but all the numbers are great and the adjustability is a massive plus! But the reliability scares me off...

By the time the new Shocker is available i will be due for a replacement. For this season I'm just gunna get a new paint job to trick myself into thinking I'm on a new frame!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Good point, I wonder if Intense does wedding registration?

Actually, F that, I think the wedding is next summer. Way too long to wait for a new bike.
How to get a bike out of your engagement -

Make a deal with your fiance that however much you guys spend on the ring, an equal amount goes to something (or somethings) for you. Worked out beautifully for me. Bonus - you get your bike as soon as you buy the ring...no waiting for your wedding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd love to see this. Optional dropouts are a no brainer and with the setup the Shocker currently has back there it's as if it was made for optional dropouts!

Dilzy are you seriously running 40% sag on your Shocker?? I'm on the +side of 30% and it tracks exceptionally and corners well and all. Maybe it's different because I am 6'3"?

I've heard from a couple of sources that the Shocker is having some changes made and that their is one under one of there riders already. Rumour has it that this new version has a lower bb and is 1 lb lighter! Sounds like my next frame will be another Shocker. The 951 is extremely appealing to me as it's not just beautiful but all the numbers are great and the adjustability is a massive plus! But the reliability scares me off...

By the time the new Shocker is available i will be due for a replacement. For this season I'm just gunna get a new paint job to trick myself into thinking I'm on a new frame!
Yeah, that's somewhere around the rumors I've heard.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
DO IT!!!!
And do all CR1 suspension...you'd be the most ballin' DH'er in SB!
Just think of the weight you'll be dropping....forget dieting, just buy a 951 and you'll loose weight instantly!

Sorry, rambling on since I'm killing time at work. Thanks again for your help yesterday!

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008

Currently on a Demo 9. I run around 40% sag with all my dh bikes. Theres just as many holes as there are bumps in a track. I also run a Vivid, which I think is more suitable to running more sag.

I just think given the Shockers numbers 40% sag would slacken it out and lower the bb height down to more 951 numbers if that's what he wants. You'd get all the lower/slacker advantages without having Jeff have any input into your bike design.

I'm 6'2.5" and 230lb.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
How to get a bike out of your engagement -

Make a deal with your fiance that however much you guys spend on the ring, an equal amount goes to something (or somethings) for you. Worked out beautifully for me. Bonus - you get your bike as soon as you buy the ring...no waiting for your wedding.
WORD!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Currently on a Demo 9. I run around 40% sag with all my dh bikes. Theres just as many holes as there are bumps in a track. I also run a Vivid, which I think is more suitable to running more sag.

I just think given the Shockers numbers 40% sag would slacken it out and lower the bb height down to more 951 numbers if that's what he wants. You'd get all the lower/slacker advantages without having Jeff have any input into your bike design.

I'm 6'2.5" and 230lb.
Waiiiiiit.....

I totally understand that not everyone can or wants to drop cash on a newer ride, but you're getting critical of ride quality and reliability and calling us fools for buying a 951 and you're riding one of those heaps??

I rode a Demo9 for two seasons. The frame weighed 14.2lbs. I still went through a chainstay every month, it tracked like ****, pedalled terribly, had poor geometry that wanted to suck in the front wheel around every corner. Not to mention that in 2004, the Demo9 frame in 2004 dollars was $3000. In 2009 dollars that's nearly $3400 when adjusted for inflation. My 951 retailed for $2700 this year!

This isn't a sell on the 951, I'm just calling you out because you called me out for buying a 951 cause I'm ridin Steber's jock instead of actually liking the bike and thinking that it was a reasonable value!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you want, I'd let you do a run or two next weekend on my 951. I'm warning you about the fork though. It's feeling Minaarharsh.
It's pretty good on steeeeep steep stuff as well.
http://vimeo.com/7497244
I hate that trail. I tumbled down a good portion of that afew years back before the berms were put in...

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Waiiiiiit.....

I totally understand that not everyone can or wants to drop cash on a newer ride, but you're getting critical of ride quality and reliability and calling us fools for buying a 951 and you're riding one of those heaps??

I rode a Demo9 for two seasons. The frame weighed 14.2lbs. I still went through a chainstay every month, it tracked like ****, pedalled terribly, had poor geometry that wanted to suck in the front wheel around every corner. Not to mention that in 2004, the Demo9 frame in 2004 dollars was $3000. In 2009 dollars that's nearly $3400 when adjusted for inflation. My 951 retailed for $2700 this year!

This isn't a sell on the 951, I'm just calling you out because you called me out for buying a 951 cause I'm ridin Steber's jock instead of actually liking the bike and thinking that it was a reasonable value!
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one, Demo's geometry suits me very well (I've ridden spesh a long time). I find it extremely stiff and it tracks brilliantly. The rear end is nice and progressive. My only gripe is that the seat tube angle could have been 5 degrees slacker. Demo's were so exe because of the pressings. I'll give you that spesh under do their chain stay's, I've not had problems yet, but I cracked my sx chain stay.

Not accusing you of riding Jeff's jock, just that the man doesn't think much about the use of his bikes. He's innovative and produces damn sexy bicycles, but they're hard to live with and the qc pretty poor.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not accusing you of riding Jeff's jock, just that the man doesn't think much about the use of his bikes. He's innovative and produces damn sexy bicycles, but they're hard to live with and the qc pretty poor.
I'll agree with this. As much as I like the way those bikes ride, they can be a complete nightmare to work on. There just seems to be no consistency or QC with the fabrication either. I've owned one, and I did like the performance and just sold it because it was the wrong size for me, but I will probably not own another.

They do look damned good though. You can't take that away from them.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

I'm honestly thinking about looking into new CNC dropouts made... I'm sure it's expensive that's the main issue obviously, anybody have any experience in this sort of thing?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I'm honestly thinking about looking into new CNC dropouts made... I'm sure it's expensive that's the main issue obviously, anybody have any experience in this sort of thing?
If this develops at all count me in for some custom dropouts also! I amy even post a few threads about the internet and see if it picks up any momentum?