Quantcast

The Turkey Burner -- FOMBA - NH

splat

Nam I am
The day after thanksgiving can mean only one thing. The Turkey Burner !

the ride starts out with a easy Loop around the Lake, of about 11 miles , then the optional Hero loop - another 15 miles of which 13 is technical single track.

usually there is a Big turn out, today was no exception it was Windy and about 32 degree's

Here is the parking lot lots and lots of people.

Off we go with the lake in the background

BO JRA

The first half was really quite uneventful, there was a section about a mile on road uphill. this made BadDNA on his Bighit suffer.

well a Bit past the half way point around the lake , jhust before the split for the good stuff . the Local Fire Dept. sets up a Hot Choclate stop.

Hmmm even there town logo Looks Cold !!

Well BadDNA brought some special Warming solution for the hot chocolate

Picturesque New Hampshire

A small Rock was set up in the middle of the trail

Riding Over a Rock

Chris coming off of some good old NH granite.

Gary between a rock and a tree

Bad DNA on the other side

Break Time !

BAdDNA over some rocks

Handle bar check! DR Stuck like a Babbon

WoodsGuy Falling off of a log ride

BadDNA doing it .

Woods Guy shoulder checking a tree

DR threading the Needle

Gary's turn from a different angle

BadDNA then Riding on the Log roll!

Now we headed Back, DR through the tunnel

BadDNA in the tunnel

Ahh what a fun Ride !!

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Fun ride today.
Rough calculation puts our ride length at about 21 miles with 18 for the folks that bailed a little early.

After the long access ride we finally made it into the sweet FOMBA Singletrack. We rode:

Fireline
Woodpecker
Long Trail
Lady Slipper
Deer Run
Red Pine

Very few of my pictures came out. When your hands are cold and shaking the focus doesn't come out that great! Then again, I didn't take too many either.

Anyway needed to get up some splat pics.

Splat on the log roll:

Splat through the tunnel:

And the interesting thing about trying to take pictures while you ride. You don't notice things like the swastika on the side of the tunnel. Kinda creepy.

Back to the fun stuff, the following image has a story. My first trail day was actually the IMBA Trail Maintenance weekend at FOMBA in May of 2001. It was a blast. While the fun story I tell to this day is about us drinking beer in the parking lot of the Police Station Friday Night before the event started(Cops didn't mind, but one of the selectmen in the town complained and Saturday night was spent in the buggy field), the rest was great too. The weekend consisted of a classroom session on the first day, then we were to go and practice what we learned. On the second day we discussed our experiences from the first day and did a little more classwork then back out for trail work/planning. Each day you would have a few options for your Trail work/class for the day and on the Saturday, we were brought to a wet rocky area that needed a bridge. In the following image:
The left side is us after we planned out the bridge and had cleared most of the debris.
The middle is the completed bridge
The right side is the picture I took today.
After 6 1/2 years, I'd say the bridge has held up quite nice. There are a few interesting things to note. In the right picture, to the right, you can see the stump that's being removed in the left picture. I think it's cedar because it's still pretty much intact. Most of the trees in the picture look exactly the same size, even the smaller ones. The rocks look like they have either settled or have slowly been getting covered by silt.

And finally, Gary riding the bridge:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Missed the T.B. ride once again. Maybe next year - I love the FOMBA trails! Thanks for the pics!

toby