Quantcast

The TV Show "Over There"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:
Spend a lot of time asking the troops what they feel, do you?

(Actually, I think the majority DO feel that way... but I still find the post pretty presumptuous)

I work with soldiers and airmen who have been over in country (most of them several times) and to the man/woman they say they are PROUD to be over there.

I think its funny as hell for liberals to 'support' the troops but not the mission that the troops are wanting to be over there supporting.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
I work with soldiers and airmen who have been over in country (most of them several times) and to the man/woman they say they are PROUD to be over there.
My comment comes from my nearly opposite experience: all of my friends that are in the services, over there or not, are opposed to it. At the same time, they all recognize that they are in the minority, which is why I qualified my post. As an additional qualifier, most, but not all, of them are reservists.

Obviously the differences in what we hear is a direct reflection of who we choose as our friends. Either way, I don't like it when someone tries to speak for the whole. Speak for the majority, fine, but don't claim that they are all of one mind. That doesn't give much credit to any of their opinions.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
they are PROUD to be over there.
Add'l note: I'm guessing they are proud to SERVE their country, not simply to be over there. If W decided that their services were needed elsewhere would they be just as proud?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:
Add'l note: I'm guessing they are proud to SERVE their country, not simply to be over there. If W decided that their services were needed elsewhere would they be just as proud?

Depends on the mission... a lot of these same people were not happy to be in Kosovo compliments of Mr. Clinton.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
TheMontashu said:
The troops think that the cause they are fighting for is noble, have them stay clean up the mess, that is what they feel they are there to do and that it is a good cause. Weather you think that what they are doing is bad or what ever does not realy matter in deciding weather the troops come home or now. The troops in iraq feel good knowing that they are rebuilding the country.
Just because you FEEL that you are doing a "noble" deed does not mean that you are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
History Channel had several shows yesterday called Shootout. Most of them went over battles that happened recently in Iraq. Had some small reenactments and some commentary but mostly just Marines talking about the battles, no docudrama or political commentary, good stuff.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
ignoring the many technical and tactical details they got wrong, does anyone else have some reservations about making entertainment based on the war? Does it not seem just a little like "blood money" to be selling a TV show about an ongoing fight? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional war flick, but watching Saving Private Ryan about WWII is a LOT different to me than watching some BS on cable that's about a war that I may deploy to as early as this summer. I don't like the idea of making money off of the drama surrounding the death and destruction of soldiers and Iraqis in Iraq- it seems a bit immoral, at least at this time.

Genpowell, when were you over there, who were you with?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Westy said:
History Channel had several shows yesterday called Shootout. Most of them went over battles that happened recently in Iraq. Had some small reenactments and some commentary but mostly just Marines talking about the battles, no docudrama or political commentary, good stuff.
I saw the battle for Fallujah last night on the History channel on that show you mention, it was very well done.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Andyman_1970 said:
I saw the battle for Fallujah last night on the History channel on that show you mention, it was very well done.
Agreed, and I like how they get imput form the soldiers actual experience for each little firefight segmant

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is kind of irrelevant, but when I worked at the USGS, Discovery Channel would come in to interview scientists and get footage of people doing scientific type things for their shows. They would basically ask for / dictate the layout and contents of the shot. So say some dude is working on some machine, they'd be like;
'Ah, No - Can you pretend to do this instead?'
'But that's not what we do! - In fact that's break the machine if I actually did that!'
'Yeah, but it looks better on screen'