Quantcast

The Unemployed Thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stinky's thread about getting canned inspried me, as Friday is my last day at my job and I currently have nothing lined up.

I'm gonna go riding and spend a few days drunk on the beach before packing up and heading to my new home in Morristown, NJ.

Who else is unemployed, and how are you spending your vacation?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I may cruise up to gonefirefightin's place, see what he's got in the fridge and work security detail on his truck.

:biggrin:

GmotoT

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Portland
Ha.. good thread.

I quit last week, with nothing lined up. Just been riding alot and working on moving to Portland... where the economy is even worse!

Oh, and quit my 7 year corporate job ;)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I guess being a graduate student with a 10 hour/week student job makes me more underemployed and unemployed (still kind of poor, though).

Have fun in Morristown! I grew up about 15 minutes from there. Not a bad place to be.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've done it. I had fun, but I feel better taking care of myself (and not living off savings).
But many of us don't have somebody else bringing home the bacon so you can still live a good life, and then losing your job sucks. Making light of it kinda sucks too.

[panties=unbunched]

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If I hadn't effed up my had I'd be considering being unemployed til I moved to Qatar in the new year. But it is effed up, so I might as well just work. ass suck=1

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ha.. good thread.

I quit last week, with nothing lined up. Just been riding alot and working on moving to Portland... where the economy is even worse!

Oh, and quit my 7 year corporate job ;)
Where is the economy bad in Portland? I aint seeing it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've done it. I had fun, but I feel better taking care of myself (and not living off savings).
But many of us don't have somebody else bringing home the bacon so you can still live a good life, and then losing your job sucks. Making light of it kinda sucks too.

[panties=unbunched]
Stinkyboy is single. He should enjoy his unemployment. He's a smart kid - I bet he has some shekels saved...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Stinky's thread about getting canned inspried me, as Friday is my last day at my job and I currently have nothing lined up.

I'm gonna go riding and spend a few days drunk on the beach before packing up and heading to my new home in Morristown, NJ.

Who else is unemployed, and how are you spending your vacation?
What are you doing in NJ?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Might as well be unemployed. I got a late start on my new co. and I'm having trouble finding the capital. I need this to be up and running soon or I'm going to drown in this business.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
same thing I do here, get drunk and make an ass of myself. :busted:

actually, my gf and I got a place there. She just got a job at Kraft Foods, and all the companies I'm interviewing with are in the same area.
Redando beach to Morristown = WTF?

Don't you do something with Autocad?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Redando beach to Morristown = WTF?

Don't you do something with Autocad?
Packaging Industry = mostly in NJ.

Yes, I "do something with autocad". But its a very specialty version of AutoCAD created by a different company created specifically for designing box die lines. However, that only makes up a fraction of what I do. I'm also proficient with Solidworks / 3D design. I deal with production issues, material specs, material barrier properties, etc. At least that's what I'm trained for, most of it went to waste where I work now and I'm looking for a job that's far more challenging.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Packaging Industry = mostly in NJ.

Yes, I "do something with autocad". But its a very specialty version of AutoCAD created by a different company created specifically for designing box die lines. However, that only makes up a fraction of what I do. I'm also proficient with Solidworks / 3D design. I deal with production issues, material specs, material barrier properties, etc. At least that's what I'm trained for, most of it went to waste where I work now and I'm looking for a job that's far more challenging.
Interesting, around here there are a few packaging companies and I always wondered why they existed around here. We're only 20min from NJ. Seems like a cool job!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting, around here there are a few packaging companies and I always wondered why they existed around here. We're only 20min from NJ. Seems like a cool job!
A lot of what you do depends on what industry you're in. Pharma and food have a lot of similarities. Cosmetics has its own set of criteria. Same with automotive. *I've interviewed with companies in each of these fields.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Whoo! I'll bet that's desperately needed in Wisconsin! :D

Mmm.... cheese.... :drool:
After very little observation I have discovered that all teens are disgusting creatures that pack their bodies full of disgusting ****. One of my girls will go all day eating nothing but cheetos. Lots of ****ing cheetos. It's amazing they make it past those years. It will be an interesting challenge. WE get to teach them how to grow food and cook it, and then they get to learn the science behind it all. I am excited for the summer. We'll be spending time in the dirt.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
$unemployed_monkeys++;

Yesterday was my last day. Today, I'm going to the bank and the post office, because I haven't made it to either in weeks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DHGirlie would be proud.
I have G4 on at least one tv in my cube at all times. The guy in the cube next to me had to tape paper to his windows to keep from being distracted by Ninja Warrior!

One of the others is usually on Fox Soccer.

<edit> Alfredo is so busted. He says he's swamped at work :rofl:

Last edited:

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Unemployed...no. I am self-employed, which I am told is a euphemism for unemployed, but at least I have the coolest garage in the world aka a machine shop.
I had to lay off my own dad, which may be worse than being laid off myself.