Quantcast

The Unthinkable

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Would you take a drill to a $300+ hub, i will :devil:

My nicolai comes saturday hopefully, anyways it runs a 135x12mm thru axle. I run King hubs on my bike right now, kings have the hollow 19.5mm internal axle, so im thinking of boring my King to 12mm, to fit the new frame. Has anyone done this, know anyone whos done it, does it work. I know it will void warranty, i dont care, king doesnt advise it, i dont care. I just want to know if anyone has ever done this, because i would like to keep my king hub on this frame

Don

Apr 1, 2002
NY
machine shop, car customizing place. get that thing on a lathe. i had a PIECE OF $HIT AC dh cooler rear dh hub. they send steel bolts to go in a aluminum axel. DOUGH! jackasses.........anyways i took it to a car place, tucci enjineering if u have seen monster guarage with the hot dog car, he threw that pig on a lathe, opened her up to have a standard bmx axel threaded in. it was strong, and had real nuts on the outside. it made that hub 100 times better than those wankers could do. i had a very bad time w/ the owner and his lack of customer service skills. wanker..... ok im done, lathe man its sweet.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I have done that! It' no problem at all.

You need the Funboltaxle, forget the standard.

Actually, it's not that much to remove. The treads inside are MF12. You are only removing the treads.

I would defenately use a lathe.

Espen

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Espen
I have done that! It' no problem at all.

You need the Funboltaxle, forget the standard.

Actually, it's not that much to remove. The treads inside are MF12. You are only removing the treads.

I would defenately use a lathe.

Espen
I dont even need the funbolt axle, i could just bore out the standard one to 12mm which isnt removing much material, and then i can machine two slits (think flat head screwdriver style) into the hub endcaps so that i can still open up the hub with some tools i'll make to fit the slats

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
i was planning on that ;)
I already put a speedhole on that thing..(ie: der loop)...:D

I have a gold Hadley 135mmx12mm 32H rear disc hub that would go perfectly on that frame (hell, it was on that frame last year). Practically new (refurb, new bearings and new freehub body)..hadley can be converted from 12mm to 10mm(9) just by changing the cups.. SPAM :p

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Oooo, hadlys are fancy and just need new cups to be converted, all i need to convert a king is a $1.50 drillbit if i decide to go ghetto style :D
How much to convert the king back?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
man i always love orven's avatars. they are soo hot....

oh yeea, go Hadley.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I like to go safe, thats why I use the onepiece Funboltaxle. This axle got a way better bearingadjustment system too. The standard axle got less material, and if you'r gonna make slits too, theres not much less.

Hey dude, 45$ is'nt that much??

Hadleys are great hubs but, Kings are lighter, got superb bearings and got the wonderful ringdrive engagement.

e