Quantcast

The Video Find of the Day!!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yah, to bad the young guys on here would not understand. If it were not for those guys in that video MTB would not be what it is today.....

Thanks to all those guys for giving us such a great sport!!!!!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Dave Voelker! I haven't heard that name in years! I remember a GT ad of him wallriding the side of a box car on a black GT bmx bike with a curved top tube. I loved that ad as it reminds me of a local spot with rail cars lined up, everytime I drive by I think of setting up a kicker so I can be just like Dave.

OB1

Monkey
Voelker right where I remember him...on the boardwalks of San Diego. Scene after scene of my main riding spot growing up, Mission Trails. I used to cross paths with all these guys back then. Honda Hills, Twin Palms, and yes Staplerzzz...that is Sheep Hills. I have videos of my friends and I at all those spots during that same spec of time. Talk about memories! That was fun to watch........I'm dustin off my 20 tomorrow! This is gonna be ugly.

Mar 1, 2005
Freeriders think there so bad ass take any bmxer and put them on a mtb and they well kick there butt. rode with matt hoffman and tim hall in austin back in 1991 at the iron man street contest . Never have i seen 20ft plus wall rides matt is the sickest mofo .

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Sick vid. That was exactly the time when I started MTBing. Bar ends were the norm back then!

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
I was 6 when I used to ride sheep hills (1996-7). Brian and Alan foster, Todd, Shaun Butler and more were always ripping the place up. At the time I thought nothing of them except that they were great riders. I didn't realize at that age how important they were to the biking community.

On a side note, I didn't know before this video that Alan foster, and Todd Lyons rode mountain bikes, I always associated them with dirt jumping and BMX racing.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sick vid. It's hard to believe the difference in technology from then to now- how bikes have evolved and all. Even though the jumps, drops and tricks have gotten bigger and the speeds have gotten faster, the riding there is still impressive.

Matt Hoffman doing a backflip on a bike with bar ends? Dudes DJing in spandex and not being called "gay" 600 times? How times have changed.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Great job on the Write up. I think more of this should be around to teach those that don't really know where our sport came from.

I remember back in the day when I road Vert and had my real first FreeStyle bike (a Pink and White GT Performer) how cool it would be to be on the GT FreeStyle Team. It was so cool to watch them in person back then and on TV too.

Cecil

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
Eddie was a pretty decent BMX rider back in the day...
Eddie Roman was more than just a decent rider back in the day, he was actually a really good rider. I did a show with the Skyway team in 1988, the roster was Eddie, Matt Hoffman, Scotty Freeman and the legendary Kevin Jones. Eddie more than held his own with those guys and to stand out in a group like that, you had to be more than just decent...