Quantcast

The War on Christmas

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
He's a tool. So suddenly every has to subscribe to his view of christmas and all other religions be dammed?

I'm buddhist and usually say happy holidays, out of respect for all the different people and religions that have holidays during the end of year. If someone wants to wish me have a "killer Kwanza", or "merry christmas" or whatever..that's their business.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' causes stir at school
Wilmington, N.C. — "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" caused a stir at a New Hanover County school. A parent complained about the song's religious reference and got it pulled from her child's kindergarten Christmas show at Murrayville Elementary School.

The song was pulled “because it had the word Christmas in it,” said Rick Holliday, assistant school superintendent.

A Jewish mother, who didn't want her name published, objected to what she called "religious overtones" in the song. So the principal agreed to pull it from the program.
inconveniently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marks
Johnny Marks (November 10, 1909 - September 3, 1985) was a Jewish-American songwriter. He is remembered today for his Christmas songs which include "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer"

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
It's not even the religious aspect of Christmas that I hate, It is the seemingly mandatory consumerism that pisses me off. "Buy all this **** or people will think you're an asshole."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
As the only Jewish kid in a 50 mile blast radius, I had to endure endless chior sessions and Christmas plays at my local public elementary school. After spending 4 years of failing to convince the school to tone down the "Heilige Nacht" every year for my older brother, my mother just gave up, threw me to the Christians, and hoped for the best. Somehow I survived with my identity and lack of faith intact.

I can appreciate this woman's position, but RTRNRD is hardly about leg humping baby Jesus, and is culturally significant (as sad as that sounds). I think a better approach than trying to exclude Christmas songs would be to try to include cross-cultural, cross-religion, or secular songs in the cannon.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
America is a Christian nation, and if you are going to substitute the word Holiday for Christmas, you are surrendering to the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Satanists...

I commend O'Reilly for sticking up for Christmas!!!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
America is a Christian nation, and if you are going to substitute the word Holiday for Christmas, you are surrendering to the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Satanists...

I commend O'Reilly for sticking up for Christmas!!!!!

Freedom of Religion, as long as it's at least Christan based.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As the only Jewish kid in a 50 mile blast radius, I had to endure endless chior sessions and Christmas plays at my local public elementary school. After spending 4 years of failing to convince the school to tone down the "Heilige Nacht" every year for my older brother, my mother just gave up, threw me to the Christians, and hoped for the best. Somehow I survived with my identity and lack of faith intact.

I can appreciate this woman's position, but RTRNRD is hardly about leg humping baby Jesus, and is culturally significant (as sad as that sounds). I think a better approach than trying to exclude Christmas songs would be to try to include cross-cultural, cross-religion, or secular songs in the cannon.
We were taught some dradeil song and had to make them every year. We used them to gamble for quarters.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Christmas has degenerated into mindless consumerism.

I'm over Christmas.

And yet, I still find myself being Santa for the guests...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
As the only Jewish kid in a 50 mile blast radius, I had to endure endless chior sessions and Christmas plays at my local public elementary school.
i remember those. although we did make sure to sing, "dreidel, dreidel, dreidel," for the jewish kids.