Quantcast

The Watchmen

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just went to the midnight showing of The Watchmen.

Fantastic, just as you would expect.

Go see it.

"...should meet the needs of any leering nineteen-year old who believes that America is ruled by the military-industrial complex, and whose deepest fear - deeper even than that of meeting a woman who requests intelligent conversation - is that the warren Commission may have been right all along."

Anthony Lane in the March 9th New Yorker

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
"...should meet the needs of any leering nineteen-year old who believes that America is ruled by the military-industrial complex, and whose deepest fear - deeper even than that of meeting a woman who requests intelligent conversation - is that the warren Commission may have been right all along."
Well that explains why DirtMcGirk liked it :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went to see it Wed and didn't think it was that great...
but that's just me..

Did you read it also? Just trying to figure out for those that don't like it, if its because you didn't feel it was a good adaptation, or if you just saw it as a movie if it stunk?

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
So they didn't like it, big whoop. Go see it yourself and form your own opinion.
Ill wait for it to come out on DVD. If it isnt good, turning off the TV when I spent $1 at the red box is easier than walking out or watching a 3 hour movie that I spent $10 to see.

I would like to hear what people liked or didnt like about the movie.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I like violence, and the Comedian is a long time hero of mine, so I liked it.

I noticed that his oppressive blue dong was different sizes throughout the movie. Maybe I was looking too close.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I like violence, and the Comedian is a long time hero of mine, so I liked it.

I noticed that his oppressive blue dong was different sizes throughout the movie. Maybe I was looking too close.
My oppressive slightly tan dong is different sizes depending on what kind of oppressing it gets to do.

Looking forward to seeing this...I haven't read the book. I enjoyed Sin City, 300, even V for Vendetta. Looks sweet.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i was expecting a death ray to come out of it or it would get long and he would use it as a lasso.....like wonder womans lasso.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The acting was a little wooden, but there were scenes that shocked me, and when I first read the Watchmen, I had to wait each month for a new issue to be released.

I could only imagine people who thought this might be Superman.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I'm a big fan, I do think that if I saw it more times I'd like it more. And I have read to novel. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember liking it moe than the movie. Still a fan of the movie though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"Wooden" is being kind to Malin Ackerman's performance.
She was pretty bad, and frankly, not that hot.

Compare it to Robert Downey Jr and Jeff Bridges in Iron Man. One of my favorite scenes is the two of them arguing over a pizza.

She could have been blowing donkeys and it was have been kinda boring.

I thought Haley was not creepy enough, and when the guy who was playing the Comedian shoots his pregnant Vietnamese girlfriend then criticizes Dr Manhattan about his growing distance from humanity, I've seen more passion and anguish over a late pizza delivery.

The only acting bit I kinda enjoyed is when the Comedian was suppressing a riot. He really emphasized how violent he was and how much he enjoyed it.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Yah the (not so) little blue dude was a bit off putting.

Very violent, that put me off a little bit. Bit strange in general, otherwise not bad. I won't be revisiting it on DVD though like I generally do with movies I really like.

"I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me" (said by a character to an entire prison population) is one of the best movie lines I ever heard though-that bit was genuinely funny.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yah the (not so) little blue dude was a bit off putting.

Very violent, that put me off a little bit. Bit strange in general, otherwise not bad. I won't be revisiting it on DVD though like I generally do with movies I really like.

"I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me" (said by a character to an entire prison population) is one of the best movie lines I ever heard though-that bit was genuinely funny.
That could be the saving grace of the film, the novel it was based on.

That was a line directly from Alan Moore, but in the book, it was relayed by his psychologist for an abstract effect. I've been waiting to hear Rorschach utter it aloud since then.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I read the novel and didn't like the movie as much as I was hoping I would. For me, the only redeeming performance was Jackie Earle Haley. Rorschach was my favorite character from the novel and I was anxious to see how accurate the performance would be. I thought his mannerisms and speech patterns were spot on. His scenes as Kovacs in prison were my favorites of the film.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Personally I liked it for entertainment's sake. I didn't expect an amazing, gut-wrenching performance from any of the actors, nor did I really care about a a microcosm for the problems in our world like the New Yorker hoped for. Rather, I wanted to see a violent, grapic(al) movie with a quick plotline and great editing, and that's exactly what I got.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I had low expectations after the disappointing "300" and the overall mixed reviews of the movie. This movie exceeded my expectation in every way. Bravo!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I read this before watching the movie and was thinking I was in for a giant blue dong in my face the whole time, pulsating, changing size and who knows what. I was relieved to discover that it wasn't so noticeable. So yes, you seem to have been staring intently at the dong. Weird.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I like blue wang. Don't paint me as the Jim McGreevey of smurf cock.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
This movie kicked serious ass! I loved it!

I never read the comic (Hate DC comics for the most part), and now I regret my comicism.