Quantcast

The west needs something rediculous to protest about...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Isnt there something we can find deeply offending (Other than ourselves) to protest about. I mean seriously, I'm ready to burn sh!t... some one tell me what to be deeply offended by.

Does anyone actually have a pic of this supposedly deeply offending cartoon? Its a cartoon, how bad can it be?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
golgiaparatus said:
Isnt there something we can find deeply offending (Other than ourselves) to protest about. I mean seriously, I'm ready to burn sh!t... some one tell me what to be deeply offended by.

Does anyone actually have a pic of this supposedly deeply offending cartoon? Its a cartoon, how bad can it be?
We can protest N8. He's pretty offensive.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
golgiaparatus said:
For reasons that have escaped me, it is extremely bad taste to portray Muhammad. People should have more sense than to push buttons that don't need pushing (aka. give terrorists more reason to think the entire world is against them, etc).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's interesting how when at every G8 meeting or world economic forum forum there are thousands of protesters and inevitably violence but that's (quite rightly) not taken as being representative of what most people feel or think in the West. However a few thousand Muslims protest and they are somehow representing all of Islam. More double standards.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
I guess a lot of Muslims feel the same way about the cartoons that Jews feel about Swastikas. While Muslims never suffered a Holocaust, they did have the Inquisition. To them the cartoons represent the type of hate that leads to massacres, kind of like swastikas.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Actually, I stand corrected. If you belive the Iraq body count stats, 28-30 thousand killed. In a way you can say that Muslims are in a way suffering a type of "Holocaust" started by Americans cleverly invading and starting a civil war. Maybe not as systematic as the real Holocaust, but the results are the similar. I hope Jews and Muslims realize this is something they can have in common.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Then maybe Jews and Muslims can work together to hate Christians (who haven't yet been the victim of any genocides).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
budgetrider said:
Actually, I stand corrected. If you belive the Iraq body count stats, 28-30 thousand killed. In a way you can say that Muslims are in a way suffering a type of "Holocaust" started by Americans cleverly invading and starting a civil war. Maybe not as systematic as the real Holocaust, but the results are the similar. I hope Jews and Muslims realize this is something they can have in common.
Well muslims have been getting killed on a larger scale before the US intervened. But if you needed a poster child to blame for deaths (even though theyre less meaningless this time around) I guess you could just point your finger at the west. Why not?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
budgetrider said:
Then maybe Jews and Muslims can work together to hate Christians (who haven't yet been the victim of any genocides).
You sure do know your history.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
budgetrider said:
Well I guess you could call WWI Christian against Christian genocide.
Theres really a bunch of examples. Lots of stuff in Africa, ancient Rome, the protestants got it pretty bad a few times...

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
What's up with Christians anyway? When they're not killing each other they're killing Muslims, Jews, and enslaving blacks.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
budgetrider said:
What's up with Christians anyway? When they're not killing each other they're killing Muslims, Jews, and enslaving blacks.
I dont think theyre any worse than the muslims, really. Seems any large group with power is corrupt.
I do think that Christianity teaches good things in its simplest form, but the organized part of it ruins everything. Probably the same with Islam, but Im not an expert.

As for enslaving people, thats hardly a religious phenomenon. Been going on forever. The term slave comes from "Slavic" people, ie russians, poles, etc. They were whites enslaved from way back.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Someone's got to start a religion where you don't get forgiven for your sins. Cause if you think about it even Bush can goto heaven under the Jesus clause. He can give lots of tax breaks to the rich, take away medicare for the poor, and send a bunch of people to their deaths for oil, and still rub noses with Momma Theresa when he's dead.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
budgetrider said:
Idi Amin, Sadam Hussein, Slobadan Milosevich were all humanitarians?

If you're going to make blanket statements, at least try to be un-biased.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
budgetrider said:
Someone's got to start a religion where you don't get forgiven for your sins. Cause if you think about it even Bush can goto heaven under the Jesus clause. He can give lots of tax breaks to the rich, take away medicare for the poor, and send a bunch of people to their deaths for oil, and still rub noses with Momma Theresa when he's dead.
I think that's been done, and it's called Buddhism. The Buddhist concept of karma means that you get what you deserve somewhere along the line. Historically, some ugliness has occasionally been perpetrated under the guise of Buddhism, but it seems to be the most pacifist and introspective of all organized religions.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
jaydee said:
I think that's been done, and it's called Buddhism. The Buddhist concept of karma means that you get what you deserve somewhere along the line. Historically, some ugliness has occasionally been perpetrated under the guise of Buddhism, but it seems to be the most pacifist and introspective of all organized religions.
I guess Buddhism is the answer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
BurlyShirley said:
Theres really a bunch of examples. Lots of stuff in Africa, ancient Rome, the protestants got it pretty bad a few times...
Not a whole lot of those, I believe, could be touted as genocides- too small a scale and without enough concentrated action for the most part.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
budgetrider said:
Yeah, and I am sure that Jews, Muslims and pagans have never done any of that kind of stuff.:rolleyes:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
W4S said:
Idi Amin, Sadam Hussein, Slobadan Milosevich were all humanitarians?

If you're going to make blanket statements, at least try to be un-biased.
Yes, blanket statements are faulty logic, but your logic is just as faulty. Whether the original statement is true or false, it was about a specific group of individuals. Pointing to people outside that group of individuals does not refute the tendencies or attributes of those inside the group.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Old Man G Funk said:
Yes, blanket statements are faulty logic, but your logic is just as faulty. Whether the original statement is true or false, it was about a specific group of individuals. Pointing to people outside that group of individuals does not refute the tendencies or attributes of those inside the group.
I wasn't trying to refute his statement as he was clearly asserting through his other posts in the thread that somehow Jews, muslims and blacks did not participate in genocide. I showed that that is not the case. How is that faulty logic?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
W4S said:
I wasn't trying to refute his statement as he was clearly asserting through his other posts in the thread that somehow Jews, muslims and blacks did not participate in genocide. I showed that that is not the case. How is that faulty logic?
It's not at all clear that budgetrider is asserting the Jews, Muslims, and Blacks have never participated in genocide. BR did say that Jews have been the victim of genocide, that Muslims might be viewing the current situation as a genocide and might find common cause with the Jews through this, but no mention of those groups never committing genocide. I don't believe there's any mention of Blacks anywhere, except as being enslaved.