Quantcast

The wheelset that bikebling built!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So I needed a back up race set to my current I9s and wanted it to be lighter but strong and able t deal with taking a bash or 2.
I called my buddy Rob over at bikebling who used to lace and build wheels for the Intense DH team and told him I wanted a bling set and gave him the colors of the bike... Said surprise me.

He did, he had 721s powder coated white laced them up to Blue Hadley hubs and white DT comp spokes double butted with a single black soke to the schrader on the drive side of both wheels.... YEP I was surprised.

3 cross 36 spoke

2289g complete
1220 g rear
1061 g front

Im happy with the weight as they are PCd, 36 spoke and hadleys are a tad bit heavier but 72 point engagement is cool... Like the way they look and they are tubeless with a XTR cassette on em now with rotors...

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
This comment is only partially related to your wheel set, but big ups to Bike Bling! I order a lot of my stuff from there and am a very satisfied customer.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
yay! :thumb: like white spokes and rims ..one black spoke pointing to schrader.. not bad idea

have actually thought of 721 but took 823 instead..

it will be interesting to see how 721 will hold up.

/me who use hadleys too

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yay! :thumb: like white spokes and rims ..one black spoke pointing to schrader.. not bad idea

have actually thought of 721 but took 823 instead..

it will be interesting to see how 721 will hold up.

/me who use hadleys too
Kind of curious.... i smacked up the i9 rim pretty bad took pokers out to bend back the rim so tires would stay on.... so ill clean that set up while i hammer on these... excited to see how they fair lots of good reviews by alot of different guys over the years so on that im pretty comfortable.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like the wheels, I need to get a pair of spare wheels built, I am thinking Hadley or king but I want to try the 721, my 729 wheels seem a little overkill.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
does a higher Mavic rim # mean a beefier rim? 717, 721, 823
Rim width is the last two numbers first number is the series (i.e. 21mm 23mm 29mm), 7 is the best tube rim 8 is the tubeless rim, 3 series is the cheap rim 5 is slightly better then the 3.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Nice wheel set. My 721s lasted a couple of months even though I ran over 25 PSI. Still I like them and will use them again but only on race day. At 190 I am hard on wheels and need to stick to 729 and 823s.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
36 spoke and hadleys are a tad bit heavier but 72 point engagement is cool... Like the way they look and they are tubeless with a XTR cassette on em now with rotors...
Why did you choose 36 ?? Heavier and unnecessary IMO ?

Then what kind of flaps did you put on ? I currently use the Maxxis but they're now unavailable this side of the ocean ?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Schwalbes are the tire of choice and the Muddy marys have had WAY too many positives to run anything else...

Yeah I went Schwalbe 20 Light weight tubes and did ghetto on them, as far as reliability I have crushed alot of the other rims and I figured what the hell... Im glad it went 721 direction Ive been wanting to run them for 2 years now and didnt because everytime I was going to i always went 823 or like...

I went 36 spoke for flex and duerability at 238 lbs I can handle 2 extra spokes and justify them as well, they were supposed to be 4 cross but didnt have spokes on hand in that length..