Quantcast

The Whole Shebang

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Middle Fork Snoqualmie Trail

28 miles 2800' cumulative elevation

Seems like many people on this ride were pretty tired like me. Labor Day weekend could not have come at a better time for some of us tired from chasing that dollar.
For those fimiliar with the trail, the route consisted of riding up the trail to the Dingford Creek Bridge. At that point we rode up the forest road to the Middle Fork Trailhead at Dutch Miller Gap.

The views from the top of the forest road are pretty nice. Usually on a river trail you're so immersed in a forest valley you rarely get to see outside of it.

Up until last year from a Borneo ride report was i aware the trail even existed above the Goldmeyer Hot Springs. That was the highest point i had been to. Since we had rode the forest road and just descended this section of singletrack i enjoyed this section. Mostly descending, mildly primitive, and very scenic.

Ran into a few guys i had ridden with before thru the club doing the harder route by doing the trail as a complete out and back. Definately a more challenging route.

The whole trail is pretty technical, rarely a section where you can just ride and spin. And several sections where you're having the throw the bike over varied obstacle.

Like a stated prior i never was aware of the section of trail above the Hot Spring, so seeing this little set up just off the trail right before you enter the Goldmeyer area was really neat.

Our fearless leader rolling over a rocky section of trail. i've ridden with Lisa numerous times over the seasons, she's a cool mudhunnie
The rock work was completed by the BBTC in a work party i attended earlier in the year. Hopefully we can get more people out there to attend more, it's a great place to hike and work.

And the approach back to the Dingford Creek Bridge where we were originally going for a swim. Although the group was pretty tired and were ready to finish up the ride with riding back down the last stretch of singletrack.

Was a very tiring ride all things considered, but beyond the aches and pains and exhaustion i was glad i was able to ride it all. Doing the whole shebang makes the ride very challenging. The lower, the middle (from Dingford to the Hotsprings) and the upper sections all add it's own hint of backcountry goodness. But they all work you with a barrage of climbing, technical descending, and many natural technical features. The look on the map can really decieve you in that it appears to be mostly flat, but honestly this kind of ride wipes me out more than a big mountain epic.
This trail is open to mt. bikes on a trial basis. Next year will be the last year, and i'm in hopes that it will remain for us to ride for many years to come.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i thank you for going on these long rides and taking photos so that i don't have to :D . nice pics and writeup, skookum.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey thanks all, i thought alot of these shots were pretty crummy but what do i know haha....

Yah i just wanted to chime in and say i'll be doing some more ride reports as the fall approaches. So stay tuned, i'm pretty excited on a few upcoming rides i have planned. One is gonna be a HUGE (for me anyways) epic ride. Really there are so many rides i want to do and i can't squeeze em all in before the snow hits.

This season just seems like it's rolling on by way too fast this year, i'm still very hungry for epic views and goin plaid on big descents.

Oh and Kev those chicks all look kinda scary... the one on the right has an adams apple!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cool pics, Skooks.

However, I would have preferrred the whole kit 'n kaboodle, the full monty, the whole nine yards, or even everything but the kitchen sink.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
While not, "The whole shebang", Lisa and I rode the upper 2/3rds yesterday after we got a little rain early last weekend and conditions were stellar. The group was 5 and despite a few mechanicals and 2 flats, we knocked out the 17 miles in 3:40. Not enough daylight for an out and back on the lower 5.5 mile section so we crossed the bridge back over to the Dingford lot and called it a day.

While not the stellar ride that McKenzie is, this ride is just shy of it. The upper 2/3rds in particular are as wild and as scenic as you'll find anywhere and the trail bed is just technical enough to keep you honest if you gawk at the scenery too much. when they pave the 11 mile road out to the trailhead, traffic will go way up there. But, it's still a gem so close to Seattle. And, warm late summer days are a perfect time to experience it. Here: "Ride with Bob" off link. http://www.mgrc.org/lisa/lisa.html