Quantcast

Thigh/coccyx protecting undershorts?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I know this is probably the least cool type of body armour given the trend for knee pads and neck braces only, but I've been thinking about getting some thigh and coccyx protecting undershorts for DH. I'd probably only use them on the rougher race tracks (Ft. Bill etc.), but I thought there's no point in driving for hours to get to a race only to sit it out cos you've got a dead leg. I've also heard a bruised coccyx is no fun at all.

I'd just like to hear if anybody uses them, if they have any recommendations, and in particular if they have tried the Alpinestars Bionic shorts?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46259

These are the ones I'm looking at just now, which is mainly due to the use of hard plastic plates. I'm not convinced of how effective softer foams and rubbers would be when it comes to piercing impacts on rocks, which is the main reason I'm getting them for. Lets hear what you've got though.

Cheers

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I had the 661 pro bomber shorts, which saved me a couple times. The hard plastic shell is uncomfortable and makes pedaling more difficult. The Alpinestars looks similar.

I switched to POC shorts with the VPD cocyx protector, these fit better, the thigh protection is softer, but works great, and pedaling is not affected much... I just tested it a few times this weekend, riding a very steep dh area with a bit of snow and ice on the trails. The downside is the lycra pocket that holds the VPD tailbone protector isn't strong enough, so I'm going to have to get the corners reinforced. These shorts should be constructed better for the price, IMO.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
SixSixOne replaced the Pro Bomber shorts with the Elite Bomber shorts this year. Wore my new pair for the first time yesterday. All fabric with the molded hard foam hip/thigh and coccyx pads. They felt odd at first and I wondered if they were going to limited movement; but I quickly forgot they were even there.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Take a look at the Rockgardn stuff - the CYA short is what I have in mind. 2 Layers of foam with a hard plastic in between. I have been really happy with the other stuff of theirs I have owned.

EVS also makes a decent looking short with the same intent (the Ultimate). I have not tried either one though.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Davec: Good to hear some feedback, but not what I wanted to hear unfortunately. :( Would you definitely not recommend the hard plastic shell, or was it that pair in particular do you think? I'd like to try POC stuff but it's a bit too much £££ for me I'm afraid.

MinorThreat: I had also looked at the 661 shorts but sort of discounted them because of the lack of hard shell. I notice the description says the thigh protection is toughened, is it quite stiff or does it mould to your leg?

Rigidhack: Just had a look at the Rockgarden there, didn't realise it had plastic in the layer. They look like they offer a lot of protection, but look pretty bulky at the same time. As in I don't know if my shorts would fit too well with them!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
MinorThreat: I had also looked at the 661 shorts but sort of discounted them because of the lack of hard shell. I notice the description says the thigh protection is toughened, is it quite stiff or does it mould to your leg?
The hip pad is pretty stiff and is molded pre-curved a bit. I was bummed at first when I missed the last of the hard-shell Bomber shorts when they closed them out. But so far I think I'm going to like these just as much if not more. The pad in my mind will be every bit as tough while being less restrictive. The placement of the pads is spot-on.

Be aware that it does have a thin chamois built into it; so if you don't like them, it might not be right for you. It's not a large or obtrusive one - - not much different than the REI cyling briefs I used to wear under my race shorts anyway.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
i've been looking into something like this.
I'm so damn bony it really hurts to fall on my hips or tail bone. No naturally padding for me..

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ +1. I've gone down hard on my old hips three times in the last couple seasons (twice in the same Whistler week last year); and I don't like being numb for a week afterward.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Dalybaws, these are the only ones I would even look at these days:

Pictured is the four layer, which is a bit bulky unless you're about to jump the Grand Canyon or something. Give better protection than hard armour (theres stuff about it on their site http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/technology.asp, or Kt can give a very detailed run through!) and they mould to your shape too. Very pricey though which is the only drawback, but I can probably give you a loan of mine to try (haven't been worn since last washed) if you want.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river

Pictured is the four layer, which is a bit bulky unless you're about to jump the Grand Canyon or something. Give better protection than hard armour (theres stuff about it on their site http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/technology.asp, or Kt can give a very detailed run through!) and they mould to your shape too. Very pricey though which is the only drawback, but I can probably give you a loan of mine to try (haven't been worn since last washed) if you want.
Jeebus those things are expensive! Do they REALLY do all that much more than the other options?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland

Yeah I remember you had them now, is it kind of telling though that you don't wear them that often?! Anyway, I've no doubt they work but they are eye wateringly expensive (more so than the POC stuff) and their technology site is pretty vague on why they are anything more than a rubbery material moulded in a funky pattern. Maybe Katie can explain!

I think at the moment I'm trying to decide between the 661 Bomber Elite, and maybe these other soft foam Alpinestars ones, read a review which said they were pretty comfy, although they do seem pretty basic:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38535

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
They'll still get worn for Glencoe, Ft Bill and the like- just wearing less armour these days really. Steer clear of the d3o stuff mentioned above, every report i've seen says its crap- again resident expert kt can elaborate. Iirc i got a more than 60% off the forcefield stuff on a shop deal.

Foam can be ok, but tends to wear out like my old ones did