Quantcast

Things you can't bring yourself to throw out.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You got anything that is well and truly past its use by date but you keep it because it was so awesome?
I bought this jacket in 2001 and I just can't bring myself to dispose of it.
It was the first proper WP jacket I'd bought and I didn't realise how awesome it was until I tried to find a replacement a few years later.
8798348475701783012.jpg

-5237419165082387074.jpg

2680337823851487720.jpg

Dropped tail, pit zips, two way hood adjust at the back, pre bent sleeves, elastic and velcro cuffs means you don't have to adjust the cuff every time you check the time and no crap gets in.

The two of us spent many rainy days out in the bush digging trails, good times.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you seen my garage? :rofl:

I've actually been going through it every so often. I have gotten very "old man" in my old age. I swear I'm going to use it or finish it eventually and yet, here we are. I have a big box of VHS tapes (skate and snowboard videos mostly) I swear I'm going to convert to digital media. I have moved that box to 3 different houses in 12 years unopened.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I’ve got this old vest with a wind proof front and vented back that I still wear all the time. It’s ugly as heck, super dated looking, and has this Velcro on it that sticks to everything when it goes through the wash. I should find a replacement for it, the thing is like 25+ years old.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
-my cracked nomad frame.
-a 36 i should sell but keep on hand as a backup.
-a bunch of dishes and silver from my wife's family that i'm too lazy to take to a consignment shop
-i still wear my north face shell from 1997. it's still great.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have a bunch of cracked frames now. One day I'll have a place to hang them on a wall. I'd feel bad about paying to take them to the local trash dump - can they even be recycled here?

Between moving around and whatnot, I don't own a ton of stuff. I guess I've learned to purge what I don't need or use anymore. But I do have a lot of clothes sitting in drawers that I just don't wear or don't fit anymore - I need to get off my arse and sling them into the local shelter donation bin.

I'm now proud to admit that I toss socks and boxers the moment they start developing a hole. I am no longer on the swiss cheese boxer train program.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
-i still wear my north face shell from 1997. it's still great.
Mt Light? I still have mine that is 1995-ish vintage. Also have a TNF Denali fleece from the same time frame that has seen better days but is still functional.

I'd feel bad about paying to take them to the local trash dump - can they even be recycled here?
if they are aluminium they should take them. I recycled my wife's old Trek alu frame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Trying to find 36x8mm shock hardware locally and both online. Extremely rare online and shops are an even more longshot. Realized last night I actually have one in my parts box, a 2-peice setup. Sonofabitch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Accelerators? I have my old pair floating around somewhere. Also my first clipless shoe.
I loved their marketing: American shoes for american feet. I guess I have american feet as they fit me superbly. :think:
yup. with the red shimano dh pedals.

speaking of things i haven't thrown out....... i have found a better box for the intense.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got a shitload of old hockey trophies from my deck hockey days in my 20's and 30's. Championship trophies, scoring trophies, a few MVP trophies....these things are just collecting dust in the corner of my basement. This is a fraction of them. They are just taking up space. But, I won all of these, god dammit.

20230530_121444.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I collect nothing.

My wife on the other hand,.....
I don't "collect" things necessarily.
I've got a shitload of old hockey trophies from my deck hockey days in my 20's and 30's. Championship trophies, scoring trophies, a few MVP trophies....these things are just collecting dust in the corner of my basement. This is a fraction of them. They are just taking up space. But, I won all of these, god dammit.

View attachment 194481
You need a proper trophy room dammit.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I struggle with it. I also hate selling shit so I give it away or throw it away. I’ve been meaning to post some bike stuff on here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I struggle with it. I also hate selling shit so I give it away or throw it away. I’ve been meaning to post some bike stuff on here.
i'm perfectly fine giving things away if the alternative is a landfill. we donate a lot to charitable organizations that take household goods.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I hate when my brain betrays me. I’ll look at an item and decide I want it gone from the house, even if I have to toss it. Then my brain decides that item could be sold, and immediately decides I need to maximize to disposition proceeds, even if that means it sits in the house unsold.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Here’s a classic, I can’t stand what IMBA does. I never wear this shirt in public. It’s worn out.
But they gave it to me in 2005 for recognition of pioneering trail systems in Teton Valley, many of which they wouldn’t build themselves. I found that humorous.
I guess I paint and shit in it?

1A952319-6E16-47AA-BD27-B3D40C864492.jpeg

F859C688-EBC3-4109-97C7-95E1297ED349.jpeg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hate when my brain betrays me. I’ll look at an item and decide I want it gone from the house, even if I have to toss it. Then my brain decides that item could be sold, and immediately decides I need to maximize to disposition proceeds, even if that means it sits in the house unsold.
I do this from time to time as well. I usually get mad enough to Goodwill it. But sometimes I just can't bring myself to.

Here’s a classic, I can’t stand what IMBA does. I never wear this shirt in public. It’s worn out.
But they gave it to me in 2005 for recognition of pioneering trail systems in Teton Valley, many of which they wouldn’t build themselves. I found that humorous.
I guess I paint and shit in it?

View attachment 194534
View attachment 194535
I get into conversations about that in which they're uncomfortable.