Quantcast

Things you hate other drivers doing!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Not merging on the highway properly.
Why do these people think that the best way to get on a highway is to stop? The merge lane is there for a reason! Get up to the speed limit and slide in.

Dilly dallying at a stop light.
This is especially annoying when turning left when there is an arrow. Also drivers that leave too much space between them and the car in front. It drives me nuts when I'm in a huge line and these numbskulls almost wait until the car in front of them is finished turning before turning. Then only a few people can get through the intersection! A car length or two is all you need when you are only going 15mph. The US needs to adopt the British stoplights that turn on the yellow light before turning off the red and turning on the green. It gives people a heads up that they are next. Also in this category are people that don't have the mental capacity to deal with multiple lanes turning. They get all freaked out when the car next to them is turning or they will ignore the lanes and cut people off.

Whew... I need to take a break.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
-people pulling through a parking spot to the one in front of it....while im trying to pull in

-people using the "suicide lane" here in PA to force their way into oncoming traffic.

also:

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
driving below traffic speed in the left lane...fvcking road boulders

same morons realise that they are almost past their exit and cut across all lanes of traffic and the gore point to exit cutting everyone else off in the process.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I think we should just be like most European countries when it comes to driving. All of our driving issues in this country could be solved with better driver's ed and driver's training. Driver training should be like at least 1yr with included skid pad exercises. My drivers ed was a joke. Took only a couple months and then passed a MULTIPLE CHOICE test that was common sense. If I hadn't gone to driving school (to get certified for a race license) there wouldn't have been any further steps. I had learned nothing about how cars behave during drivers ed. I just learned that going faster than the speed limit is bad and you should check the tire pressure in all four tires before starting the engine :confused: :think:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Also drivers that leave too much space between them and the car in front.
I like to leave plenty of space between me and the person in front of me that way I have room to get out of the way if an inattentive driver was to not notice the red light, but maybe I'm overly cautious/paranoid. I do hurry and close the gap if it's a light that won't be green long.

For me:
Stopping at a turn at in intersection that specifically says, "lane continues, stop not required."

EDIT:
That video reminds me of when I unknowingly brake-checked a cop a few years back. Scary stuff.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I think it should be legal to fire a small revolver from your car on Friday afternoons. Not to kill people, just as a signaling tool. Trying to get over, but the codger in the other lane is legally blind? Put two hot ones in his fender.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR FREAKIN TURN SIGNALS ON FOR MILES! Major pet peeve. I should keep a crossbow in my car to shoot out tail lights when that happens. Or better yet, mount one on my hood.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I drive way too much...upwards of 25,000 miles a year.
Same here, but I have just gotten so blasé about other drivers. Nothing bothers me anymore. I didn't realize this until my friend was riding with me a few months ago and this drunk redneck fishtails his truck and it starts flipping RIGHT in front of us. Like 50 feet in front of us. I casually slipped around the maelstrom of flying tools and dogs and pulled off the road to call highway patrol. My friends like "Dood, you didn't even BLINK."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think people turn into assholes once they insulate themselves behind a thin layer of glass and steel. They act in ways they never would face to face with someone.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
respect. the highest i averaged was 35k. driving that much, you become numb to all the asinine people around you
I'll drive 50 miles home and not be able to recall a single thing I saw/noticed the whole drive. It becomes robotic, especially the commute to/from work.

I've actually calmed down quite a bit in the past couple years in terms of road rage/aggression towards dink drivers. I think moving out to the boonies played a major role in that.:thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
our driving issues in this country could be solved with better driver's ed and driver's training
It would solve many problems... at least it would certify that drivers have basic demonstrated knowledge of how to control their vehicles. I'd also like to see periodic retests say, every 20 years... and a medical.

The policy suggests that safety can be gambled away for increased consumption.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Two biggest things for me are driving extremely slow and not knowing how a god damn four way stop works. I always just go first because people stop and stare at each other at a stop. I want to get out of my car and beat people that drive 10-15mph on the 35mph streets by my house. I'm not asking you to drive 50, just somewhere around 35 would be nice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My biggest pet peave lately isn't so much other drivers but completely asinine infrastructure. Traffic lights timed to prevent any free flow of traffic, four way stops at intersections with alley-ways, business entrances located for marketing and not traffic reasons...

With increasing congestion and skyrocketing fuel prices you would think there would be an interest in improving the efficiency of our roadways but there seems to be little. Logical solutions rarely result in large contracts.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We have a small traffic circle at the intersection of the two major streets in the middle of downtown. The circle is way too small to keep traffic flowing and when you have pedestrians just freely walking across the street, it just turns into (more of) a huge cluster F. It is seriously 10x worse that just having a light.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have a small traffic circle at the intersection of the two major streets in the middle of downtown. The circle is way too small to keep traffic flowing and when you have pedestrians just freely walking across the street, it just turns into a huge cluster F. It is seriously 10x worse that just having a light.
Spending a few months in England I learned to love the multi-lane round-a-bouts. Large amounts of traffic seemed to flow much better than a lighted intersection would. I've never seen a multi-laner in the US and suspect it would be a disaster.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have been to England a few times and they do work well there, especially since quite a few of the streets aren't in a grid. The circles make it easier to change direction. The biggest problem with the one by me is it is really small and there is a lot of traffic through there on the weekends. If you are local, it's easy to navigate side streets. All it takes is a few peds crossing to jam the whole circle up and subsequently, the four streets that feed into it.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Spending a few months in England I learned to love the multi-lane round-a-bouts. Large amounts of traffic seemed to flow much better than a lighted intersection would. I've never seen a multi-laner in the US and suspect it would be a disaster.
Here in New England we have multi lane rotaries everywhere. I agree they do work well but this brings me to another thing that bugs me. People that don't know how a rotary works!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here in New England we have multi lane rotaries everywhere. I agree they do work well but this brings me to another thing that bugs me. People that don't know how a rotary works!!!
I doubt they are taught or mentioned in any states handbooks. I learned the hard way in England. I certainly pissed off a few folks but it only took me a few times around to figure it out. I had a bigger problem figuring out what the triangles painted on the road meant. I thought they were one way indicators, actually yield signals. Figured that out the hard way too.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
People that are oblivious when they drive... Have no respect for the people around them, or any inkling that what they do affects others.

WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR FREAKIN TURN SIGNALS ON FOR MILES! Major pet peeve. I should keep a crossbow in my car to shoot out tail lights when that happens. Or better yet, mount one on my hood.
I'll assume you mean people on the highway that merged lanes like 4 mile ago but never turned off their signal. I agree 100%. Even worse is when they do that and (for example) have their left signal on... then decide to merge RIGHT. WTF!!

Peaves:
1) People that need to slow down a LOT to make right hand a turn but do not signal in advance so you can move to the left lane and get out of their way.

2) People that leave on a signal after they have changed lanes

3) Stop light on a 4 lane road (2 in each direction) and you need to turn right but the person in front of you either does not pull into the left lane to begin with OR does not move to the left side of the lane you are in so that you can squeeze by on the right. There could be 10 people behind them wanting to turn right and they make you all wait through the whole light instead of letting you by.

3) People that leave gaps between them and car in front at a left hand signal. Bc of the gap the light trips and THEY still get through on the yellow but for you it is now RED...

4) Going 60 in the fast lane :butcher:

5) STOMPING on the brakes when you are in heavy traffic and everyone around you is going 75 but you see a cop and decide to endanger everyone behind you. Like he is gonna pick YOU out of all the people that have passed him at the same speed in the past 20 min.

6) Parkeing lots where there are a TON of spaces not more than 100 feet further away but some guy has to sit there blocking traffic while the person in the spot closest loads all their gear etc. mean while YOU are sitting there waiting for the guy in front to move bc everyone else is not blocked in.

7) Timed lights where NO ONE is going in any direction... everyone sits there for no reason.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There are a couple I can think of in NY. They are indeed a clusterfvck most of the time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
George Carlin once wisely said about driving: Everyone going slower than you is an idiot, and everyone going faster is a crazy person.

Aside from just general inconsiderateness and asshattery, my biggest peeves:

-Squatting in the fast lane and, even worse, doing so while precisely matching the speed of the cars in the lanes next to you, so people can't get around you even if they are willing to pass on the right.

-Not using turn signals, especially if you're taking a left and there would have been time to move over to get around you.

-Not letting someone change lanes when they properly signal and there would have been plenty of room if you didn't floor it.