Quantcast

thinkin about moving to flagstaff

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so my best friend lives in flagstaff and i dont have much going for me here right now. no girlfriend, no room mate and a crappy paying job. My buddy is the brewer at Flagstaff brew pub and he may be able to hoook me up with a job (that is probably low paying as well) but it will be somewhere i have never been. Anyone here live in or around flag or visit there often?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Atleast you can come up to Colorado for MSC races, and even for some aewsome snowboarding. :thumb: I'd go for it if the job looks fairly promising or even if you could find other opportunities out there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've been a couple of times. flagstaff is a cool place. i dug it. good trails, two brewpubs, decent food, close to sedona but a hell of a lot cheaper.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well the job isnt like "promising" hopefully i can get into the brewery part, until then it would be my standard lame low paying jobs. It would just be somewhere extremely different with better riding.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
well the job isnt like "promising" hopefully i can get into the brewery part, until then it would be my standard lame low paying jobs. It would just be somewhere extremely different with better riding.

Don't be selffish! You have great riding there and I plan on putting your a$$ to work next year guiding bus trips from South Florida.

I mean come on, if we do 4 trips up there next year that is probably ~ $800 for you. :thumb:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
and better riding is all that matters.
id be your roommate if i wasnt living with parents or moving to nasheville in a couple of months.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha did i just say that.

if we do 4 trips up there next year that is probably
no stay away we have enough of the florida peps up here. lol im just messin

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Don't be selffish! You have great riding there and I plan on putting your a$$ to work next year guiding bus trips from South Florida.

I mean come on, if we do 4 trips up there next year that is probably ~ $800 for you. :thumb:

well if im here ya know i am down for some guiding. Unfortunately that isnt gonna keep me here if i can find some other options.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Flagstaff singletrack rocks, so does Sedona and Moab isn't too far away either. I don't know about the job market, but I'd go for it!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BarbaRosa said:
go to flagstaff
while you can
make beer
drink beer
ride

what more is there?

well i wouldnt have the beer job just yet since their season is slowing down but hopefully it would come along. just printed a couple of pages from the help wanted section of the newspaper and i am going to be sending out resumes soon.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have buddy who lives there and he races pro DH. Even though Flag gets snow, he says they ride Sedona during the winter. He is a taxicab driver and seems to like the freedom while he races.

I'd say go, but I think you'll miss the South. ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i'll miss the south and will be back some time its just that there really is absolutely nothing here for me right now. I am also looking at washington

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
damn ya'll are convincing me to go. i would have about 1500 bucks to get out there on when i quit this job from my 401k. thats after fees and taxes. although washington state would be cool as well. I also dont wanna run off anywhere without some kind of a plan.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
damn ya'll are convincing me to go. i would have about 1500 bucks to get out there on when i quit this job from my 401k. thats after fees and taxes. although washington state would be cool as well. I also dont wanna run off anywhere without some kind of a plan.

Come on now Biggins. You have it pretty good up there in Aville. You seem to know everyone and everything. Despite not having a non inflatable woman at the moment its not all that bad. $1500 would barely cover your gas to get out there. Not to mention, isnt your family close to where you live now?

On the flip side if things were right for me, Id move too.

biggins said:

right now... ski areas are ramping up. travel light for short run, get a job around ski areas, bars restaurants shops etc... ski bum it and get in the area...

then bring your sister out so I can see if that old avatar of yours was hers cause then :drool: I got somthing I want to share with her! ;-)

BUT REALLY just do it while you can. ski bum a season or two rules.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah but thats cool. my folks understand. it would be different if i had something keeping me here like a good job or something but i dont. As far as knowing everyone, well, yeah i guess i do but that might be part of the problem im having right now. That and i am getting so frustrated with riding here. its pissin me off bad.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
That and i am getting so frustrated with riding here. its pissin me off bad.
Ok well that is a personal problem, because you have some awsome riding there.

Just look at what is 5 minutes from your house

Nice dirt jumps
Kitzuma

Then within an hours drive you have pretty much everything except for lift access. You can ride what? 11 months out of the year probably?

And here is your answer to the lift access for now. As posted in
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101303&page=1&pp=15

Buy one of these and offer shuttle services on Brown #9

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
biggins said:
yeah but thats cool. my folks understand. it would be different if i had something keeping me here like a good job or something but i dont. As far as knowing everyone, well, yeah i guess i do but that might be part of the problem im having right now. That and i am getting so frustrated with riding here. its pissin me off bad.
I'm with you. I have awesome riding around, but for the most part the riding atmosphere in Knoxville sucks. Too many egos from people that can't even ride that well, save a few. I have some really good friends all around the South in Atlanta, Asheville, South Carolina and so on, but riding with really cool people that just want to ride requires too much gas. Riding is so much more than awesome trails, you need cool people to share it with.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why dont all of us here in the south just get together and buy a mountain and build a big ass chateau with room for all of us. We can hold races all the time and build whateverthehell we want.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
profro said:
I'm with you. I have awesome riding around, but for the most part the riding atmosphere in Knoxville sucks. Too many egos from people that can't even ride that well, save a few. I have some really good friends all around the South in Atlanta, Asheville, South Carolina and so on, but riding with really cool people that just want to ride requires too much gas. Riding is so much more than awesome trails, you need cool people to share it with.
How funny. It is the exact opposite here. We basically have 3 places to ride(and they are none to great in comparison to the riding you guys have). So on any given Sat or Sun morning you know where all your riding buddies will be (or actually the entire MTB population).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
profro said:
yeah its just the issue of getting people together to get some new stuff built or anything done.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlySurly said:
Why dont all of us here in the south just get together and buy a mountain and build a big ass chateau with room for all of us. We can hold races all the time and build whateverthehell we want.

that would be cool

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
How funny. It is the exact opposite here. We basically have 3 places to ride(and they are none to great in comparison to the riding you guys have). So on any given Sat or Sun morning you know where all your riding buddies will be (or actually the entire MTB population).

hell man ya'll have stunts and cool stuff like that. just getting the go ahead to even build a trail here takes years.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
hell man ya'll have stunts and cool stuff like that. just getting the go ahead to even build a trail here takes years.
How long do you think it took/takes us?? The difference is... We can't just say.. oh well f--k it I will go ride trail 1 of 100. When we only have 3.

Come on down, bring your XCE and your hardtail, that is all you will need.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
You have already gotten the go ahead. Anybody can build whatever they want at Alexander park. The terrain is great and we have free roam. It is just a bitch getting tools in there. But I know for a fact that anyone can build anything they want without fear of prosecution.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Sad... :( I rode at our Dirt Jump/MTNx track yesterday by myself. The South is wack when it comes to stuff like this. There are about 20 guys in the area that freeride/DH/DJ and the group is split into small bands of fueding war parties. Southern's usually are so closeminded to newcomers and new ideas that is divides everyone up. When I lived in Texas I always had someone to ride with or at least on rainy nights someone to talk with about riding.

I'd like to see all of us live in one area. It would be so cool to call up the likes of JeremyR, Ryan Bloch, biggins, Mike McCoy, Bizutch, etc to ride on a moments notice. :help: :nopity:

biggins I thought your scence at your jumps was super cool, ecspecially the chick that was out there digging. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Sad... :( I rode at our Dirt Jump/MTNx track yesterday by myself. The South is wack when it comes to stuff like this. There are about 20 guys in the area that freeride/DH/DJ and the group is split into small bands of fueding war parties. Southern's usually are so closeminded to newcomers and new ideas that is divides everyone up. When I lived in Texas I always had someone to ride with or at least on rainy nights someone to talk with about riding.

I'd like to see all of us live in one area. It would be so cool to call up the likes of JeremyR, Ryan Bloch, biggins, Mike McCoy, Bizutch, etc to ride on a moments notice. :help: :nopity:

biggins I thought your scence at your jumps was super cool, ecspecially the chick that was out there digging. :D
He11, I live 3 hours from you, and I still take off to ride up there on a moments notice. ;)
We are spread out, and I can understand biggins frustration about not getting anything built in Asheville. Believe me.
But I have ridden and raced my bike all over the country, and I still like this area the best. Biggins is suffering from the grass is always greener deal, or to put it into his perspective, the booty is always bigger. :devil:
I remember when Doug moved back to K-town, he was as giddy as a 5 year old at Disney World. It made me want to move away and move back. :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
I remember when Doug moved back to K-town, he was as giddy as a 5 year old at Disney World. It made me want to move away and move back. :thumb:
But having to harrass people to ride gets OLD. Remember how cool it was that time you got stranded here. We rode DH on Sunday and urban on Monday. It was so cool just riding and hanging out with friends. Well, that was last time I rode with friends two days in a row.

Fortunately I have found lots of friends around the South who are after me to come ride with them. Between you, Bloch and now Herndon wanting to ride Windrock a lot things look good, but driving around the South every weekend gets old and now expensive.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
But having to harrass people to ride gets OLD. Remember how cool it was that time you got stranded here. We rode DH on Sunday and urban on Monday. It was so cool just riding and hanging out with friends. Well, that was last time I rode with friends two days in a row.

Fortunately I have found lots of friends around the South who are after me to come ride with them. Between you, Bloch and now Herndon wanting to ride Windrock a lot things look good, but driving around the South every weekend gets old and now expensive.
Oh I hear ya.
I live in Spartanburg.
If I want to check out the DH scene in my area, I just look in the mirror.
It would indeed be sweet to have all of us in one city.
I am missing riding right now. :drool:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I did get to dirt jump my trail and the ones at the top of the MTNx course lastnight. Luckily Meghann was there, but sessioning with others would have been dope.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Oh mamma you're going to have so much fun. I hope to put in a different set of DJs out at Bigfoot. Ones that are more flowy and don't require as much commitment. Now that we have completely derailled this thread... whats the build?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
Oh mamma you're going to have so much fun. I hope to put in a different set of DJs out at Bigfoot. Ones that are more flowy and don't require as much commitment. Now that we have completely derailled this thread... whats the build?
I don't know on the build yet.
Its gonna be a D.O.C. and I am gonna set it up singlespeed.
That is all I have committed to.
I am setting it up strictly for DJing, the BMX track right beside my house,
and street/park in which I have about 0 experience. I am looking foward to learning though. :thumb: