Quantcast

thinking about building a rally car:NBR

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, ive been thinking about building a rally car based on an 89 honda civic hatch back. i need to keep it street legal for a while but if any of you guys have rally car accessory links or anything like that please post them.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I too would be interested in something like this, considering I'll be getting my license soon and well....will try to get something that would make a decent platform for rally or street. :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
mtnbkr4235 said:
I too would be interested in something like this, considering I'll be getting my license soon and well....will try to get something that would make a decent platform for rally or street. :D

your insurance will be high enough as it is.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
chicodude01 said:
your insurance will be high enough as it is.
Thats why I want to get a cheap car, like an old civic or neon or something. lol.

Of course my ultimate old-car would be a 88 Audi GT Coupe since they're like 1-2K online. :)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
anyone? where can i find things like shocks/struts, electronic paddle shifters, etc.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
i just replied to a thread where you were considering filing for bankruptcy!?!?!??!!?!

do you know how much of a money pit a rally car will be? or do you just plan on driving it around but not really racing it?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jmvar said:
i just replied to a thread where you were considering filing for bankruptcy!?!?!??!!?!

do you know how much of a money pit a rally car will be? or do you just plan on driving it around but not really racing it?
well see i dont want anymore credit and there is nowhere to race but we have thousands of miles of forest roads around here and im tired of beating the hell out of my '03 protege 5 driving on them. the rally car would be built on cash only.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
biggins said:
well see i dont want anymore credit and there is nowhere to race but we have thousands of miles of forest roads around here and im tired of beating the hell out of my '03 protege 5 driving on them. the rally car would be built on cash only.
If you have cash to spend on a rally car isn't that cash that could get you out of debt. You're the kind of person that gives Chapter 11 a bad name. "I don't want to pay my debts, so I'll file for protection from my creditors. Yeah, that's the ticket." Chapter 11 is for people who have nowhere left to go.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Lex said:
If you have cash to spend on a rally car isn't that cash that could get you out of debt. You're the kind of person that gives Chapter 11 a bad name. "I don't want to pay my debts, so I'll file for protection from my creditors. Yeah, that's the ticket." Chapter 11 is for people who have nowhere left to go.
damn lets play the bash biggins all to hell game. did i say i was gonna be doing this now? its just something that interests me. i say cash because once i get this debt off of me im not getting any more debt. i will live on cash only basis. of course i would like to buy a house one day but that is an exception.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
biggins said:
damn lets play the bash biggins all to hell game. did i say i was gonna be doing this now? its just something that interests me. i say cash because once i get this debt off of me im not getting any more debt. i will live on cash only basis. of course i would like to buy a house one day but that is an exception.
Sorry. I didn't mean to bash you personally. Obviously I don't know the particulars of your case, but it just seems like people have started to use the law to avoid problems they incurred upon themselves. The whole notion of using the law to shield you from your creditors and then living this cash lifestyle you're talking about is what twists me the wrong way.

I know people who have declared bankruptcy and after 10 years they were just starting to get back in the good graces of lending institutions. Do a little reading in the links below and you'll see that it isn't that easy.

http://www.txnb.uscourts.gov/general/ch_07_info.jsp
http://www.txnb.uscourts.gov/general/ch_11_info.jsp

When I gradulated college I was about $7,000 in debt to credit cards with around 19% interest. On top of that I had another $15,000 in student loans. What did I do? I moved in with Mom and Dad and busted my azz working to pay off the credit cards. Did I have a high paying job? Not really. I just dedicated myself to getting out from underneath it. I didn't buy anything, and if I had owned anything worth selling it would have been gone. On top of that I drove an old Hyundai Excel (gold no less). You'd be amazed how quickly the debt goes down when you're throwing all of your resources at it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
no worries man im just havin a crappy day and took it personally. thanks for the links i will check them out on my lunch break.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey man, building a rally car is not as difficult as people are saying.

First off, if you aren't using the car for racing, then nothing really needs to be done. You can, in theory, take any car and drive it on dirt. Normal modifications help. If you are getting serious, suspension upgrades and skidplates are a good direction to go in. Most important is probably brakes, as if you can't slow down, you'll hit a tree. Then maybe another tree, and perhaps a third after that. If you pick a FWD car, a good ebrake is essential for J turns and handbrake turns.

As for the FWD vs. AWD....you most certainly can get away with FWD, but remember that it will get stuck more easily, and you will have less traction.

You do not need seam welding or a FIA spec cage. They help with stiffness and safety, but are not necessary for backwoods cruising.

If you aren't racing, serious engine mods are really that important either.

You can get away with a decent set of snow tires for most any surface.

Rally crosses are open to almost any car with seatbelts. You can get a good idea of what is necessary there, and there's probably something in your area. You can move up to clubrally if you want to race, but you'll be faced with more restrictions and more safety equipment.

You don't "need" much to drive on dirt. If you want to go faster and safer, then costs start rising.

I'm working on getting this bling cruiser in my driveway.

Attachments

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Sandwich said:

First off, if you aren't using the car for racing, then nothing really needs to be done. You can, in theory, take any car and drive it on dirt. Normal modifications help. If you are getting serious, suspension upgrades and skidplates are a good direction to go in. Most important is probably brakes, as if you can't slow down, you'll hit a tree. Then maybe another tree, and perhaps a third after that. If you pick a FWD car, a good ebrake is essential for J turns and handbrake turns.

As for the FWD vs. AWD....you most certainly can get away with FWD, but remember that it will get stuck more easily, and you will have less traction.

You do not need seam welding or a FIA spec cage. They help with stiffness and safety, but are not necessary for backwoods cruising.

Rally crosses are open to almost any car with seatbelts. You can get a good idea of what is necessary there, and there's probably something in your area. You can move up to clubrally if you want to race, but you'll be faced with more restrictions and more safety equipment.

You don't "need" much to drive on dirt. If you want to go faster and safer, then costs start rising.

Nice Celica, a friend of mine has one of those except for well...its beat up and makes weird noises. Definitely a fun car to drive though,:D. I think I'll probably end up getting a neon or a 2.5RS if possible, haha.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Sandwich said:

wow an actual response that deals with the subject of the thread. im impressed. thank you. you got any helpfull links?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Trade in or sell your Honda and buy a 90 or 91 AWD DSM (Talon, Eclipse or Laser). You can find them pretty easily from 1000-2k depending on the condition. They are rally ready. The biggest weakness of the 1st 2 years of DSM was the 3 bolt (as apposed to 4 bolt) rear Axles. However if you are not drag racing the car it will not be as prevelant. There is an ENDLESS supply of parts and information for next to nothing regarding these cars. In their stock form they are ~200hp and for about $0.50 in parts and a little knowledge you can bump that HP by 20 ponies by cutting a vacume hose and inserting a bleeder. I had 2 of these cars and they are fun. I used to love taking it to my parents ranch in Ocala where there were endless loose over limestone roads. I can only imagine how much fun it would be on all those forest roads in the Asheville area.

Good luck.. and regarding that whole Bankruptcy/cash flow thing... Be responsible, but remember you only live once and you cant take it with you!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
biggins, check out bensrallypage.com.

Most of the info I got was from looking at www.rallyclassified.com and checking out each car. You just pick up on things that need to be done and what each car has, etc. Certainly you can race an STi, but that doesn't mean a VW Rabbit can't be easily as fun.

http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2004PerfRallyRules0512a.pdf

(i think that's the link, if not, check www.scca.org and search for rally rulebook). That is essential. All the info you need for each class is listed. Production is the cheapest, obviously, and has a class for 2wd. All you need is a SCCA spec cage and applicable safety devices and you can race.

do a search for rallies in your area. Around here, http://www.ner.org/Rally/perfrally_main_page.html is what i found. It gives a brief description of what rallying is and allows you to check out upcoming events. I would imagine there would be even more in CO.