Quantcast

Thinking about getting a Mini Cooper...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Do they make a bike rack for that thing?
Yes I believe they do - or someone does. I think there is a guy here in CT with one.....the rack fits nice and it must be so damned easy to lift the bike up into the rack and back down off of it too. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
just remember that it is mandatory to wear a jaunty cap and a courderoy jacket with elbow patches when driving one.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I came this close --><-- to buying a Cooper S but got screwed by a shady dealer. I later found out that the roof only has something like a 60lb load limit. That would then put carrying 2 of my bikes on the room out of the question. It was totally a fun drive. Worth test driving :D

-ska todd

Hey N8, my GF has one. Pretty cool little car. It's like driving a go-cart, very fun!! If you're gonna get one, get the "S" model or at least a stick. The automatics are a little under powered.

Yes, you can put racks on them. It's not cheap though. Because the rain gutter thingy's on the roof are so soft, you have to have the rack installed through the roof. In which case I would suggest having the dealer do it. That way if you have any problems down the line, you have a reputable place to take it back to.

What else? They are surprising tough little buggers. Saw one rearend a Ford SUV. The Mini was actually drivable while the Ford needed a flatbed! :eek: Needless to say I was prettry impressed by that scene.

Good luck!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by surfinguru

What else? They are surprising tough little buggers. Saw one rearend a Ford SUV. The Mini was actually drivable while the Ford needed a flatbed! :eek: Needless to say I was prettry impressed by that scene.

Good luck!
The mini should be a well built car. It comes close to 3000lb, which is a lot for a tiny little car.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I don't have "size" issues.... :p

Seriously... they look cool and ever since I saw The Italian Job....

Do they only come in standard transmission?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by N8
Do they only come in standard transmission?
What's "standard"?

As mentioned above, it appears the come in auto and manual.

I totally advocate manual transmission whenever possible. It really seems like a huge sin to buy that car with an automatic transmission.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I was thinking about getting a MINI Cooper S (notice that MINI is all in caps, which is the correct way to represent a Bini as opposed to an Austin Mini...but I digress). unfortunately the wife has a little cabrio and we need at least one car that can fit more than one grocery bag at a time so I got a superoo wagon instead. they look fun enough to drive, relatively faithful to the original, and they are coming out with a convertable model for 05...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've got an 'S'.

rephrased --> My wife has an 'S'

I inherited the Subaru

I looked into racks for it a couple weeks ago and found that both Thule and Yakima make rear trunk racks, you can put a hitch on it if you DON'T get an 'S' model, Yakima has a Qtower setup that clamps the 'plastic' molding(was a little sketchy) or a factory type option that can be installed (dealer or yakima) that involves drilling some holes in the roof.

The best option I found is this...

http://www.minifini.com/Default.aspx

which substitutes for a receiver hitch and looks way cooler imo.

Which then allows you to use their rack...

Haven't done it yet as the Subaru currently handles all the bike needs, but it's a potential option. The hitch can be installed by your dealer.

Oh,... and the thing drives like a go-kart. We rented a 5 spd in Spain last fall which drove great. I don't know how the automatics drive. I pushed for the 'S' and got it.

You'll probably get better mileage in the non-S though.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Cool... thanks for the info.

This ride is primarily Mz N8's car. She also likes the Toy Matrix too. That seems a little bigger and a bit more "long trip" friendly than the MINI. They tell me here locally that I might be able to get it serviced at the BWM dealership since there is no Cooper dealer between here and Dallas.