Quantcast

thinking about getting sunline's 29.5" bar

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
what are some advantages of wider bars? stability? cornering? i feel like i need a bit wider then my 28" fatboys, and i could always cut them if they are too long...

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Stop thinking go wider! I love my Sunline V1s. More stability, faster and more powerful cornering. I also feel that it keeps you in the wider and more forward stance that you want to be in with your arms and shoulders.

Took very little time to get used to and the other day I tried a demo bike with 28" No way, I'm going back.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I won't go back.....Bike feels more stable, arms feel less fatigued after a good day of riding......

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Went from a Funn 28" to a Deity 30" and it feels more stable. Took a few rides for me to get used to it, but it feels good now. Every time I've bumped up the width, it's the same: takes some time to get used to it then I like it better. I run 28" on my Prophet too, but I don't think I'd want 30s. A bit too wide for that. For DH it's all good, though. And, as you mentioned, there's no loss for trying it out- you can always cut them down.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i think it depends on how wide your shoulder are. I'm 6'1" and have long skinny arms, reach isn't a problem, but i have narrow shoulders. for everything but rock gardens that require intense forcing the wheel into a certain line, i like about 26-26.5 bars. I'm running 28 inch because I want them there when I need them, but I feel like theres got to be a point where the benefit starts turning to detriment

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I have the V1 29.5" bar on my V10, and love it.

I never used to like the V1's until I purchased the V2 28" bar for the V10. I used to ride some 26" EA50's, and the V1's always felt huge and awkward on my friend's bikes. After switching to 28" bars, you can really feel the difference in control, I also feel like I have more power with my upper body when I sprint. After getting used the 28's, the 29's felt more comfortable than the 28's so I bought the V1 bar.

My V2 28's are now on my short travel bike, until I purchase another V1.

Mar 1, 2008
It's funny since I'm a pretty short and skinny guy (5'6" 125 lbs) and I run the V1 carbons on my FR bike, and my hard tail has a really wide bar as well. Now every other bike I get on feels so awkward with the narrow bars. I never knew otherwise until I grab some narrows. Weird.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
It's funny since I'm a pretty short and skinny guy (5'6" 125 lbs) and I run the V1 carbons on my FR bike, and my hard tail has a really wide bar as well. Now every other bike I get on feels so awkward with the narrow bars. I never knew otherwise until I grab some narrows. Weird.
Don't worry about it. iam 5'7-5'8 ish around that ball park, and I ran my Sunline V1's 29.5 with Bar extensions to 31.5, and it was awsome.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Went from a Funn 28" to a Deity 30" and it feels more stable. Took a few rides for me to get used to it, but it feels good now. Every time I've bumped up the width, it's the same: takes some time to get used to it then I like it better. I run 28" on my Prophet too, but I don't think I'd want 30s. A bit too wide for that. For DH it's all good, though. And, as you mentioned, there's no loss for trying it out- you can always cut them down.
couldn't have said it better. I did the same swap from funn 28's to deity 30's and at first i was a little apprehensive but after a good day of riding I absolutely loved them. so much more control in cornering and in overall bike handling

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i pulled the trigger and got them for my dh bike. they are now on my trail bike as well. and i'm contemplating putting them on my hardtail as well as my xc bike. do it. you won't regret it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I love the V1's on my DH bike. It was weird for 2 rides, now I couldn't go back.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
i think it depends on how wide your shoulder are. I'm 6'1" and have long skinny arms, reach isn't a problem, but i have narrow shoulders. for everything but rock gardens that require intense forcing the wheel into a certain line, i like about 26-26.5 bars. I'm running 28 inch because I want them there when I need them, but I feel like theres got to be a point where the benefit starts turning to detriment
As your whole weight shifts forward it will be harder to manual over obstacles.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Mine are slightly wider than 29.5 center to center. They will about 29 if you are measuring the back edge of the tubing....

If you need wider...get some gravitys they are HUGE...(and heavy)

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
how does the shape (rise/sweep) of sunlines compare to easton ea50/70's? I've always run eastons and don't really like it when i ride bars that are any different, but i am keen to give wide a chance.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Sunlines have quite a different sweep to Eastons but it took me very little to get used to it, like the others said you don't go back, the sunline V1 has some nice adjustment setting fore and aft as well very slick my new bar of choice, oh deity D30s are sick too:monkeydance:

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
Does anyone know of reliability issues with either the sunline or deity bars? they're both super light, especially for the width and that scares me. I ended up getting the gravity bars and cutting them down to 30". At this width they weigh 380, which is still kind of heavy but I wonder about the fatigue strength of a 260-280g ish 30" bars.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Does anyone know of reliability issues with either the sunline or deity bars? they're both super light, especially for the width and that scares me. I ended up getting the gravity bars and cutting them down to 30". At this width they weigh 380, which is still kind of heavy but I wonder about the fatigue strength of a 260-280g ish 30" bars.
Ive had Deity bars for a couple of years now on DH and DJ bikes 25.4 and 31.8mm they are tough, mine are white and they take a bit of a beating in that color but have improved there finish with the newer range can't wait to get my hands on the dirte 30s even though I can't ride still like new products!:banana:

As for the Sunline I think theyre well proven on the world scene, I broke my neck not long after getting my bar so have not had a chance to real world test it but I'd say its well and truly up there quality wise, Ive always been a Easton fan but they haven't kept up with the real wide bar trends enough for me in alloy [ not the quaity ones] I won't no matter who tries to convince me run carbon on a DH bike, Ive worked with carbon for many years, I know its strength to weight ratio, but I won't risk impact fractures, only xray's can show what happens to carbons structure once impacted surface scratches and or no marks mean absolutley nothing.

But the other two for me are a non issue for strength durability, Deity is one of the best cs wise as well, just go for it:cheers:

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What type of riding do you do?

I could never run a 29"-31" bar where I ride. There are places my 28"s barely fit between trees. We ride in tight twisting trees here in Montana. ;) I know of a couple trails and stunts where my current bars fit with only about 1/4" to spare.