Quantcast

This can't be right... right?

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
According to a few calorie calculators I've used on the web I burn on average 3700 to 4400 calories per day. That's 3700 with no exercise. I'm a big guy but that just sounds nuts. Is it really possible that I'm burning that much every day?

Here's a snap of my activity journal. What do you think? BTW, if you haven't checked out www.fitday.com you really should, it's awesome.

Attachments

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I don't see how it is measuring but lets say I input my body weight. It will claim I burn tonnne of calories just sitting there (I am a big guy)...however if I could be two different people

a) 270pound with 60 pounds of fat
or
b) 270 pound with 20pounds of fat

I would get the exact same reading while (b) would burn a tremendous amount of calories sitting in a corned and (a) would get fatter looking at a cookie.

I assume (does it take into account muscle mass?)...If it does not take into account muscle mass it can't be accurate. Looking at the measurements in the screenshots it could use a system to measure body fat similar to what the navy seals used based strictly on circumference measurements.

In either case depending on how big you are this is entirely possible if they are taking into account you have extra muscle over and above regular people...otherwise 3700 is a lot of calories with no exercise taken into account...

sorry if that made no sense...I was building my statement while looking at the site...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
BTW it looks awesome. I track most of that in a spreadsheet I use but not to that extreme...looks like a great product..

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I weigh about 250. When people try to guess my weight and be honest about it they usually guess 195 to 220. The guy next to me just guessed 205. :D Hopefully that says something for my muscle/fat ratio.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Evilmunch
I weigh about 250. When people try to guess my weight and be honest about it they usually guess 195 to 220. The guy next to me just guessed 205. :D
I love that. People at work usually guess 220ish (depending on the person)...when I tell them 270 they usually back up a bit. Then they look at me and fully understand why I break parts on my bike for no apparent reason.

Is there a demo of that program. I would love a more detailed look at it (screenshots don't tell me squat)...or did you just buy it? I wold love some structured help with my diet for the summer. I am trying to lean down to a 230 to 240 range. My gf is also going to be working on her diet too and this may help. If there is no demo I might just have to buy it :)

Hopefully that says something for my muscle/fat ratio.
YEah...you are prett lean for a 250 guy :)

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Yeh, there's a demo. In fact it's totally free. Just go to www.fitday.com and sign up. You don't have to buy their software. The web-based program is free.

It works so well I'm probably going to buy it anyway so I can load it on my laptop and take it with me on business trips.
I love the calorie counter. Only 785 calories taken in today. :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Evilmunch
Yeh, there's a demo. In fact it's totally free. Just go to www.fitday.com and sign up. You don't have to buy their software. The web-based program is free.

It works so well I'm probably going to buy it anyway so I can load it on my laptop and take it with me on business trips.
I love the calorie counter. Only 785 calories taken in today. :)
Thanx. I guess I didn't read it right. I thought I had to buy first...off to take a close look.

Cheers.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Just ran the demo. It is not using any method to figure out my bf%. This means base calories burned per day are going to be pretty innacurate if your bf% isn't a standard %. Currently I burn 4100 calories...highly doubtful as I know even at peak when I was weight lifting I was consuming 5000 calories and maintaining weight. This was when I was working construction and working out 5 days a week. 4100 calories with a lot less weight lifting and cardio doesn't make much sense.

To further it is using BMI to register weight vs height which is a virtually useless system of measurment for athlete with over and above 'normal' muscle mass. Currently I am severly overweight and ready to die next time I go to bed :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I gotta say I love how it track exercise output and dietary input. I can relate that to what I know I need to eat and this is gonna kick ass.

thanx again for the link

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by nicklin
2000 calorie day also applies to skkinny woman weighing 120, so you sure can double that especially with muscles.

yeah with my lifestyle and activity level the recomended daily intake in 2200 cal. thats for a 5'8'' 145 lbs girl. thats way more calories than i care to eat each day too. thats a lot of food.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
http://store.hononline.com/howtocalyour.html

Those are three of the standard ways to calculate calories...None of these, again, take into account lean mass as the calculation would be too intense for most people to figure on their own. In reality instead of weight they should be using lean mass plus a standard for example (I am not scientist I just know fat does nothing but add weight where lean mass directly effects your metabolism)

Use this program as a guideline. If you find you are gaining weight drop the calories accordingly. You could have a fast metabolism and lots of lean mass.

In short there is no tried and true method...its all individual based on lots of variables. Harris's looks good as it does take into account age (an important influence on metabolism)...