Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Bit of a pain to find them over here in Oz. And thanks to geo-restrictions we struggle to order from overseas.

Actually effin georestrictions are whats wrong with the industry. If you're gonna lock us out of buying spares and parts from overseas to save coin, then at least make sure they're bloody available here. Prior to geo-locking we all bought Shimano, SRAM, etc from CRC/Wiggle/zee Germans because they were literally 60-70% cheaper than getting bent over by our local distros. Then they were forced to block sales of certain products here to let the local distributors afford the new model Range Rovers and the freshest caviar.

Which is all well and bloody good except when we need stuff and are told there's no stock in the country, or better yet - the importer isn't bringing in that item or product as "there's not enough market for it".
I wish someone would create a VPN for shipping. :rolleyes:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wish someone would create a VPN for shipping. :rolleyes:
There's freight forwarders and such but its a hassle. Sometimes the shops will still send direct if you message them.

I had to get a company in the UK to send me spares for Mavic wheels recently because the Aussie distro didn't have them and wouldn't order them.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Dude, Jett. I hope he can keep it up. But Tomac being "local" and a son of a former mtb legend. How can you not go for the guy?

I hear you when you say for $70, I'd be there. It is awesome. If you have the chance to go. DO IT. Yes, I've been and it is awesome. Oh the smell and the sounds and the awesomeness? oh my!

They had the Moto of nations race a few years ago, (actually a lot of years ago, I'm getting old) an outdoor track (lookup Thundervalley, Lakewood, CO) near my buddy's house. We rode our MTB's there. It was supposed to be $$ to get to the pits. But the dude at the gate was like, nice bikes. Come on in for free. You can't beat that! :)
Yeah im a moto guy and Dh guy. Follow racing closely. Thunder Valley always has great racing. Baggett railing and jumping around Tomac was a memory.

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
There's absolutely no need to "stock up" on older drivetrain parts. They're not going away any time soon. mechanical 10, 11 and 12spd derailleurs are interchangeable and decent quality 10 spd shifters ars still available

Of course. But this was done mid - pandemic time, when some stuff was getting tough to get. And it looked as if it might remain so for a bit.

A few spare cassettes, chains and derailleurs. Also brake pads.

Anyway, I'm not ditching the stuff for a long time. Have spares and it all just works so well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
official swiss importer doesn’t have them anymore so i WOULD stock up
OMG! 111!!
I wouldn't rush off panic buying just yet. Seeing as there are tons of other perfectly suitable shimano 11 & 12spd derailleurs to choose from.

Or do you really think Shimano are about to discontinue 12spd mtb oh nerdy unapologetic one.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok. So you actually are being a thick cunt on purpose. If so there's clearly no point explaining this to you

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Giving it a go. With a 10 speed shifter you can use either a 10-11-12 speeds rear D. Correct?
Yes. Shimano don't advertise it. But if you look closely at their current derrailleur range and cross reference docs it does become apparent. eg. some mechs are listed as 10/11 spd compatible... others 11/12. Not rocket science. But not glaringly obvious either.

Call a Shimano distributor (or some pricky bicycle parts salesman) and they'll probably tell you it isn't compatible. But this BS has been the case with Shimano for tons combinations that actually work well together for decades.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm using eagle 12spd derailleurs right now on two bikes with 11spd shifters. They shift brilliant. I'm sure no one would tell you this works.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I concur. I have also run shimano 12spd derailleurs with shimano 11speed shifters /11spd cassette just fine.

Was the ideal set-up for wide range cassettes before shimano released their own 11speed variant with support for more than 42t.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm using eagle 12spd derailleurs right now on two bikes with 11spd shifters. They shift brilliant. I'm sure no one would tell you this works.
You can use SRAM 11spd mechs on 12spd Eagle too as long as you lock out the biggest cog they work fine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would. I've never been in the habit of selling folk useless new shit they don't need though.
On my newest bike (Nukeproof Scout hardtail) I'm using a GX derailleur, 11spd SLX shifter and 11spd GX cassette. Shifts perfectly and gives a lighter lever action than a SRAM shifter or a full shimano set up.
_20240419_113254.JPG
Plus it's 2 way up shift. (4 in reality as you can use thumb or forefinger, push or pull) so you're not stuck with just one shifting position like Sram give you.
Which is also yet another drawback with AXS shifting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For a "local brand" I am not sure if I ever saw anyone riding a Kona. I know a lot of people who talked about getting a Honzo ESD but never pulling the trigger.

I remember back in the day wondering why they had such slack head angles on their bikes (70 degrees).

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021

In the comments, an anonymous Kent/Kona employee spills the beans on how Kent manages its brands and suppliers. Quite a bit concerning for their employees and suppliers. Thanks, soul-sucking corporate business people.

Here's the post:

I’m posting anonymously due to potential repercussions, but as someone who works at Kona under Kent Outdoors, I feel compelled to share the distressing realities we face and urge you to take action.

Kent Outdoors is currently run by short-sighted individuals who are utterly disconnected from the communities, sports, and people attached to their brands. Their lack of understanding and interest in cycling and any other sport has not only led to poor decision making but also to a toxic corporate environment where Kona and their other brands are suffering greatly. Under their management, Kona has accumulated millions of dollars in unpaid debts to our suppliers (Fairly and Hodaka), with no attempts made to negotiate or even communicate, effectively planning to stiff them. This strategy isn’t limited to Kona; it’s a disturbing pattern that is evident across all brands under the Kent Outdoors umbrella. I urge all suppliers and partners across the board that do business with Kent Outdoors to be careful. Everyone should be seriously concerned about this pattern of non-payment and poor business ethics.

The working conditions here are more than just poor—they’re abysmal. Communication is practically non-existent now under the new management, creating a chaotic environment where decisions are made without transparency or employee input. The stress of potentially not getting paid has been a reality for some of us, adding to an overwhelming sense of job insecurity. Long hours, and weekend work, is the norm all without additional compensation or even basic recognition of our hard work.

The only individuals who seem to survive and even advance under the current regime are the “yes men” those who align too readily with a flawed agenda, lacking critical engagement or genuine passion for the brands. This has caused significant unrest among other brands under the Kent Outdoors umbrella, who are equally upset about these new leaders. Their inability to effectively manage people, combined with a lack of fundamental understanding of the communities they serve, is rapidly destroying the companies. These leaders are not just failing; they are actively dismantling the very essence of what made all of these brands successful.

The company is not just being led poorly; it’s being led by individuals who don’t seem to care about the damage they’re doing to the brands, communities, or people. Any company considering a partnership with Kent Outdoors should seriously reconsider. Any customer should consider carefully buying products from our companies since who knows if we will even have the parts to support them.

In light of these issues, I am calling on all community members to join us in boycotting all Kent Outdoors brands. We need to demonstrate that these destructive practices are unacceptable. By uniting and applying public pressure, we hope to initiate a significant change in Kent Outdoors’ direction and leadership to a model that values the employees, respects the community, and truly understands the sports industries they are part of.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any support you can lend. Let’s stand together to save Kona and the other brands we cherish.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Losing Kona sucks, if it happens.

My first "real" mountain bike was a Kona Pahoehoe.

Some of that must be true, I mean what kind of bullshit is going to California, setting up for an event and then being told to go home its over? Did some manager on the east coast forget to hit send on his memo?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
That’s a really weird move indeed. I also find it weird that we don’t see many Sea Otter updates in general. Not much on Vital MTB or Pinkbike. Usually it’s a big deal and they almost have articles for each brand.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Losing Kona sucks, if it happens.

My first "real" mountain bike was a Kona Pahoehoe.

Some of that must be true, I mean what kind of bullshit is going to California, setting up for an event and then being told to go home its over? Did some manager on the east coast forget to hit send on his memo?

If you tell people the truth you cannot hide the truth.

Way back when I worked for GE and my division got sold and the new company said everything would be the same, they just needed a local office space for us to move into. The day the transfer happened everyone was told they had to move to Hoffman Estates Illinois in two weeks (over Christmas) or they were fired. That was the plan the whole time, they just didn't want employees to have the opportunity to find another job and leave. My response was something along these lines.

1713559889883.png