Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Because...I_find_SRAM_shifters_horrible_and_multi_release_is_really_fucking_useful.Gif

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Unfortunately there's no such thing as a really nice XT shifter. The paddles are heavier action (stiffer to push) from the off and over time when used in scottish conditions the ratchet always stiffens making them even MOAR stiff. Hence why I prefer SLX/Deore (I tend to keep bikes/components a long time)

For the cost of that fancy £300 shifter I can get 2 complete deore drivetrains.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Unfortunately there's no such thing as a really nice XT shifter. The paddles are heavier action (stiffer to push) from the off and over time when used in scottish conditions the ratchet always stiffens making them even MOAR stiff. Hence why I prefer SLX/Deore (I tend to keep bikes/components a long time)

Dont come in here with that kind of sensible attitude Gary. Its really not on!

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021

I also prefer Deore or SLX’s lever action. Had an XT 11spd shifter and sold it shortly after. In my experience they’ve been cheap and durable too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

No, you are doing it right, the XT and XTR have that problem. IMO, it's to "prevent" you from "accidentally" over-shifting...but that basically negates the entire multi-release function IMO, it's so stiff that I can rapid-fire-off the same number or more shifts with SRAM in the same direction. This completely drove me away from Shimano shifters and the XO level and higher stuff is just so good...less than that though is a lot worse than the "equivalent" shimano.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Haha.. I didn't really need any confirmation. But you can also add Saint to that list if Shitemano overly stiff shifter paddles
You might be surprised at just how nicely the light action of an SLX shifter mates with a GX mech.
Also an 11spd GX mid cage mech with 10-42 XD cassette shifts cleaner, more accurately and noticeably quieter and faster than ANY 12spd SRAM or Shimano combination. Especially their gimmicky new electronic stuff

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's no way around the fact that upshifts take a massive amount of force relative to a SRAM shifter. It's like a DA revolver vs. short SA 1911, to use a completely USA analogy.

Before Shimano 1x, back in 10spd days and before, they were very light-action. Then SRAM 1x came out and everybody lauded the SRAM as shifting so much more "solid" and "positive". Then Shimano over-did it IMO with their 1x, especially on these upshifts. It's not been like this for the high end Shimano stuff for like a decade now, unless you use an SLX or lower. Ergonomically, the same action over and over again is usually not a good thing for your body when not actual exercise.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cool Podcast on this shifter and the thought process behind it on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/episode/1in218HMqREsrbkut2AsRM
Oh... I get where he's coming from... And customisable paddle levers is a great feature (seen and used many DIY mods) the downside is just the completely insane price. But bearing in mind cyclists will pay an even higher price than this to have a bunch of elastomers sandwiched between their chainring and crank. Who can blame the guy for going all out on his dream.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
here's no way around the fact that upshifts take a massive amount of force relative to a SRAM shifter.
You're probably so wrapped up in the idea that XO and above is your premium choice and can't be bettered that you're probably never going to try this. But the SLX shifter paired with GX mech I mentioned has a slightly LIGHTER paddle action than full SRAM XO. It surprised me too. But I'm liking it a lot.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
You're probably so wrapped up in the idea that XO and above is your premium choice and can't be bettered that you're probably never going to try this. But the
SLX shifter paired with GX mech I mentioned has a slightly LIGHTER paddle action than full SRAM XO. It surprised me too. But I'm liking it a lot.
DAMN BRO THAT‘S CRAZY

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You're probably so wrapped up in the idea that XO and above is your premium choice and can't be bettered that you're probably never going to try this. But the SLX shifter paired with GX mech I mentioned has a slightly LIGHTER paddle action than full SRAM XO. It surprised me too. But I'm liking it a lot.
No, F Shimano.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
There's no way around the fact that upshifts take a massive amount of force relative to a SRAM shifter. It's like a DA revolver vs. short SA 1911, to use a completely USA analogy.

Before Shimano 1x, back in 10spd days and before, they were very light-action. Then SRAM 1x came out and everybody lauded the SRAM as shifting so much more "solid" and "positive". Then Shimano over-did it IMO with their 1x, especially on these upshifts. It's not been like this for the high end Shimano stuff for like a decade now, unless you use an SLX or lower. Ergonomically, the same action over and over again is usually not a good thing for your body when not actual exercise.
That can be attributed to the longer levers. Back in the old 10sp days Shimano shifters had longer upshift paddles when compared to SRAM. Then with the arrival of 11 and 12 speed shifters Shimano stayed the same, while SRAM lengthened the upshift paddle, leading to a lighter action.

Also, SLX feels cheap as shit when compared to NX. I've been riding 3-4 times a week for 7 months and the darn shifter already developed play.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
QUOTE="Gary, post: 4782248, member: 3616"]
[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking of mating a GX shifter to a SLX RD. I still can't get past the longer downshift throw and unnatural thumb movement of the Shimano shifters. Also, you might like Shimano's dual upshifts but I'm still faster on SRAM shifters.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That can be attributed to the longer levers. Back in the old 10sp days Shimano shifters had longer upshift paddles when compared to SRAM. Then with the arrival of 11 and 12 speed shifters Shimano stayed the same, while SRAM lengthened the upshift paddle, leading to a lighter action.

Also, SLX feels cheap as shit when compared to NX. I've been riding 3-4 times a week for 7 months and the darn shifter already developed play.
Are you sure you are saying that right? Downshift=lower (bigger) gear=leverage affects feel significantly because it's fighting against the derailleur spring. Upshift is a release and the derailleur spring does all the work to shift. It's the shimano upshifts that are bizarrely heavy on the XT and up. Sram upshift paddle is about as short as it gets. If that's what you meant, disregard.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Are you sure you are saying that right? Downshift=lower (bigger) gear=leverage affects feel significantly because it's fighting against the derailleur spring. Upshift is a release and the derailleur spring does all the work to shift. It's the shimano upshifts that are bizarrely heavy on the XT and up. If that's what you meant, disregard.
My bad, I always mix them up. Downshift levers are longer in SRAM shifters, but ratchet clicks are stacked closer, leading to less lever throw. Upshifts are also significantly lighter in SRAM shifters IMHO.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
. Upshifts are also significantly lighter in SRAM shifters IMHO.
Haven't done any measuring...
But derailleur return spring and friction plays a bigger part in that than the shifters... possibly why I'm liking the lighter action from the Shimano shifter mated to the sram mech.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Freehub CSI, the pawls in my 150km old failed Freehub didn't seem to have even spring pressure, so I thought there might be some weirdness in the pawls and springs.
My MS one that failed had three No1 pawls and three No4 pawls.
The XD version has a No1, No2, No3 and three No4's.
Fucking why!!???? Fuck you Novatec!
IMG_20240331_161445.jpg

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Freehub CSI, the pawls in my 150km old failed Freehub didn't seem to have even spring pressure, so I thought there might be some weirdness in the pawls and springs.
View attachment 209738
That's too bad, what type of novatec hub are we talking about?
I was hoping they would get their shit together. Some more reliable affordable hubs are welcome these days, I only tend to use DT 350 lately. Hope used to be up there, but they became a lot more expensive since that Brexit catastrophe.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's too bad, what type of novatec hub are we talking about?
I was hoping they would get their shit together. Some more reliable affordable hubs are welcome these days, I only tend to use DT 350 lately. Hope used to be up there, but they became a lot more expensive since that Brexit catastrophe.
Novatec Premium, they are silly money for the quality, they are pretty poorly finished hubs.
It reminds me a bit of the old Pro2, the axle doesn't seemed to be rated for my heft, looks as if the bearing is moving around on the axle.
If our dollar wasn't so low I would have bought another set of Hadleys.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 209738
That sucks. I've beat on that same hub for years (though maybe they changed it, now that the name is changed?) and haven't had a single issue. I probably also weight more than you. :busted:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That sucks. I've beat on that same hub for years (though maybe they changed it, now that the name is changed?) and haven't had a single issue. I probably also weight more than you. :busted:
Mine is still the Factor branded one. The axle is slightly different for the XD driver but it looks to have less metal than this MS version.
PXL_20240331_030719603.jpg

Preload was right, axle bolt was nice and tight.
I need to unbolt the rotor and refit it, for some reason it is not centred, I can't remember that happening with any other hub.

I think this is only the second time I've killed a hub drive, the last one was partly my fault.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
After killing a few Shimano and Nukeproof pawl hubs, I've switched all my bikes to boring but reliable DT 350 hubs. Being 10-15kms in the woods with a skipping/non-engaging hub gets old pretty quick. With DT's patent now up, I guess more companies will make ratchet hubs in different price points.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ratchet certainly isn't fool proof either. Especially the higher engagement it is.
Indeed. You have to be on top of maintenance.

After killing a few Shimano and Nukeproof pawl hubs, I've switched all my bikes to boring but reliable DT 350 hubs. Being 10-15kms in the woods with a skipping/non-engaging hub gets old pretty quick. With DT's patent now up, I guess more companies will make ratchet hubs in different price points.
Besides breaking frames, rear hubs are the parts I destroyed the most. I've killed many fatbike hubs and a bunch of Hope, SRAM and Ringle.

Need to get a hold of a DT350 for the fatbike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Seems the Novatec issue was my dodgy installation of the freehub. I don't really understand how I could have fucked it up but it hasn't skipped once with the new pawls in it.
Same grease, same installation technique.

From new(with me swapping freehubs) it let out a few little pop noises which I assumed were incomplete engagements, maybe some of them were pawls breaking.
The ratchet did sound really nice after a couple of day's use but it was because it had engagement points that were outta sync due to the snapped pawls. So I know if it starts to sound nice there is a pawl problem.

I managed to dent the rear rim riding a XC track while running an insert and a DD case tire, pretty sad for a 600g rim.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The previous owner of my bike (Polygon Siskiu T8) switched the original wheels (Shimano hubs/Entity rims) to these Radius branded hubs (which I assume are either rebranded Novatecs or Shun Fengs) and Race Face rims.

The freehub has six pawls, but only three engage at each time, doubling the effective POE to what I assume are 108.

Sealing isn't the best, so once some gunk gets past the the seal and onto the pawls they skip pretty frequently.

Maybe your pawl breaking issue had a similar cause as my skipping one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seems the Novatec issue was my dodgy installation of the freehub. I don't really understand how I could have fucked it up but it hasn't skipped once with the new pawls in it.
Same grease, same installation technique.

From new(with me swapping freehubs) it let out a few little pop noises which I assumed were incomplete engagements, maybe some of them were pawls breaking.
The ratchet did sound really nice after a couple of day's use but it was because it had engagement points that were outta sync due to the snapped pawls. So I know if it starts to sound nice there is a pawl problem.

I managed to dent the rear rim riding a XC track while running an insert and a DD case tire, pretty sad for a 600g rim.
try using different grease. i started using the PTFE lube from hadley across all my hubs, has made a difference. IME when using the PTFE lube and it starts to get loud again, that means its time to service them.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
XTR shifters are smooth as silk for me, two sets going on four years of hard use.
And I have crazy fucked up thumbs.
Yeah Brother, I agree with you 100%. I can not for the Life of me figure out what the Fuck they are Babbling about? Save for Gary,due to where he Lives and weather. Hence that could make sense to me. Shit,Low End Shimano still takes Sram for a nice little walk.

I am talking out my ass,other than when I wrenched for the Evil Empire,and they ran Sram. That was my only run with SRAM. I must say,they felt the same way Jm feels,loved it. It is very difficult to find a bike part Jm is happy with. How are you with Veggies Brother?

I came here to ask a question on that Hopey Moi Moi video. I am sorry,I could not find the proper thread. My slow ass Internet.

How the Fuck can that guy have the Same thing?
Why did it not it come up from Moi? Too young?
Did the patent run out?
What the Fuck? This is a Crime. It must be dealt with by the Supreme Bike Court,of Supreme Judges.

Avy

No,that is bias,so I say, ”some” Monkey Court?

Whomever we pick,it must be Real Cunts for our beloved Bikes. Like buck,Gary,Jm,engletracing,and many more. These Cunts will judge the problem or argument and have the final say. So it shall be written,so it shall be done.

I know,the Court of Cunt’s.

Avy

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yeah Brother, I agree with you 100%. I can not for the Life of me figure out what the Fuck they are Babbling about?
When compared to 10 speed shifters, 11 and 12 speed ones require a bigger effort to initiate the paddle movement, that's a fact. Even Shimano acknowledged it back in the day. They said it was to minimize the chance of unintentional shifting, especially during rough descents.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
When compared to 10 speed shifters, 11 and 12 speed ones require a bigger effort to initiate the paddle movement, that's a fact. Even Shimano acknowledged it back in the day. They said it was to minimize the chance of unintentional shifting, especially during rough descents.
I hear you,I just don’t think that is that much of a problem?

If you were a Pro XC Racer,then I would sit up in my chair and listen.

I mean,we tend to stay Low in a gear when climbing,then get Higher when we tire.

You are talking about a slight bit of more friction on a shift. The Shift is Proper on Both. It ain’t F1.

Avy