Quantcast

THIS really sucks: Fabian Barel - Dislocated Knee... (ouch)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Damn, healing vibes.

The guys my favorite racer. He exudes passion and he is on it, he is, in my opinion, the fastest downhiller there is.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...the track was greasy/wet, he over cleared a TRIPLE, piled into a hidden tree stump and went OTB?!!

Holy Crap...

My knees hurt just looking at those pics... damn... I agree wholeheartedly with Inclag - Fabian is not only passionate but expresses it so well. I remember someone on here posted up some of Fabian's journal entries from the WC's a few years ago... not a bad writer for a DH'er... :)

Get well soon Fabian!

EDIT: DonDon and Gordo - thanx for the info and pics! Any word on what the docs have to say?

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
that is some of the worst news I have read in a long time...I was really hoping Fabien would do well this year, he is such an amazing rider and person. luck just doesn't seem to be on his side?! I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I remember reading about his preparations for the World Champs as he recovered from his ankle injury...truly and inspiring read. I would think that if anyone can get back ahead of schedule, it's him. Here's to a speedy recovery.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
was it his knee or his knee cap?

if its his knee cap(which it will probably be) he will be back racing this summer.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
If he tore Ligaments, its more than likely he dislocated the knee, and will be 8 weeks to get back. I know I have doen twice and its a pain. I tore mine 6 weeks ago and the thigh muscles visually are atrophied. Im now able to squat.

Hope he misses as few WC's as possible, the guy is Class.

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
man that sux... he's coming off from another injury when he was testing out the bike too... hope he gets better soon and fast...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Fabian is gnarly....

Fabien Barel Says:
April 4th, 2009 at 1:21 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your great messages and comments.
**** happen, specially in DH. not much to say now. as the knee is really big and has lots of blud into it. you cannot see much at the scan. I have to go back on Monday to the hospital and recheck if ligaments are broken or not. I unfortunatly already broke the posterior one in 2001 in japan. so those are already gone. it is probably why the knee dislocated. we put it back in on the side of the track while warm so it should help on the recovery. we will see monday If it is doable to ride next weekend with a kneebrace. if not we will do what is needed to and come back stronger than ever.

Cheers
Fab

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
...the track was greasy/wet, he over cleared a TRIPLE, piled into a hidden tree stump and went OTB?!!
Yes, the track was hella greasy on friday but he didn't over jump a triple, there isn't a triple on that section of the track. As far as I could figure out from my brother who got there just after it happened, he hit the first ski jump and then went for the road gap and either hit a tree stump as he landed or went off the track and hit a tree stump and crashed. I'm not exactly sure where the tree stump was though.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I hate the tracks where there are tree stumps left. You have to dig them out! You can't see them cause they get covered with dirt. Also hate it, when the organizer doesn't remove the leaves from the track, that can cover stuff like stumps etc. But then again...it's DH and you have to cope with it. I just think that safety for racers must be top priority.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I hate the tracks where there are tree stumps left. You have to dig them out! You can't see them cause they get covered with dirt. Also hate it, when the organizer doesn't remove the leaves from the track, that can cover stuff like stumps etc. But then again...it's DH and you have to cope with it. I just think that safety for racers must be top priority.
The leaves aren't on the track. They only on the other side of the tape so the stumps aren't covered unless you go off the track. I'v just heard the story of what happened just now, it was pretty much his fault as far as I can figure out. He apparently came down nose heavy and went over the bars and hooked his knee on a stump while he was sliding, thats what did the damage.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Ok. Thanks for clearing this up. Fabien is often too fast in some sections, maybe cause he is so motivated. Anybody remembers Mt. St. Anne 2003 and his final jump crash and the 2 weeks later he was 3rd in Worlds (Lugano)? Not to mention broken foot in 2007 and then he almost won the title in Ft. William.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Shame, just spoke with him now and he has confirmed me that dislocation is pretty bad so flighs back to France, so no race for him here... But sure he comes much stronger as he always does!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Cesar - sorry to hear this!

Hopefully Fabian can get his knee treated and operated on soon so he can come back toward the end of the season.

Let us know how he is doing - and much appreciated for the update!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
That's a real bummer to here, he is one of my favorite riders on the WC right now. Heal up Fabien!!!!!

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I remember reading about his preparations for the World Champs as he recovered from his ankle injury...truly and inspiring read. I would think that if anyone can get back ahead of schedule, it's him. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Do u remeber where you read that? Id love to read that article.