Quantcast

This weeks Snowshoe build report

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Another weekend packed full of trail building at Snowshoe and more pics to show everyone. Check out our dedicated mountain biking website http://ride.snowshoemtn.com and go to the photos section for pics of all the new features. Some of the new stuff built this weekend included:

skinnies, jumps, huge berms, drops (both natural and manmade) and a few other little surprises.

Check it out and let us know what you think. We are constantly building and prepping for opening day on May 29th (Memorial Day W/E). Building will continue regularly throughout the summer as well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
how much are day passes?also can one ride the dh stuff and the freeride stuff?how far from asheville nc?i know i could find all this info myself but i am lazy. that place is really pickin up some speed on the building looks like fun. sucks to be wintergreen right about now huh?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Thanks everyone. If anyone cares, the second rider in the ad (dressed in black shorts and an XXL jersey) is me! It's probably the only time I'll ever be in a magazine, so I thought it was pretty cool.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Hulkamaniac
Thanks everyone. If anyone cares, the second rider in the ad (dressed in black shorts and an XXL jersey) is me! It's probably the only time I'll ever be in a magazine, so I thought it was pretty cool.

AWSOME! Tell your Group sales people to return their phone calls. I left a message Thursday.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
looks like it's coming along quite nicely, I'm shooting to be up the last 2 weekends in May before opening day....

lookin fun, nice to see a smallish new magazine like Decline supporting the riding/scene/building.

the site looks great!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by BigMike
Who teaches the intro to freeriding? and how do you do an intro to freeriding? :confused:

"See that rock? go huck off of it" :p

I could do that. How much does a freeride instructor get paid?

"See that lip? Just pull up like this...ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!...CRASH! Ok now don't do that!! It's real easy man!"

Mike

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC

Who teaches the intro to freeriding? and how do you do an intro to freeriding? :confused:
This guy can teach you everything you need to know -

Hulk - everything's looking great! Memorial Day weekend can't come soon enough! :thumb:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

Who teaches the intro to freeriding?
I am. I'm real good at standing and watching other people jump off of stuff, and then telling them how to do it better.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I can't wait to take a 2 or even 3 day weekend trip up there! The only thing that is going to suck is that i'll be going by myself :( because I don't know anyone that rides and I'd have to rent EVERYTHING! I'll be the only person taking the intro to freeriding because I've never really rode FS before :dead:

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
That looks real fun! Any pics of the regular (natural) trails that are being cut?

I love man made stuff, and I can totally understand taking pics of the stuff you took so long to make, but what about the natural singletrack stuff like on the old Pro course?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'd like to go to Snowshoe some time in the summer, but I've got a hardtail. Are there existing or planned freeride trails that one can enjoy with a hardtail, or is FS a necessity?

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
It says that there are XC trails and of course you can take a hardtail on the park and whatnot..it's just not going to be as fun as FS. Im just going to rent one and wreck myself real bad on it because my P.1 is set up strictly for street.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Superdeft
I'd like to go to Snowshoe some time in the summer, but I've got a hardtail. Are there existing or planned freeride trails that one can enjoy with a hardtail, or is FS a necessity?
That stuff looks more fun on a hardtail in my opinion ... but for the dh course and drops above 6 feet i'd ride my squish bike. Plus my hardtail is set up too steep for dh. Yours should be fine w/ a 5 inch fork.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Originally posted by downy
That stuff looks more fun on a hardtail in my opinion ... but for the dh course and drops above 6 feet i'd ride my squish bike. Plus my hardtail is set up too steep for dh. Yours should be fine w/ a 5 inch fork.

..provided I get one, I'd love to get out there.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Dude, I can't wait to come. I'll be up the weekend after memorial day until the 16th or 17th I think. I think i'll be helping out at the bike shop, who runs that place since Tommy left last year? I'm guessing thats Mikey in the Ringle jersey?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Superdeft
Too bad, hardtails are illegal @ Snowshoe just like Whistler. You can't DH on a HT.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea, gotta watch out for those hardtail nazi peeps, they seem to hide behind trees and massive rocks on the DH course.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Matt D
Too bad, hardtails are illegal @ Snowshoe just like Whistler. You can't DH on a HT.
:angry: I heard about that for Whistler ... guess it makes sense that it would apply to snowshoe too. But I thought a bunch of HT riders protested it at Whistler or something or other. Do you think it will change?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
:angry: I heard about that for Whistler ... guess it makes sense that it would apply to snowshoe too. But I thought a bunch of HT riders protested it at Whistler or something or other. Do you think it will change?
No. I heard that just today there is an actual law they passed.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I don't see the Whistler thing changing; it's Canada after all and their laws are pretty strange. I'd have more hope for Snowshoe though, since freeriding is gonna get a lot more popular there....people will definitely be pushing for it.....

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by Matt D
I'm prepared to make citizen's arrests vigilante stylie if need be.

I don't want to see anyone on RM7s either because you can't freeride on those. I'm sorry, you just can't.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by DamienC
I'm prepared to make citizen's arrests vigilante stylie if need be.

I don't want to see anyone on RM7s either because you can't freeride on those. I'm sorry, you just can't.

AHHHHH! you beat me too it! I was gonna say I was going to borrow my friends RM7 and take it to Snowshoe. Damn you Damien :angry:

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Are hardtails aloud at the jumps at whistler and such? Because they've completely lost it if they won't allow them on the dirt jumps.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Are hardtails aloud at the jumps at whistler and such? Because they've completely lost it if they won't allow them on the dirt jumps.

dj's are okay. DH, like on mountains and steep stuff, not okay.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by D�R
dj's are okay. DH, like on mountains and steep stuff, not okay.
Although it is rumored that after witnessing the majesty of the FRONJ, it was decided that only rusty old cruisers and pixie bikes will be allowed for dirt jumping.

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
I remember when the only bike I had was a bannana seat, yeah, I was a poor kid. And of course i tried to jump it... let's just say i never landed anything...and look at me now, I still dont land anything.

Are unicycles okay for djs ?

--z--

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Sorry, no pics of the new dh course at this time. Unfortunately, I'm not the one with the camera and nobody's been able to make it over to the Western Territory just yet. The new course is cut and being worked on, but nobody has really had a chance to get a camera over there........let alone ride it, but that will change soon.

No hardtails at Whistler??? Is that a law for real or has someone just started a rumor and now it's taking off out of sarcasm??? That seems very odd to me, as some of the best riders I know ride hardtails exclusively and I tend to enjoy the brutal punishment of riding hardtail dh quite often. Everything here at Snowshoe is rideable on a hardtail and it's definitely your own choice as to whether to ride fully or hardtail.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
HARDTAILS ROCK! WOO! Too bad the HT Nazis are coming after me now.:nuts: So will the 4x course be up by the summit bike shop this year?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
The mtn x course is going to be constructed on Log Slide this year. The reason it two fold as 1) it will be able to stay up all summer long and provide an awesome/long course and 2) it's in a dry location on the mountain and has a good pitch to the trail.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Originally posted by Hulkamaniac
The mtn x course is going to be constructed on Log Slide this year. The reason it two fold as 1) it will be able to stay up all summer long and provide an awesome/long course and 2) it's in a dry location on the mountain and has a good pitch to the trail.

So does that mean the general public can ride it?? :D :D