Quantcast

**Thoisday**

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin! Went to bed feeling fine and woke up with a sore throat. Dislike. No ride today after work either. Dislike some more. :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Woohoo! Picked up the boat, took it home to clean up before the lady got off work and get it ready to hit the water. She didn't get off until 5, but we were at the launch by 5:30. Put the boat in, started it up and parked the truck. Puttered away from the dock, started to give it gas and it dies.

Jen looks at me, a little scared, a little disappointing. I said "it's still a little cold, give it a minute." Restarted the boat, gave her a few revs and we were off!

I got a little excited and opened her up before I got 500' from the marina. When I got back, some dude was waiting to tear me a new ass for running a wake near the marina. "I took pics of your hull numbers and if I ever see you do that again I will have you arrested!" :rofl: My bad.

It was a short trip up river just to get it out. I got her up to and held it at 42mph (gps app) and wasn't at WOT yet. Jen was cold and a little scared after watching that speedboat crash gif, so I didn't haul too much ass. But damn, she will scoot.

Not floating...

Slow mo video.
[video]http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/jimmydean69/?action=view&current=video-2014-04-02-18-24-49_zpsqv3cucyn.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think she will do 50-55ish wide open. The stainless prop I have is a different pitch and is supposed to do 70. Not sure I need it since 40 on the water feels pretty damn fast. The speedo doesn't work, the trim gauge doesn't work, the temp gauge doesn't work. I found the switch for the fuel tank gauge pushed into the dash, I managed to get it remounted, but the location sucks.

A local shop said they could redo the seats for $350ish. Not sure I am ready to dump that much in to it, but if she stays running, I might.

Another neighbor across the street (next door to Mr Mom) came buy and was checking it out and was telling me some good places to hit on the river. His boat is pretty nice, but he let the interior get moldy then tried to clean it using bleach and had no idea what he was doing, so his seats are shot. :rofl:

Jen says "So what do you think of our little ghetto boat?" She really likes it, but it sure as hell isn't as nice as the others in the neighborhood. But we own it outright and could sell it formore than what we paid right now. So I don't mind it being a little ghetto. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:think:

WTF?

Saw them in 1990-ish at Joe Louis Arena... I learned to take earplugs to rock concerts after that one...
if i had to sit through that ****e....i would use a ice pick on my ears....

/musicsnobrant.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think she will do 50-55ish wide open. The stainless prop I have is a different pitch and is supposed to do 70. Not sure I need it since 40 on the water feels pretty damn fast. The speedo doesn't work, the trim gauge doesn't work, the temp gauge doesn't work. I found the switch for the fuel tank gauge pushed into the dash, I managed to get it remounted, but the location sucks.

A local shop said they could redo the seats for $350ish. Not sure I am ready to dump that much in to it, but if she stays running, I might.

Another neighbor across the street (next door to Mr Mom) came buy and was checking it out and was telling me some good places to hit on the river. His boat is pretty nice, but he let the interior get moldy then tried to clean it using bleach and had no idea what he was doing, so his seats are shot. :rofl:

Jen says "So what do you think of our little ghetto boat?" She really likes it, but it sure as hell isn't as nice as the others in the neighborhood. But we own it outright and could sell it formore than what we paid right now. So I don't mind it being a little ghetto. :D
so this is really just a dick measuring exercise in your neighborhood huh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Props to JD on not sinking to the bottom of the Willamette... yet.

I had a rehearsal last night (quintet) and another one tonight (subbing for a "semi-pro", ie paid meagerly, orchestra). I have also not shaved in 16 days, if I count correctly. Project Beard is ongoing.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
my friday. more arguing with our client about incentive bonus payments.... Only 8 hours though, so it'll be over with in a flash.

Hope to ride this weekend, but tomorrow with involve going to pick up my new pannier (i went with the Thule) and a light for some night riding. I'm bringing Jr. i predict ipad zombification in the back seat for him...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Morning Monkeys.

. I got her up to and held it at 42mph (gps app) and wasn't at WOT yet.

]
FYI, most outboards are not meant to be ran at WOT for more than a few minutes, most you will use WOT to get up to speed, or pull a skier/boarder up onto the water then back off the throttle. You will still be at max speed. If you stay at wot, specially with these 2cycle outboards, you will find yourself using Way too much fuel, and going through plugs fast. It will sound as if you are going faster but your max rpm really does not change in that last 15-20% ish of the throttle.

Just a little information

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is it supposed to sound like a tractor?
It's a 2 stroke, I am told it sounds "good" so I guess so. :rofl:

FYI, most outboards are not meant to be ran at WOT for more than a few minutes, most you will use WOT to get up to speed, or pull a skier/boarder up onto the water then back off the throttle. You will still be at max speed. If you stay at wot, specially with these 2cycle outboards, you will find yourself using Way too much fuel, and going through plugs fast. It will sound as if you are going faster but your max rpm really does not change in that last 15-20% ish of the throttle.

Just a little information

That is good info, thanks. I just want to see what it tops out at. Jen had a hoodie and big jacket on all bundled up. I could tell she was freezing, I was having to much fun to care. I should never have shown her that crash gif. :panic:

<edit> I wish I could swap out the controls for something nicer, but there are compatibility issues I am told. Bob said some of the Mercury stuff is interchangeable, so I will look for a newer setup that might work with my ghetto mix and match motor. The speed controls in there now have a lot of slop.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
so this is really just a dick measuring exercise in your neighborhood huh
I live in one of the nicer areas of town. I only know the dude next door, Mr Mom and Mr Mom's neighbor. Mr Mom hates us because we opted out of their super bowl party. He's still pretty cool, but his wife is a total bitch.

The hood in general is pretty shallow and materialistic even though there isn't much REAL money there, just a lot of credit gone bad. There are a total of 4 zombie houses and 2 that were never finished being built when the sh!t hit the fan. It's a small town, so it doesn't take much to be in the 1% (like a house without wheels on it). :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I didn't do so well on the simulator today. Bumped on take off and landing. Got pissed at the ATC for asking the same question phugging ten times before I could answer her. My speed got away from me and I climbed above my ceiling for 120nm. Needless to say I won't be flying Saturday. I am grounded until I come up with an explanation as to why a Ground crew dickhead walked in front of me while I was on the taxiway?? My first incident report... Phack!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I didn't do so well on the simulator today. Bumped on take off and landing. Got pissed at the ATC for asking the same question phugging ten times before I could answer her. My speed got away from me and I climbed above my ceiling for 120nm. Needless to say I won't be flying Saturday. I am grounded until I come up with an explanation as to why a Ground crew dickhead walked in front of me while I was on the taxiway?? My first incident report... Phack!
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&site=&source=hp&q=do+a+barrel+roll&oq=do+a+barrel+roll&gs_l=hp.3..0i20l2j0l8.785.3343.0.3721.17.9.0.8.8.0.192.948.5j4.9.0....0...1c.1.39.hp..2.15.778.0.g7OzM8oHMhc

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah mine had a fair bit of slop as well, but you get used to it. I do have to ask is this your first boat?
Oh yes, very much my first boat. I was a master helmsman in the Navy and went to small boat school (20 years ago, but still), but never got a boat due to other priorities. Jen had mentioned getting one for the summer if we could do it with cash, so we started seriously looking last winter with plans to get one before spring.

I did a ton of research and just like other purchases I made a list of wants/needs with a few must haves. Jen's only requirement was "I want space to lounge" so it had to have benches and it became apparent that an open bow was a huge plus. After researching power and price, I knew I wanted the biggest motor I could find, so this boat on paper was near perfect (original budget was $2500, but that was tough).

This boat is a little longer than I wanted (20') but nothing would fit well in the garage anyway, so not a huge deal. Now that I've had it out, I couldn't be happier. It is fast, lots of room, and seemed to handle nice (bu it was very calm).

I dated a chick years ago whos dad had a 24' Bayliner with a V6. It was a nice boat, but it was gutless. With 4 people it would get its ass kicked by the current and you were stuck doing 15mph tops up stream. I wanted something that could get out of its own way if I needed it to, this one seems to do that well enough.

I will redo the wiring, install a bilge pump, get the gauges to work, and replace all the rotted seat wood. The color looks like it should buff out well and shine up all the chrome and it will look a lot less ghetto. :rofl:

<edit> The hardest part right now will be making a passenger side windscreen to match the drivers side. It's just a piece of amber polycarbonate, but bending it to match will be the tough part. I have the mounting hardware for the passenger side just no screen. I was going to replace both with a universal set, but they are $80 each and don't look as cool. I can get a chunk of poly for $25.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That is what I was looking for, good to know there is another on the water that has actual training for small crafts.
Yup, it's been a while but it isn't my first time driving something fast on the water. I did hear some funny ass stories from the neighbor about Mr Mom's boating adventures. Not only did he have a huge/expensive boat, he had ZERO idea what he was doing with it. It had some serious battle scars from plowing into docks and who knows what else. He also had to have it recovered because he didn't put the plug in and it sank tied to the dock.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yup, it's been a while but it isn't my first time driving something fast on the water. I did hear some funny ass stories from the neighbor about Mr Mom's boating adventures. Not only did he have a huge/expensive boat, he had ZERO idea what he was doing with it. It had some serious battle scars from plowing into docks and who knows what else. He also had to have it recovered because he didn't put the plug in and it sank tied to the dock.
Some of the funniest entertainment is just sitting back and watching boat loading. Launching can be fun, but loading is the best. The lake I used to frequent have a couple dozen brand new speed/ski boats on the bottom of it that never made it past the first run... Seen it happen when they go full bore and just shut it down and sink away, gotta love not knowing what your doing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some of the funniest entertainment is just sitting back and watching boat loading. Launching can be fun, but loading is the best. The lake I used to frequent have a couple dozen brand new speed/ski boats on the bottom of it that never made it past the first run... Seen it happen when they go full bore and just shut it down and sink away, gotta love not knowing what your doing.
that reminds me, last summer i was kayaking at the river by me. these two blonds pull up in a ford ranger with a jet ski in tow. just launching the jet ski they almost ditched the truck into the river :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Watching most people try to back a trailer is hilarious. I drove a wheel lift tow truck, so I got damn good at backing up with something on the back. Some folks never grasp the concept. :rofl:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
doin it.
doin it.
doin it.
/end thursday chant
I will be a bachelor this weekend. L is headed to SF. I am so boring...In sin city, will be all by my lonesome & all I will do is eat sushi & head for the mountains & watch workaholics.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My funny/coolstorybro boat story:

I went fishing with my old boss, his son and another older coworker at Winneppesauki in NH 2 summers ago. Two Jeeps, two boats (my boss and said older coworker's). Older coworker didn't do too well with driving on long(er) road trips, so my boss volunteered me to drive up and back with his 17' boat in tow. Before that, I had never driven with a trailer before, so I was a bit nervous. Then when I found out I had to also put the boat in the water, I was even more nervous (mind you, the path leading up to the boat ramp was lined about 200' with trucks/trailers on both sides). When we got to the marina, I could see a giant smile on my boss's face, as if to say "let's see how awesome you are now, fvcker". Loop the Jeep/trailer around, back all the way down through the line of trucks/trailers, make the slight turn towards the ramp, and gently ease the trailer into the water. First shot, didn't even have to realign at any time. Once I'm in position, I look up through the windshield to see my boss and his son completely shocked. My friend said "Are you sure you've never done this before?"

It was one of these moments:

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Oh, man - is that a *wooden* boat?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
You know it, 100% wood.
26' 1969 Lyman Offshore with rebuilt 318 Chrysler inboard.
Had it for 15 years, gone over everything myself, kicks ass.
Been caught out in stupid seas and don't hesitate to throw the family in it (which is necessary since I sit in back drinking beers while my kids dodge lobster traps.)

My 7yo designated driver last fall:

IMG_1167.JPG

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my cool story boat story...

those little motorboats you could take out at disney world....at least about 35 years ago you could.....upon returning i put one on the fvcking dock.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Nice work.
Bill submerged the bed of my '02 chevy to the cab, in sea water, thinking it would be easier to load the dinghy if I just rowed right in. Sold it two days later.
Matt was there but I don't think he'd remember.

Granted he'd been drinking and promptly backed his own truck through a salon window later that evening.