Quantcast

thomson stem for fr?

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
i want to run a 70mm thomson x4 on my rmb slayer (matched up with some carbon dh bars )... i used it mostly as a trail bike but occasionally i take it to the local bike park ( diablo).

i would trust the 50mm x4 its just it makes the bike climb like shyte .. hence the 70mm.

does any one thing i would have a problem with it?

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I'll trust the Thompson stem 100x more than the carbon bar it's attached to. There's plenty of people running Thompson stems and posts for really serious riding, you won't have an issue.

The shorter length will make you tend to wheelie a bit more on really steep technical stuff, I'd also run the 70 if you'll be riding trails with it.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
I run a thomson post on my brookyln.. and didn't look at it that way..lol

Its mostly a trail bike but id like to be able to not swap parts and shuttle some runs on it too.. f-it I'm getting one..lol

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i have been abusing my thomson 70mm x4 stem for a while now.

like mentioned above. your bars will break before your stem will.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Go with the 50 who cares how it climbs.

Personally I can't stand how longer stems make bikes handle.

I run a 50mm thomson on my do everything bike (nomad).

For me climbing is a chore. Descending is the fun part so I like to setup my bike with that in mind.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
Go with the 50 who cares how it climbs.

Personally I can't stand how longer stems make bikes handle.

I run a 50mm thomson on my do everything bike (nomad).

For me climbing is a chore. Descending is the fun part so I like to setup my bike with that in mind.[/QUOTE
thats why i run a 70 mm and not a 90 mm 70 is a happy medium for playing and climbing This. Not much more expensive than a Thomson, 50mm or 70mm length options, much lighter, and so much more bling. :thumb:
i know wicked nice .. it crossed my mind .. a few times lolz

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Thomson makes one of the strongest stems in the bidness. You will have no problems, I have an X4 stem that has been with me for years. Talking with one of the Thomson reps at interbike a few years back he told me that they actually have trouble testing their stems, the test equipment limits out before the stems even come close to failure.

kgelster

Chimp
May 22, 2009
Chicago
Go with the 50mm, aside from the great steering feel a shorty stem will give you, the Thomson 50 looks amazing...

That photo was taken after installing and abusing it. They're built to last. :thumb:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
ran a Thomson X4 70mm on my Banshee Chaparral and abused that bike all over Whistler Bike Park and Vancouver North Shore

you won't have ANY problems with a Thomson X4 regardless of length

the 50mm is slightly heavier (despite being shorter) as its even stronger, but the 70mm and 90mm stems are also crazy strong

I've seen some insane "tests" (way beyond anything a mountain bike would encouter) carried out by Thomson on their stems and seatposts like hanging a Ford truck off a stem!!

I won't ever use anything but Thomson for my mountain bike stems and seatpost, I have 3 Elite posts on different bikes, and 2 X4 stems (50mm and 70mm) on different bikes

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
ran a Thomson X4 70mm on my Banshee Chaparral and abused that bike all over Whistler Bike Park and Vancouver North Shore

you won't have ANY problems with a Thomson X4 regardless of length

the 50mm is slightly heavier (despite being shorter) as its even stronger, but the 70mm and 90mm stems are also crazy strong

I've seen some insane "tests" (way beyond anything a mountain bike would encouter) carried out by Thomson on their stems and seatposts like hanging a Ford truck off a stem!!

I won't ever use anything but Thomson for my mountain bike stems and seatpost, I have 3 Elite posts on different bikes, and 2 X4 stems (50mm and 70mm) on different bikes
i have to agree! all of my bikes, except for my DH bike on which i have a direct mount stem, are equipped with Thompson stems and posts. good stuff!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I run a 4x 50 on my Demo 7 and my Transition Double, no problems. Although I did just order a Point One Ti Limited ed for my demo. Could not resist temptation when I had extra money to burn...lol

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
I've been thinking about the 70mm too. I want to run it on my GaryFiser Hi-Fi Deluxe 5in trail bike.

Def no worries w/ Thomson's dependability. Crazy strong and very light. I have been thinking the same thing you are talking about. Climbing has to be done but honestly if the stem leans me too far forward that the weight is on the front of the bike, why bother? Seriously, I wanna shred the turns on descent after climbing. Why grunt thru the uphill chore only to exercise your brakes more than your suspension? If I put in the work to climb then I want the pay off on the descent.

My thoughts are get the 70mm in zero degree angle. That way it isn't postured either too low or too high. Still giving you some climb capability, plus the shortness will make it respond quickly and allow you to get on the back end a little easier when descending and shredding thru turns.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: