Quantcast

Thomson X4 stem any good ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Looking at getting a new DH stem
like the Thomson X4 31.8 x 50mm x 0 deg stem

Anyone using them and what do you think of them ?

Do they clamp up nice and tight to your bars and steerer
since they have a cutout in the steerer clamp and
use smaller bolts than other stems ?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
We run them on our slalom bikes. No issues and a damn good looking stem. Industrial art at it's finest. Make sure to use a torque wrench on the bolts.

Do it... Do it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The bolts always sieze, at least on my old one.

Make sure to use antisieze and a torque wrench. They sho are light, though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Bicyclist said:
The bolts always sieze, at least on my old one.

Make sure to use antisieze and a torque wrench. They sho are light, though.
Like the original thomson stem, you cannot loosen one bolt all the way then go the the other. If you do this, all the load transfers to the non-loosened bolt and effectively over torques the remaining bolt. You need to loosen a quarter turn at a time (per bolt), and alternate bolts (1, 3, 2, 4). Keep going around and around until done. Same technique goes for tightening. I have solved stems with several 'seized' bolts this way.

Anti sieze is Key as well!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Anyone succesfully ride DH with an X4 with a shim down to 25.4? My gorilla homeslice runs a shim from a 888 stem on his DNA, but his bars are only 26" wide.

I wish thompson had designed that stem so that it came with a shim from the factory that was perfectly sized. There is no point asking if Thomson stuff is good, because it is the best in the world...

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I've wondered this for awhile as well. In a perfect world every 31.8mm stem should come with a shim to run smaller bars. Who wouldn't kick in a couple extra bucks for that? Ah well, the elite's I'm running are damn nice as well. I only wish Thomson would make more parts, everything they make is near perfect.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Many thanks everyone for your help
sounds like the go for OS stems , but a shim to go to 25.4
would be nice too, but looks like OS is here to stay.

My next question is what handlebar is worthy to be bolted on such a
good stem like a X4 ?

A Easton EA70 monkeybar (low or mid-rise) bar comes to mind.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Easton Havok stem weighs just a touch more and has correct sized bolts that undo(even though I undo in a gasket style).I'm running a Thomson but I am suss of the lil bolts.Sorry just playing devils advocate and keen to get re asured as they do make me nervous even though I'm sure they're as strong as bars etc.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry, but Thomson stems are typical mountain bike fluff. Highpriced due to market stupidity, over-designed and essentially no better then a standard stem. I have an Axiom block stem (that of course I can't find right now, its buried in hte bike room) thats light, nicely finished, and $30 retail. And thats Canadian funds. It holds the bar, doesn't slip, and takes all kinds of abuse.

Explain to me why I'd pay $100 MORE for a Thomson stem? Oh yeah, cause mountain bikers are seriously some of the bigger label whores ever, me included. Forgot about that.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Explain to me why I'd pay $100 MORE for a Thomson stem? Oh yeah, cause mountain bikers are seriously some of the bigger label whores ever, me included. Forgot about that.
$130 for a stem in CA? No wonder you are so jaundiced. I don't know about anyone else, but I paid a little more in USD that the Axiom price you quoted. I'm not a label whore (at least not for stems :eek: ), but I got my X4 because it was stiff and because it was light.