Quantcast

Thoughts on a new bike build

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
I think I just found a buyer for my '06 SX trail, so I immediately started thinking about what I am going to replace it with, and just wanted some of your guys thoughts.

I just moved from Seattle to Boise, and want to go with a little shorter travel and lighter alll mountain set up, mostly to gain some versatility to climb better, there is way more up and down riding out here. This bike needs to be very versatile as I have lots of trail riding, a little super D and some DH to ride on it. Terrain here is mostly dry, flowy and fast with sketchy death sand corners, lots of up and down rides and some down hill/slalom type courses I hit often.

The bikes on the short list:

Trek EX8 (cheap)
Trek Remedy 8 (very well rounded stock build)
Intense 5.5 (Pike fork, XT build??)

The Intense is the most interesting to me because I want to own a VPP bike just to check it out, and owning a bike that is not a big T or S is appealing also, but Intense geometry is a little funky.The new remedy is actually a pretty cool bike, I rode it and was really impressed. The EX is pretty solid too, but might be built a little light for what I want.

I can get really good deals on these bikes, but if you have a suggestion of a frame under $1000 I appreciate any advice.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The 5.5 is going away, Intense is replacing it with the Tracer VP. btw, the Tracer VP looks F'n rad.

I'd also consider Spec Enduro SL, awesome Geo, really light and versatile.

I don't like Trek and the fact that they are infringing on others patents (DW's split pivot) only increases my dislike for them.

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
I am a little sketched out on the Pivots because they have some unique systems like the press fit BB and the unique braze on mounted front derailleur, I just don't feel comfortable jumping into new technology that limits part selection and can turn out to be a huge pain in the ass down the road (think Klein Palamino, I HATE that bike).

Zark: I just saw the new Tracer VP a couple of days ago, I second your "F'n rad" comment, think it might be the one.

Also, the Tracer VP has the 1.5 head tube, has anyone else heard of the new Fox Talas 32 with the tapered 1.5 steerer tube? That fork with the new fox QR 15 axle might be the ultimate AM enduro fork, and would make sweet sweet music with the Tracer.