Quantcast

Thoughts on Foi Gras

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Had some this weekend, wasn't too bad. I just don't understand the brew ha ha over banning it. I assume Tyson and other chicken companys treat their chickens the same, if not worse than the ducks and geese used in foi gras.

Comments anyone?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've had it, and thought it was terribly over rated. I don't get wanting to ban it either but I hate birds and love to see them suffer.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Foie Gras can be duck or goose liver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras

I like it but like Narlus only in smaller quantities. It's very rich - two or three bites is enough for me. I like it seared hot or cold in pate. I've also had ravioli stuffed with foie gras and black truffles...pretty killer.

The moral issues come mainly from the fact that production involves force-feeding to fatten the livers grossly beyond what they would otherwise be. Mass poultry production is horrible (snipped beaks anyone?) and conditions in most big poultry pens are probably worse than conditions at most foie gras producers - except for that whole force feeding thing, ducks and geese held for foie gras are probably slightly better off. So it's a personal dilemma - we all draw the line somewhere, often arbitrarily, and it's up to you to educate yourself and make your own call.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ha, they just slapped the local "Farm" with a fine from the EPA for dumping to much stuff into the local rivers. :)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I am a chef and I live in France. I have actually visited a Foie Gras farm. What I saw did not horrify me whatsoever. I saw no 'force-feeding', but the birds had constant access to food. Think of a fat kid in a free sweet shop. Of course they'll get fatter! The feed is designed to be fattening for sure. I'm not saying there are no inhumane or cruel techniques used in some farms, but the foie gras from the farm I visited is considered the finest...
As for cooking, one of my favourite dishes is:
'Panfried Foie Gras on a salad of roasted pears and dates with a walnut pesto and balsamic syrup':
Panfry in a medium-hot dry pan your 2cm thick slice of fresh Foie Gras for 2 mins either side, until golden. The degree of cooking for Foie Gras should be golden and crispy outer, runny and creamy centre. Serve this on a salad of roquette leaves, roasted or panfried pear slices and fresh, pitted dates. Drizzle a little walnut pesto (fresh walnuts, a pinch of good salt and olive oil blended together) and some balsamic vinigar reduction (boil balsamic vinegar until it is about 1/3 origional amount).
Enjoy!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Proper French Fois-Gras with the good ass yellow fat all around it is a world away from the commercial crap you can buy in supermarkets. If you get it in a tin, -10 points right there. The best stuff is normally available in sealed jars direct from the farm and is as different as sparkling white wine to genuine champagne.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So true Changleen. I think I'm a bit lucky living here in France where I can get it fresh in a whole piece. The tinned stuff isn't so bad, good to blend a bit into your final sauce to go with beef or duck for a bit of richness...
Bon Appetit

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
As for cooking, one of my favourite dishes is:
'Panfried Foie Gras on a salad of roasted pears and dates with a walnut pesto and balsamic syrup':
Panfry in a medium-hot dry pan your 2cm thick slice of fresh Foie Gras for 2 mins either side, until golden. The degree of cooking for Foie Gras should be golden and crispy outer, runny and creamy centre. Serve this on a salad of roquette leaves, roasted or panfried pear slices and fresh, pitted dates. Drizzle a little walnut pesto (fresh walnuts, a pinch of good salt and olive oil blended together) and some balsamic vinigar reduction (boil balsamic vinegar until it is about 1/3 origional amount).
Enjoy!
:drool:

that sounds awesome.