Quantcast

thoughts on Mavic Cross(ride/roc/max)?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my rear wheel is shot. it's time for something new. i'm heavy and I don't take it easy on my bike. my LBS is trying to talk me into a set of crossrides. I fully trust what they recommend but I'm just trying to do my research. What do you guys think of these wheelsets? Quality hubs? Strong, durable, etc...?

Also, I'm happy to take other recommendations. I do mostly XC riding in northern CA, usually very rocky trails. I was maybe also thinking about XT hubs and F517s. I was told the X517s are good rims but probably won't hold up to my style of riding.

Thanks
Dan

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I dont think cross ride/roc/max will hold up well either...

You can lace it with 519 rim which is beefed up 517.

519 32h 14G spokes w brass nipples something like that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, so much for selling you the CrossRoc's I have sitting in the living room :)

You need a light freeride rim, my friend. Rhyno Lite XL's (or whatever Mavic's light duty downhill/FR rim is, I can't remember right now) to a Hope or Hadley hub is the way to go...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
are 36h wheels going to hold up longer than 32? i'm guessing it's more weight and that's why people go with 32.

I think I'd like to go with Mavics. Right now I think it's either F519s or D321. I was thinking aboug going disc though and it doesn't look like the F519s are for disc setups. Why are some rims compatible with disc but not others. I thought it had more to do with the hub that they are laced to. Or is it the other way around and some wheels aren't meant to be used with conventional v-brakes?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've been using Crossmax's for over 4 years and they have held up very well. But I only weigh 180. I think you are going to want someting a little beefier than the standard XC offerings.

If you want to give it a try anyway - look for some used ones on the Net. You don't want to spend a fortune on wheels that might end up in the dumpster in a month.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I keep wacking my 317's on Hope Bulb hubs out of true cause I weigh about 230 and tend to still do drops and jumps when I am riding XC. I think the solution for guys our size is to just go to 321's and deal with the weight (386 grams more!).

I got some waiting to be laced up myself.

Want some 317's cheap?

:D

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what's the difference between the rhyno lite and the rhyno lite xl? wondering if the non-xl's will hold up to my abuse.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Silver
The XLs are welded, the regular ones are pinned.
The XL's are also a couple of mm wider. 29mm vs 27mm of the Lite.

For your needs, I'd recommend the Mavic D521 or D3.1 if you want to go tubeless. Both are lightweight DH rims that will hold up fine to hard XC use. I've been running a set of 521's on my XC bike since '98, and although I weigh considerably less than you, I also did some DH racing on the same wheels. People have been running the D521 on disc wheels for years and there are many who swear by them - myself included before I tried the UST D3.1.

I am not a fan of Sun rims... My measily 165 lbs blew the crap out of one in ONE day of DH practice, whereas my Mavic's keep coming back for more year after year... Sun Singlewide or Singletrack... also known as the Singleruns

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
For your weight and riding, I would recommend the D521 or whatever the designation is for it now. It's basically a lightweight DH rim or heavy XC rim. It's an old, proven design that has been around for years and is almost univerally accepted.

Rhyno XLs are nice and would hold up but I would go with the Mavics as they may be a little more durable. I have had pretty good luck with Sun Rims, though. I had a set of singlewides and they lasted a reasonable amount of time; I didn't have the single ride experience that some have had. Currently I am using a Mag 30 as a front rim and that thing is freaking indestructible. It's also a brick.