clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
hey im really interested in the P.Series
looking at the new 06 P.2
comments on any P's would be appreciated
pics would help as well.
has anyone put larger forks on it, if so how did it go? any dents in frame, etc.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'll post some pics of mine, just got it built the other day.

Around the block impressions are that it is FAST. I am not use to a hardtail as the other 2 bikes I have are full suspension, but just riding around the thing takes off. I have a Minute 1:00 fork on it turned down to the 4" travel mode and it seems to be the best at 4" rather than 120mm or 130mm (basicly 5"). I had no issues building it up. Once I got the frame prepped by the bike shop everything bolted on as I figured it would. I just have to adjust my skills to using a hardtail for messing around then a full suspension.

Having a bike that sits low is a weird feeling, but I'm growing on it. I bought it to learn how to DJ and BMX on as BMX bikes hurt my knees. I run long cranks as I have a lot of lower leg power and 175's help with that. I have a P1, 2005 frame that I built up custom. I have to shorten the brake lines but ehhh.......haven't gotten around to that yet :( I will though, just to make it right.

I got mine (frame and parts) for such good deals no one would have passed it up. I paid $170 for the frame (shipped to my door) brand new. I don't really like the part specs of the lower line P series but the P3 would be fine as it comes. I've adjusted to the nicer end of parts for bicycles so if it isn't of a high quality I don't want it. It's just the way I am with bikes. Too many bad experiences with cheapo parts.

By large forks, you mean dual crown? I dunno, it's pretty hairy riding it in the 5" travel mode. I couldn't imagine a shiver DC or something on one. That'd be real twitchy.

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
thanks spunger for the detail descrip.
yea im going from a dual to a hardtail so its gonna be weird
geez $170 is a sweet deal
is P3 the high end of the P series or is the P1... the specialized site doesnt make it evident... i know that sounds like a stupid question

ive seen pics and stuff of hardtails with dual crowns on them, and thats why i want to know if thats possible, cuz it sure doesnt look like its right.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
The P.3 is the top of the P series, and they are great bikes. I rode a second generation (black frame) p3 for two years until I broke it and got a 3rd gen (silver frame), which I eventually broke and got replaced with an 04 P.3 (blue frame). Yes I broke two frames, but they were the older models and they have since been redesigned from year to year and have gotten nothing but better. They do sit rather low, which does take some getting used to as someone stated above, but once you get used to it, you can ralley the bike like no other. I dunno about putting a super long travel fork on a P.3 tho, they're not really designed around much more than 125mm or so, and I usually had about 85 to 95mm forks on mine. I did run a pike on my last one and whenever I cranked the travel up to 145mm the bike felt really weird. Just my two cents worth. . .

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
P1, P2, and P3 in that order of worst to best (well least expensive to most expensive). P3 is the highest end one, has gears, hydro brakes and such, P2 has cable brakes, cheaper fork and parts and the P1 is a singlespeed with a cheapo fork.

I got lucky finding the frame for cheap. The rest of the parts sorta came cheap too. I have a fairly light build (FSA cranks/Headset/Bottom Bracket/Seatpost, Minute 1:00 fork, XT disc hubs, singletrack rims, Hayes Mag brakes, E.13 SRS, Shimano XT/105 stuff). It's light that's all I know.

The way it's set up is ment for a 100mm fork or around there. I imagine anything over 5" and the steering would get very sketchy. I think on alot of hardtails where you see Boxxers or 888's/shivers on the steering has to be funny. Not only is it tall in the front but probably has a chopper feel to it. The way my P1 is now doesn't feel completly like that, but comming from my other bikes it's a different feel. Just pedaling it around takes a few laps to get use to.

I got the longer of the 2. They offer a short and long on their bike sizes. Short being more for street and long more towards racing I think. The only difference was like a hair longer chainstay I think. So it didn't bother me. The rear wheel is right there under you. That might be the weird feeling as my other bikes it isn't that close to your behind. But I like it. I wouldn't have done it different any other way.

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
what was ure experience with the manitou minute, i hear everyone is raving about the marz dj series.

and yes i will probably pick up the 06, i like the paint job on the p.2 as well lol

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
clandestine said:
what was ure experience with the manitou minute, i hear everyone is raving about the marz dj series.
I am only using the Minute fork because I got it new, and it was $135. I imagine anyone would run it for that price :) So far it's pretty stiff, but I have 100psi in it and the air chamber knob turned down 3 turns playing with it. It is definately harder than normal.

If it messes up though I'll either get a gold label or a DJ fork from zocchi

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ive got an 06 P3, and shes treating me very very well. Got saint brakes and goodridge lines with a few other parts thrown in.... shes sweet

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Bicyclist said:
Definately get the long. The short is ridiculously short and there is mad toe overlap.
Unless you used to ride BMX in which case you'll probably prefer it.

Each to their own.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I used to ride BMX and still prefer the long. To me, the short is just too cramped. The long actually feels more manuverable because I've got space to move around. Plus, the long isn't really very long.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Boxxer said:
Ive got an 06 P3, and shes treating me very very well. Got saint brakes and goodridge lines with a few other parts thrown in.... shes sweet

pics?

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Changleen said:
Unless you used to ride BMX in which case you'll probably prefer it.

Each to their own.

i come from bmx and i prefer the long... have the SX in long too... short Pbike seemed tiny.... i run a 21.5TT on my bmx with an XL or XXL stem though... (6 foot)

just bought a complete P1 from a guy that never rode it... immediately stripped it and spray painted it black... and prepared to "make it my own" with my parts...

Long '05 P1 frame
Fox float 100R
profile cranks, mrp boomerang, imperial 37t chainwheel
atomic pedals
hadley trials rear hub on singletrack rim
ultegra road cassette
ultegra short cage rear der
XT shifter
ODI lock ons
ritchey bars/truvativ stem
thomson post/nirve seat
Holy rollers

light, stiff, and fast

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I just picked up an 06. I'll have more stuff posted on my site soon. here's a pic.

to see images of the stock P.3 go to Specialized's website.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
here is my current build... almost done... ultegra der and cassette... XT shifter... and shimano chain to be added... plus two perty little orange rollers on my MRP chainguide that is hiding in flat black...

it will get my larsens on race days... and a hope mini rear brake when i get the chance... other than that its pretty good to go :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Weaver said:
here is my current build... almost done... ultegra der and cassette... XT shifter... and shimano chain to be added... plus two perty little orange rollers on my MRP chainguide that is hiding in flat black...

it will get my larsens on race days... and a hope mini rear brake when i get the chance... other than that its pretty good to go :)

That build looks awesome. I really like the way that thing looks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
clandestine said:
hey what is the price range
$1200+ 15% tax CAN. reasonable for a P.2?

nice build btw
For a 2006 or a previous model? New or used? The range could be $400-$1000 USD.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
clandestine said:
hey im really interested in the P.Series
looking at the new 06 P.2
comments on any P's would be appreciated
pics would help as well.
has anyone put larger forks on it, if so how did it go? any dents in frame, etc.

I posted a bit on my website about my new 2006 P.3. Hope it helps.
As for forks, I'd recommend a Pike or Talus 36. I would recommend running the travel at around 90-110mm. I would't recommend a dual crown fork at all. That's so 1997.

http://www.ihatebikes.net/pages/P3_firstlook.html

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I'll get some pics of my 05, I just finished building it

05 long P1 (sand color)
04 Minute 1:00 fork with the newer minute internals set at 100mm
FSA Pig Pro headset, FSA cranks, FSA Seatpost (the dh one), FSA BB
Sic 50mm stem
Protaper Bars
Shimano XT shifter, 105 rear short cage
XT disc hubs laced to Sun Singletracks
IRC Kujo tires (just what I had around)
Hayes 6" Mag Hydros
E.13 guide

How do the Hollyrollers fit in the rear? My 2.25 kujo's cut it close. I know maxxis run small but what's the clearence like?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Spunger said:
How do the Hollyrollers fit in the rear? My 2.25 kujo's cut it close. I know maxxis run small but what's the clearence like?

I think they'd be fine, my friend runs an Intense Worldcup 2.5 on the rear with no problems.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
almost done.... ive got the wrong 6 cogs on the back... and need some major linkage out of the chain... but its feelin good so far...