Quantcast

Thule Rack Locks, Safe?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So I just got a shiny new Thule roof rack for my sexy honda odyssey. The 2 bike hitch rack wasn't enough, so I figured, with the U.S. open 2 weeks away why not spend a **** ton of money so I can carry 4-6 bikes and a cargo pod there? Anyways, my question is how safe is it to leave bikes on the roof rack. I might leave them on there if there's no room in the team trailer. I have the rails locked to the roof, the trays locked to the rails, and the bikes locked to the tray. Are they more a deterrent than real safety? Any thoughts? Am I asking for the bikes (or the rack) to be stolen someday?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The locks work fine, but they are just a deterrent. If someone wants the bikes bad enough they will get them.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i always use supplementary locks as well. if it looks like you mean it most likely they will go some where else. really though all locks like that others have and are going to say are just deterrents. most can be defeated in less than 5 mins be an armature

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nothing short of a New York Chain will keep your bikes out of the hands of determined thieves. And then only for a few minutes.

Thule locks are meaningless for anything more than running into 7-11 with the bike in full view.

Cable locks can be cut by hand in less than 15 seconds.

If your car is parked for more than 5-10 minutes, bring the bikes with you.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The best idea I've seen was at Sea Otter last year when I guy ran a few Kryptonite cables w/locks from his bike down to the rims of his car :)

But like people said, cables can be cut so that is still not 100% theft-proof.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thule locks are meaningless for anything more than running into 7-11 with the bike in full view.

Cable locks can be cut by hand in less than 15 seconds.

If your car is parked for more than 5-10 minutes, bring the bikes with you.

What he said. Don't risk it. And don't even think about leaving them on your roof overnight.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I broke the my key off in my roof rack (Yakima King Cobra) as I was trying to unlock my bike to ride. and since I didn't have a spare I dug through the back of my jeep and found a garden shear. it cut through the lock in about 5 seconds. those things are absolutely useless.

FWIW I had my TBC double stolen last week. someone cut the cable lock in broad daylight, in front of one of the busiest buildings on campus, while I was inside for less than 45 minutes. No one saw a thing and I am without that bike now.

Kyle,

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
When I worked at a shop I used to show customers how quickly I could cut through a cable lock with a small pair of cable shears. Not big shears, just the small ones used to cut brake and derailleur cables.
You just use them to chew through a thick cable in a few snips.

1/2" cable takes less than 5 seconds.

Snip - snip - snip... bye bye bike. Cable locks are essentially USELESS.

The best deterrent is a combo of two or more different types of locks. (example: u-lock AND chain)

If a thief needs to take the time to bust out more than one tool to get the bike, they will think twice and possible move to an easier target.

BUT - if you give a thief enough time, and it doesn't take much, they WILL get your bike. Locking a bike to a car rack and leaving it overnight is pretty much like not locking it at all. Best way to keep the bike is keep the bike inside with you.