Quantcast

thunderdome skatepark?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i remember reading about a skatepark in oly being built by taj mihelch(sp?)

it was called the thunderdome....

anyone know if its open or still around?

jonikl

Chimp
Apr 6, 2002
richmond bc
thunderdome was at least 3 years ago, it was built then the earthquake hit, ruined the building and now it;'s a restaurant

taj and nate wessel designed it.
NW rampbuilders built it.

You can see taj riding the thunderdome in the opening clips in the etnies forward video.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
:(

R.I.P thunderdome. The week before it was to open we had that earthquake which caused some pretty major damage to the old brick building the park was in. The building has since been renovated and is now a lame ol resaurant. Taj also no longer lives localy so Oly's parks are now limited to two skateboard only parks (one indoor, one outdoor). It was a sad day, I remember checking the joint out like a week before the earthquake and was stoked on it opening. You can see some pics of it here and some video of it in Etnies Forward. There have been some rumors of making a new thunderdome in Tacoma, but I haven't really asked about the status of that lately so I don't know if that's still even a possibility.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
yeah, sleestak is another good resource...just don't tell em you ride bikes;) :rolleyes:

there's also a number of 'non-public' ramps and such that are built for bikes and super fun:)

skatebarn...meh, its alright. It's good sized but doesn't have much flow. It's real back and forth style. But if you're down with some good sized spines it's fun (my skills are not spine friendly at this time)

do you ride mtb or bmx, or both?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i ride a kona roast, but i pretend its a big bmx bike most of the time. Lots of dirtjumping and street riding. There arent many good parks in eastern washington, so i dont have much park experience. But it looks like fun. i'm willing to ride any park i can find.

:D

edit: lately i've been thinking about building up a bmx bike again. i miss them little wheels.