Quantcast

Thursday, Schmursday

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I feel attacked.
@stoney is noticeably silent re this. oh, good luck on your test, btw :D
This time around we're going to go with something (mostly) hail-proof. Stone-coated steel or tile or similar. Cost of doing business out here, as you said. My buddy in the insurance industry said he gets a dedicated 30% discount on his insurance for stone-coated steel. Which, with the way insurance rates are going, makes the cost of that type of roof far easier to stomach.
is this different than a standing seam steel roof? because that is what I covet, not knowing much about these things

/me is staffing the fluoroscopy service today. should be a chill day.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Friggin' rainfall warning this morning for the town near the steep as fark trails near Georgian Bay. I guess no riding there again this weekend. Really wanted to do a few laps in prep for BC and to help break in these brand new knee pads that I have. Oh well.

Dinner with one of our hardware vendors tonight. Mehhhhhhh. I'd rather go home and relax.
1689260655626.png

They just issued a tornado watch out here. and I dropped my kids off at canoe camp earlier today. open water, thunderstorms and tornados aren't a good mix. wondering if I should go pick them up early before high winds pick up... looks like the front will hit at around 14:00... I don't want to be driving in that shit.

or, you know, it might be nothing caus' Environment Canada seems to be trigger happy with their warnings. :disgust:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
View attachment 196989
They just issued a tornado watch out here. and I dropped my kids off at canoe camp earlier today. open water, thunderstorms and tornados aren't a good mix. wondering if I should go pick them up early before high winds pick up... looks like the front will hit at around 14:00... I don't want to be driving in that shit.

or, you know, it might be nothing caus' Environment Canada seems to be trigger happy with their warnings. :disgust:
Tornado on a lake builds character.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@stoney is noticeably silent re this. oh, good luck on your test, btw :D

is this different than a standing seam steel roof? because that is what I covet, not knowing much about these things

/me is staffing the fluoroscopy service today. should be a chill day.
Stone coated tile:
stone-coated-steel-roof.jpg

Standing seam:
clicklock-standing-seam.jpg

They'll both do decently resisting hail damage, stone coated tile would likely look better after though.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This time around we're going to go with something (mostly) hail-proof. Stone-coated steel or tile or similar. Cost of doing business out here, as you said. My buddy in the insurance industry said he gets a dedicated 30% discount on his insurance for stone-coated steel. Which, with the way insurance rates are going, makes the cost of that type of roof far easier to stomach.
We need to figure out the limits of what we can do for roofing per the hoa, but we'll probably switch to synthetic stone shingles. High impact resistance and fire protection, which are the two primary perils in CO right now. I'm confirming with State Farm right now what that does to the premium and deductible, but I think we'll be making that conversion if we can. Sadly the idea of even doubling our deductible will have negligible impact on premiums because the probability of a storm or fire. Madness I say. Madness!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
View attachment 196989

Stay safe!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Tornado on a lake builds character.
like doing burpees?! paddle faster if you want to live!

according to weather network projections, the storms will pass by 3...
1689261658970.png

it also looks like they have a solid clubhouse to hunker down in...
1689261785527.png

I think I'll just let them build their character!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 196989

If it's a watch they might be okay...but I guess that can always escalate.

Is that the Environment Canada app? I like it and the warnings are pretty accurate around here. The only thing I dislike about the app is when you search for a location, it gets added to your list of places. So when a big storm, smoke or something common to them all rolls through, my phone goes crazy with notifications from all the different locations.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
State Farm just got back to me - over 30% for the impact resistant roof. That's huge. I need to look at the opportunity cost, but that's a probably.

Edit: And this will also mean less roofing cycles with asphalt based tiles. I think that will actually be a win-win. Just gotta see how the solar install will work with them.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just keep driving past. Cornwall might be one of the most boring places in Canada.

Right after Windsor.
In college it was kind of tradition to drive across the border to Cornwall to drink legally if you weren't 21 yet. Made our filthy and depressing college town seem like a cultured metropolis.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If it's a watch they might be okay...but I guess that can always escalate.

Is that the Environment Canada app? I like it and the warnings are pretty accurate around here. The only thing I dislike about the app is when you search for a location, it gets added to your list of places. So when a big storm, smoke or something common to them all rolls through, my phone goes crazy with notifications from all the different locations.
the warning was from Environment Canada, that screenshot of the radar is off the Weather Network site. Ironically, TWN uses EC data, they just interpret it in their own way. And have fancy things like projections for the next few hours.

I hate that about EC's weather app too. it's a pain. I might just write to them about it...

In college it was kind of tradition to drive across the border to Cornwall to drink legally if you weren't 21 yet. Made our filthy and depressing college town seem like a cultured metropolis.
Potsdam?

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I rode my bike this morning and managed to pull the first tick in 15+years off my sock. WeatherMonkey says rain now looks eminent. Stay frosty friends.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
that's an... interesting [?] place in the summer when there's no students around. when I bought my last bike I had it shipped to a UPS store stateside and had planned to ride a bit and spend the night at a campground. Turns out I couldn't build it with the tools at my disposal, so went to Potsdam to try and find a shop that could help me out. They couldn't. Not wanting to go home same day (for customs duty, and having secured a night off from baby duty), I spent the afternoon at a bar (McDuffs). Very interesting. Was propositioned a couple of times... Maybe in another life (or like 18 months prior), I might have entertained the notion... but nope. went back to my campsite and spent the night getting hammered watching my fire.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that's an... interesting [?] place in the summer when there's no students around. when I bought my last bike I had it shipped to a UPS store stateside and had planned to ride a bit and spend the night at a campground. Turns out I couldn't build it with the tools at my disposal, so went to Potsdam to try and find a shop that could help me out. They couldn't. Not wanting to go home same day (for customs duty, and having secured a night off from baby duty), I spent the afternoon at a bar (McDuffs). Very interesting. Was propositioned a couple of times... Maybe in another life (or like 18 months prior), I might have entertained the notion... but nope. went back to my campsite and spent the night getting hammered watching my fire.
Rather than try to get an internship I spent the summer before my Sr year being a bum before heading into the real world. Spent a lot of time at McDuffs.

Oh the stories I have from that summer.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Well, Jeep issues should be finalized by Monday and back on the road.

The new Eaton e locker put the spider gears directly center in the new Dana advantek 44 differential housing thus making stock axles useless since the lengths have to be changed. Usually a Dana 44 housings will have a long passenger and short driver side shafts. But now the new carrier has 3” of spline engagements centered on each side so custom cut to fit shafts have been ordered. Was able to determine that Yukon has a chromoly 4340 upgrade shaft that has cut to fit 32 splines ends I had to order two right hand sides

this actually works better since I only have to carry one spare for both sides rather than a long and short for trail fixes.

IMG_1921.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

In order to at least get the Jeep driving I had a local machine shop turn down the ends, chamfer and run the splines back 3” to at least get the Jeep off the rack and moving, Cut down axle (top) without splined back, stock axle bottom.

IMG_1914.jpeg

Other than the original problem was the original gearing job was out of spec for backlash and pinion depth the replacement locker was the major change. Old locker is left (upside down) new locker right

IMG_1910.jpeg

At this point I know more than any dealer in the country due to they simply replace the whole rear and or complete axle assemblies rather than working on them. Thus I have acquired all the tools and specialized items to do all of this work myself trailside if need since I am all aftermarket drivetrain now. Only stock housings.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think my study FTS is about capped. A couple equations to go over in the morning, video to listen to tonight, but otherwise, I'm not getting any smarter today. Time to make my lunch for tomorrow and get the last of my pre-trip errands done.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
:wave:
got some stuff done at work that needed doing. came home early to hang with 13yo and kitten. got a better pic of the fuzzball. ribs feeling a bit better. hope to get a ride in soon.
1689285724240.jpeg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Why hello there. Work has been kicking my ass, but in a stress free, gotta read a ton of shit so as to be slightly less dumb sort of way. New company did take the entire engineering department to lunch to welcome me to the team, that's a good sign because I think they give a shit about their people, I got free Thai food, and we're hiring a few more electrical engineers and some programmers that fall under the engineering department, so I think I get free Thai food at least 4 more times in the near future.

Did I miss anything of value in my absence from teh Monkey?