Quantcast

*Thursday WTFU GMT*

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@jstuhlman thanks man. I'll live and am already tackling the bong brew shed.

I'll be going full enderpo and picking up a TLD helmet tomorrow. I've broken two of those Urge helmets this year, maybe its just bad ju ju.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tonight's ride was fantastic, right up until I broke my helmet.

And this time it wasn't my fault. I got clotheslined in neck/face by a black climbing rope tied across the trail. I honestly had no clue what the fuck hit me, scariest thing to ever happen to me on a bike.

Said rope grabbed onto my helmet and ripped it right off my head. Thing is done and my neck is sore...

Found another rope about 30 feet down the trail, too.

I'm the most laid back and easy going dude, but this has me absolutely fuming. If I or anyone else had been going any faster, shit would have been BAD.

Fuck.
Well shit. Glad you are OK. I've heard about assholes pulling stunts like this but I've never seen it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Swapped out the new stem today - 1/2 the size, twice the weight. Meh, I'll live. I may want to push the seat back a bit.
View media item 2871
Also looking for 2 old school Thomson Elite 5 degree 25.4 X 70 black stems in good, serviceable condition.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That sucks, canadmos. Head trip as much as anything else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's seriously messed up. I've heard of it happening around Toronto before, but have never witnessed it in person. I have never yelled fuck so many times, as loud as I could. It was like hitting an invisible wall, I thought a tree fell down or something right as I was passing.

@jonKranked @Nick already called the Canaderp policia. They won't do shit, because it is on conservation area land. I have to call the conservation authority officers in the morning. I already left them a message.

Its been probably 1.5 hours since it happened and man, did the helmet strap ever yank on my throat. It feels like I have a ping pong bong lodged in my neck.

But seriously, how can I ever ride those trails again and not worry about that happening? I think I posted about finding a big rope across another trail a month or two ago on here and kinda joked about it, as it was on a wide open double track trail. Shit aint no joke now, I guess.

Wow. Hard to believe the Po-Po will not get involved, attempted assault/homicide IMO. I'd recommend seeing if other local riders would donate some $$$ and critter cam the fuck out of that area. Hide them well so they can't be stolen. Perhaps leave one or two in the open to let people know they are being watched.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wow. Hard to believe the Po-Po will not get involved, attempted assault/homicide IMO. I'd recommend seeing if other local riders would donate some $$$ and critter cam the fuck out of that area. Hide them well so they can't be stolen. Perhaps leave one or two in the open to let people know they are being watched.
The officer I spoke to on the phone last night didn't even sound interested, it was a little disappointing considering I was just injured (even if minor) by someone's deliberate actions.

Critter cam might not be a bad idea...

The worst and most saddening part is that these are my local trails, trails that have been around for at least 30 years. And they are great trails, never had any conflict with any hikers or dog walkers before.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Critter cam might not be a bad idea.
critter cam is a great idea. some dudes in washington (or maybe somewhere in western CA) were able to catch the people stringing up wires on their local trail. that was the evidence that took them to trial and got them convicted. now they're in jail.

Do it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Tonight's ride was fantastic, right up until I broke my helmet.

And this time it wasn't my fault. I got clotheslined in neck/face by a black climbing rope tied across the trail. I honestly had no clue what the fuck hit me, scariest thing to ever happen to me on a bike.

Said rope grabbed onto my helmet and ripped it right off my head. Thing is done and my neck is sore...

Found another rope about 30 feet down the trail, too.

I'm the most laid back and easy going dude, but this has me absolutely fuming. If I or anyone else had been going any faster, shit would have been BAD.

Fuck.
It's been happening around here too. People suck. Glad you're okay man.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Short stems are the way to go. I've a 35mm on my bike and I don't think I could ever go back to anything longer.
The officer I spoke to on the phone last night didn't even sound interested, it was a little disappointing considering I was just injured (even if minor) by someone's deliberate actions.

The worst and most saddening part is that these are my local trails, trails that have been around for at least 30 years. And they are great trails, never had any conflict with any hikers or dog walkers before.
Guy in VA constantly harassed bikers at a certain trail off of Shenandoah National Park, including traps. People constantly complained but nothing was done until he pulled a gun on a group, one step away from a mass shooting.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Guy in VA constantly harassed bikers at a certain trail off of Shenandoah National Park, including traps. People constantly complained but nothing was done until he pulled a gun on a group, one step away from a mass shooting.
Jesus.

The hell is wrong with people these days, eh?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

man, that's really dissapointing. glad to hear you're ok, but that shit is scary. I hope the conservation authority follows up more thoroughly... point them to the Tineke Kraal material on NSMB maybe? wtf is wrong with people?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
man, that's really dissapointing. glad to hear you're ok, but that shit is scary. I hope the conservation authority follows up more thoroughly... point them to the Tineke Kraal material on NSMB maybe? wtf is wrong with people?
Just got off the phone with someone from the conservation place. Apparently some of these trails aren't open to the public, even though its owned by Toronto Region Conservation.....because they sometimes have kids on the property. What the hell, who cares about kids. Friggin' soccer moms.

So we've go public trails going along side private trails, that place is a mess. Why can't we all just share the forest. :banghead:

They are going to go look for the spots, I sent them a picture with the GPS coordinates.

I want to catch the asshat.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just got off the phone with someone from the conservation place. Apparently some of these trails aren't open to the public, even though its owned by Toronto Region Conservation.....because they sometimes have kids on the property. What the hell, who cares about kids. Friggin' soccer moms.

So we've go public trails going along side private trails, that place is a mess. Why can't we all just share the forest. :banghead:

They are going to go look for the spots, I sent them a picture with the GPS coordinates.

I want to catch the asshat.
The last 2 times I went for a ride in Canada. I was yelled at by Old Lady's. Once in the Don Valley trails. And once in Waterdown.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's seriously messed up. I've heard of it happening around Toronto before, but have never witnessed it in person. I have never yelled fuck so many times, as loud as I could. It was like hitting an invisible wall, I thought a tree fell down or something right as I was passing.

@jonKranked @Nick already called the Canaderp policia. They won't do shit, because it is on conservation area land. I have to call the conservation authority officers in the morning. I already left them a message.

Its been probably 1.5 hours since it happened and man, did the helmet strap ever yank on my throat. It feels like I have a ping pong bong lodged in my neck.

But seriously, how can I ever ride those trails again and not worry about that happening? I think I posted about finding a big rope across another trail a month or two ago on here and kinda joked about it, as it was on a wide open double track trail. Shit aint no joke now, I guess.
Mike Vandeman aka. "the trail nazi". Has he moved to the Canuckistan?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
With his record? I doubt the Mounties would let him in.
I hate that man. I had more than a few run-ins with him and my old roommate was one of the guys assaulted that led to the charges. I saw him throw and hit a friend's girlfriend with a pine cone (uphill, couldn't catch him), come across what was effectively punji stakes on trail, jumped into rope/wires tied across the trail, and piles of rocks placed in blind landings. These were all him, because all the booby traps stopped once he was arrested.

I'm glad he was fired from the UC and lost his tenure. Ruined his own life, despite his blame of the cyclists.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I hate that man. I had more than a few run-ins with him and my old roommate was one of the guys assaulted that led to the charges. I saw him throw and hit a friend's girlfriend with a pine cone (uphill, couldn't catch him), come across what was effectively punji stakes on trail, jumped into rope/wires tied across the trail, and piles of rocks placed in blind landings. These were all him, because all the booby traps stopped once he was arrested.

I'm glad he was fired from the UC and lost his tenure. Ruined his own life, despite his blame of the cyclists.
Yah - that guy was/is a kook of the highest order. I can remember he was on the warpath even back in the early 90's on Usenet. He was completely unstable...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Christ almighty.