Quantcast

Ti spring on RC4?

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Ive noticed that the piggy back on the new RC4 is bigger than the dhx models. I am wondering which brands of ti springs (dsp, obtanium, renton, nuke proof, etc) will fit on the new RC4. Ive tryed searchng the forums already without much luck.

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
probly a shot in the dark but, anyone know the max spring O.D. that will fit on the rc4?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I've heard that with MOAR SHIMZ you can run a Manitou Ti spring on a DHX or RC4 up to about 550lbs without rubbing issues, they can be had on the cheap here. Thinking of ordering one myself for the DHX, the ID of the spring is slightly larger, (1.43 insted of 1.38) but they are the same size as the DSP springs (some even argue they are the same spring). Pretty good thread over on emptybeer on this matter...
link
As for the SHIMZ I'm going to run a rubber o ring on the top preload collar, and a piece of sanded down 1-1/4 flanged abs pipe on the bottom to keep it centered on the shock body.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Does anyone know if a 1.5 ID spring (Romic, RS) will clear the resy on an RC4?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I couldn't say for sure but my guess would no. I was having trouble with a Manitou spring rubbing the resi and it had an I.D. of 1.43" but give er and let us know how it works out. You may be able to find a way to offset the spring a bit to get it further away from the resi.

I may be mistaken but I think that the springs obtanium sells are 1.5" I.D. and they sell different collars to adapt the spring for different shocks. That may be worth looking into as well.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The collar I use puts the spring dead centered on the shock and doesn't let it float at all.

Also this would be a Ti spring. I don't know if the coil thicknesses vary much between Ti and steel springs of the same rate and ID.

Nov 16, 2007
I've heard that with MOAR SHIMZ you can run a Manitou Ti spring on a DHX or RC4 up to about 550lbs without rubbing issues, they can be had on the cheap here. Thinking of ordering one myself for the DHX, the ID of the spring is slightly larger, (1.43 insted of 1.38) but they are the same size as the DSP springs (some even argue they are the same spring). Pretty good thread over on emptybeer on this matter...
link
As for the SHIMZ I'm going to run a rubber o ring on the top preload collar, and a piece of sanded down 1-1/4 flanged abs pipe on the bottom to keep it centered on the shock body.
I ride a Socom with the DHX 5.0 and was checking this out for my bike. The Socom uses a 3.25" spring (that's Fox language for 3.00" correct?)...would this Manitou Ti 2.76x400 fit???

I understand the shim requirement so that it doesn't rub, I'm moreso asking if this is the correct length for my set-up.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I ride a Socom with the DHX 5.0 and was checking this out for my bike. The Socom uses a 3.25" spring (that's Fox language for 3.00" correct?)...would this Manitou Ti 2.76x400 fit???

I understand the shim requirement so that it doesn't rub, I'm moreso asking if this is the correct length for my set-up.
What is the stroke of your shock, I am not familiar w/the specifics of the Socom. If the stroke is 3" then you need a spring that is longer, hence the 3.25" that came spec'd. If this is indeed the case, then no, the 2.76" will be too short and you will end up with binding.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Perfect. I assume those are the 1.5" ID thrust bearings too? I'll be using basically the same setup.

Just gotta verify that the OD's are about the same for a Romic Ti spring and a DSP. What rate is yours?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Perfect. I assume those are the 1.5" ID thrust bearings too? I'll be using basically the same setup.

Just gotta verify that the OD's are about the same for a Romic Ti spring and a DSP. What rate is yours?
They are the 35mm ID with a 52mm OD and 2x 1mm thrust washer. The 35mm ID fits perfectly on the lip of Fox preload collar and everything stays centered.

My spring rate is 300#/inch.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I made my own aluminum centralizers with an extra long skirt that centers up the 1.5" thrust bearings and the spring. The OD of those thrust bearings is 2.1875" compared to yours at 2.047". The OD on mine is almost dead on with that of the spring OD. Can you tell how much reservoir clearance there is with your setup? That difference in OD's means 0.070" difference in clearance.