Quantcast

Ti spring question

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
I recently purchased a RCS Ti spring for my 2.5 stroke Manitou Swinger. Deal is the RCS spring is 5.3 inches long compared to the stock Manitou steel spring at 5.7 inches long. Is this normal for Ti springs to be shorter? It feels good but just looks a little odd to me.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm not sure what I have to say has any value but different manufactures use different length coils for the same stroke. I know Avy steel coils are longer compared to Romic by almost a half inch but they're for the same stroke. As long as RCS gave you the right stroke coil, you should be ok.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
What rate is the spring suppose to be?That sounds correct for a 400/450.If you don't have enough threads on the shock body to tighten the collar or preload the spring you will need the spacer.Your dealer should be able to get it thru BTI.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The actual spring length doesnt matter. What matters is the spacing between coils for your particular shock stroke. You can get away with a much shorter spring with ti, as the coils are muich further apart.

As long as they are far enough apart to prevent coil bind, all is well. You may need a spacer as some have mentioned however, otherwise the threads may stop and the lock ring may not be able to apply sufficient (if any) pressure to the coil.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
That's it
I was running a RCS Ti spring on 5th my Sunday for awhile
and had to run 2 spacers between the spring and collar
as i didn't have enough threads on the preload collar
to apply proper preload

If you have enough threads for your preload collar
you won't need the spacers

cheers