Quantcast

TI spring tends to come loose

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Hi There,

been using multiple different springs (both steel and titanium ones) over they years without any issues.

Last weekend I put a new Ti spring on my Cane Creek DB shock (with one full turn of preload). After the first run the spring became loose. Fixed it and it became loose again. Then I went up to two turns of preload + some tape on the preload collar and it worked so far.

Has anyone expirienced somethiing similiar/ what could be the reason?

Cheers

MK

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No idea why, but I had a Vanilla RC back in the day and that pre-load spring collar would back off every once in a while. I put a dab of blue loctite on the shock threads to fix the issue.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Had the same problem with the spring i bought from Ti springs.com. Solved it by filing down the inside of the last coils on the spring. They wouldnt even slide with some force over the collars.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Likely the spring is taking its initial "set" and losing a couple mm of length.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Thanx for the ideas guys - I think I found the reason, the spring is far away from being straight - therefore it needs more preload to keep in place.

Will send it bake to the shop!

Cheers

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
your spring isnt straight?? is this a common occurrence with ti springs? i dont think ive heard of that before.

Last edited: