Quantcast

Ti Springs again

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Okay,
I have looked around. For those who own a 2001 to 2003 Dorado, it looks like I can get progressive rate Ti springs for about 95 -100 USD each. A linear rate might be a bit cheaper.
Is anyone interested?

Later

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
So far I have looked at an 80 lb spring that ramps to 120 in the last portion of it's travel. The stock springs are 60 lbs for the soft, 80 for the med, and 100 for the firm. Extra firm is 120.

I haven't yet looked into any other forks. If this works out with the Dorado's I will be also figuring something out for Bombers and Boxxers.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Yes, Im interested.

Also looking at the possibilty of modifying Ti springs from a Sherman firefly as well but not sure if this can be done. I have one on the way to compare with the Dorado springs. I will let you know if it can be done.

Firefly springs can be had for about $30 each.

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Originally posted by DIRTWRKS
Yes, Im interested.

Also looking at the possibilty of modifying Ti springs from a Sherman firefly as well but not sure if this can be done. I have one on the way to compare with the Dorado springs. I will let you know if it can be done.

Firefly springs can be had for about $30 each.
You would have to order two and modify one. Also find a way to mount them together. Make sure you get the effective travel, don't want to bottom out the spring before the damper. But for 30 bucks it's a worthwhile experiment.

Z1's possibly later. First, Dorado's because I own one.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
For anyone interested, I got the Sherman Firefly spring that I was going to modify for use with my Dorado. It was slightly larger in Diameter by about 2mm and around 2.5" longer so I thought I would cut down a stock Dorado spring to mate with the Firefly one. That's when I noticed that the Firefly spring really did not feel any lighter that the Steel Dorado springs I had.

A check with a magnet confirmed my suspicion that these are steel and not Ti !!

A quick email to Manitou customer service and their reply was that the Soft Spring that I ordered was indeed made of steel and only the normal and Firm springs are actually made of Ti, what a
bummer , got to find a Med spring now.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
I am also intrested in this.
I currently run one soft and one firm spring, this give a bit of a rising rate and seems ok so the spring rates you are talking about could be a bit harsh for me, maby not. I have also heard that you have to go a bit stiffer with Ti (Is this true or not?)

Also what is the weight saving you are talking about with this mod?

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
I run a med and an extra heavy. I had a heavy in there instead of the med. That was too stiff.
I am not sure about the wieght savings yet. I am sure it will be a decent amount as you are replacing steel with ti. I think a fairly safe figure to go with is about 1/3 the wieght of steel. Can anyone qualify this?
Wiegh your steel springs and divide that by 3. That should be a rough estimate.
I, yesterday, sent a set of my spare springs to the manufacturer I have been speaking with, so they can do some testing.
As for running heavier spring rates with Ti, well a spring rate is a spring rate whether the coil is made of Ti, Steel, Aluminium or Inkonel.
What Ti will do is allow you larger spring rates out of the same coil size as steel.

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Yep,
Ti is 61% the wieght of steel per volume. In spring applications, because of it ability to flex farther without deformation, fewer coils can be used. A Ti spring over a steel spring can be 50% the wieght.
Just found that one out.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Not sure about forksprings but, on rear springs they are made out of thicker tread. Take a look on Avalanche website, there are listings on weights. Steel vs Ti.

E

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
Any more news on these yet?
Will you be gettting only one spring weight made up or can you chose?
You say you run one Med one extra firm, that would definatly be to hard for me.
If you can get them in the equivalent of one soft one firm then I would be very intrested, especially at the price you said

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
No Word yet. I just sent a spare set to the manufacturer for testing. That was mid last week, they probably only just recieved them friday or will recieve them monday.

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Okay, The tests are complete. This can be done. I originally was looking to replace the two springs with one, after speaking with the engineer, well that idea was tossed out. The price has yet to be officially announced. But it will be around what I initially stated. The spring rates will reain the same as Manitou's spec(60,80,100,120) only difference will be wieght and the spring characteristics.

Here is a graph of an 80 stacked on a 100(red on a yellow).

Attachments