Quantcast

Tiger Question

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
select the file with the extension in question. File -> Get Info or apple-I to bring up the get info window. select different app under Open With. click Change All if you wish to change all.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Toshi said:
select the file with the extension in question. File -> Get Info or apple-I to bring up the get info window. select different app under Open With. click Change All if you wish to change all.
Aha. Not that it matters, but there is no central interface for managing extensions?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
Aha. Not that it matters, but there is no central interface for managing extensions?
nope. apple has always been very file-centric, no big central apps. internet explorer's ugly centralized MIME and file type handling/mangling preference tab was a thorn in the side of that philosophy for a long time, so it's good that everyone's moved on to safari (or firefox or camino)...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ridemonkey said:
Thanks Toshi. One more question. What is the best method for unistalling an app in OSX?
The app has to come with an installer/uninstaller. Many still don't.

I haven't made time to do my clean install of Tiger. Any problems Toshi? (or others).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
Thanks Toshi. One more question. What is the best method for unistalling an app in OSX?
just drag it from applications to the trash, +/- deleting its preferences from within your user folder (~): ~/Library/Preferences. some apps might also deposit some junk with their name within ~/Library or ~/Library/Application Support

and i have not encountered any problems with Tiger, other than an initial driver issue (my fault for running a 3rd party ethernet card since my onboard ethernet died a year or two back) and a weird bug with the keyboard shortcuts and switching between japanese and english input methods. Safari RSS is the bomb, and has cut out a huge deal of daily site checking.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Would you recommend upgrading now, or wait for the next version? I'm always hesitant to beta new software, especially an OS......but I want the new PhotoShop also.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
spincrazy said:
Would you recommend upgrading now, or wait for the next version? I'm always hesitant to beta new software, especially an OS......but I want the new PhotoShop also.......
10.4.1 is out, and the other people that i know that have been running it have also not been having any problems. it seems like a solid release.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
How much RAM do you run Tiger on?? I'm kind of hesitant running it on my Ibook with 256 of RAM on it...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
buy more ram! then tiger. go to 1 GB if you can spring for it.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
10.4.1 has been rock solid for me. I am looking forward to the first round of updates to Spotlight though...as it is now I can't really find a use for it. I've been playing with smart folders, and I see a lot of promise there, but even they don't perform how I was hoping they would.

iCal 2.0, AddressBook 4, and Mail 2.0 are a pretty sweet combo though. I've now officially moved all my communications, and planning away from the PC (something I wasn't comfortable doing with Entourage).

But the number one advancement to my system recently is Quicksilver. The sweetest freakin' launcher I've seen. It makes it so quick and easy to launch apps that I've cleared out my once crammed dock altogether, so now only running apps appear down there. For someone who doesn't like clutter it's awesome - especially since it's faster to switch apps with the keyboard. It's free, check it out: http://quicksilver.blacktree.com

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, i agree that quicksilver is sweet. i paid for obdev.at's LaunchBar years ago so i've been enjoying that same functionality (at a price) for a while :)