Quantcast

Tightening a cassette lockring...

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
I have always done this without the use of a torque wrench, just an adjustable wrench. Now that I have a torque wrench and will be building up a new wheel, I want to tighten everything to spec.

My lockring tool doesn't fit a 3/8ths torque wrench, so, do I just use a very large socket on the torque wrench to fit over the lockring tool?

I don't know why I didnt check this out last night, but it is on my mind and thought I would ask. :)

I think the cassette lockring may be the last place where "spec torque" is required over "tight enough", but yes, you can "neck up" your wrench to fit the 5/8" (?) fitment in the lockring tool (mine is 1/4") or a mongo socket over the outside. If you use an adaptor, use a short one.

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
1. Insert lockring tool in bench vise.
2. Drop wheel onto tool.
3. Pretend you're a bus driver.
4. Make a left.
5. Secure to 22 foot-pounds. (11 pounds per hand.)

It's not rocket science...

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
Originally posted by Matt D
You're saying you know exactly how much 11 pounds per hand is? He knows how to tighten the lockring, just wants to use his torque wrench.
Sorry, yes I do, I've been doing it for many years. I've seen too many rear wheels with loose lockrings, causing rr der limits to be unreliable.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Mecannoman
1. Insert lockring tool in bench vise.
2. Drop wheel onto tool.
3. Pretend you're a bus driver.
4. Make a left.
5. Secure to 22 foot-pounds. (11 pounds per hand.)

It's not rocket science...
Uh.....

Number 4?

Someone tell the bus driver he's going the WRONG WAY!

:rolleyes:

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Uh.....

Number 4?

Someone tell the bus driver he's going the WRONG WAY!

:rolleyes:
The tool is upside-down, so turning the wheel to the left means you're turning the tool to the right. Isn't that correct after all?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Phreaddy
The tool is upside-down, so turning the wheel to the left means you're turning the tool to the right. Isn't that correct after all?
nope. still backwards.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by Matt D
You're saying you know exactly how much 11 pounds per hand is?

He knows how to tighten the lockring, just wants to use his torque wrench.
Thanks Matt.

Thing is my lock ring tool has a round hole through it, so I can't use any sort of wrench size adaptor. As you noted, I just want to torque it to spec and the only way for me to do so, short of buying a new lockring tool is to use a "mongo" socket to fit over it.

I guess it will just have to be "tight enough". When I took the lockring off it wasn't on there very tight even though when I tightened it on I thought it was "tight enough".

I suppose my idea of "tight enough" differs from the others here.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
no problem triphop,

We do have a "mongo" socket for our cassette tools, but they fit VERY tightly. So tight we generally just leave them together as one piece.

I'm not sure if i've ever seen an adjustable wrench attachment for a torque wrench. It could come in handy.

Let me know if you track one down,
Matt

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
If you are thinking about paying for a big socket why not just buy a lockring tool that accepts a 3/8 ratchet, Stein makes a real nice one.
There are crowfoot open end wrench heads that have 3/8,1/2 squares in them to accept a ratchet, they are not adjustable tho. They also will affect the torque wrench accuracy because they make the torque arm a little longer.