Quantcast

Tignes bike park - any experience?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Has anyone been in Tignes bike park? Supposedly if you buy accomodation there the bike park pass is FREE. Still don't belive it but it may convince my cheap friends to move their asses and visit some place abroad.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I went for a day about 6 years ago, so take this for what you will, as I'm sure a lot has changed since then. They had some really steep terrain. Some of the trails were, um, interesting. Think high speed straight sections ending in 90 degree hairpins with ~100' drops on the outside, and minimal warnings. I remember it all being pretty much out in the open, so not too much technical stuff, but lots of high speed singletrack. They had also had a go at building a slopestyle/freeride area that had some fun stuff to play on, and definitely had some potential. Seemed like a cool town. A nice lake to hang out at after riding etc.

It might be worth knowing that les Arcs and Meribel (les trois vallees) are both within driving distance. Certainly, back when I was there, both of these offered a better riding experience than Tignes, and would be worth checking out.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know about those but supposedly this year they connect to Val D'Isere and they host a WC this season. Also if I was to pay for a lift ticket I'd just go back to PDS/Morzine. The whole area is amazing, quite cheap and Ben's trails in Morgins are amazing. I'm only curious because half of my friends this season got married, had kids or wasted their money on other things I do not support ;) Now I either find something cheap or I will have to go one some organized bike camp or just go alone which will mean high costs and a worse overall experience.

Also what you say seems a bit typical of French trails. I hope they changed it.

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
I know they spent a lot of money revamping Tignes a couple of years ago. And this is the last summer they're offering free passes too. I also reckon you can camp and ride for free, so that frees up some cash. But, I havn't been, so I can't comment on the trails.... Are there any good helmet cams on youtube?

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
Also, would be pretty cool to ride the world cup track in Val D'Isere. and you can take the road down to the lowest part of Tignes and get the lift from there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If there is a good snowpark there (and I've heard there is) it's an awesome option though I'm not sure we can fit 4 bikes and 4 snowboards into 1 small car.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The best acomodation prices are early july (200 eur for a 4 person apartment for a week !!!) but it all depends on my friends. I need to convince them and I just got the idea. I will give you a message when they decide what to do. For the price I'm certain I'm going though I'd also like to visit Morzine again this year.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Please review the place since Im not sure if I will be able to visit since my friends are either without cash this season or belive a 20h car trip is too long. Still have hope but the chances are small