Quantcast

Timberline is building up fast!

Nubster

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Never been there but I don't live too far away. Just wondering, are there XC trails too or is the place catered more to the free riders and DH crowd? I am a newb to riding and spend most of my riding time in VA or over in Davis.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Lift pass all day is $21, $14 for half day, $7 for one ride up OR help build for a few hours and ride for free (work hard, bring ideas or tools and get a free food pass).

Lodging: Hotel at base of lift = $80, four person?
Bunk house= $16/night
Slope side vacation homes= call
great camping= free and close

There are all sorts of places to rent/stay, lodging is abundant and so are the choices of food and entertainment.
Timberline pub is the best, on site, cheep and good. Bands and fun atmosphere.

Tline rocks, you just don't know it, yet.

Look forward to seeing you.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Never been there but I don't live too far away. Just wondering, are there XC trails too or is the place catered more to the free riders and DH crowd? I am a newb to riding and spend most of my riding time in VA or over in Davis.
PM sent

brainbckt

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
Heading to TLine on Saturday from Pittsburgh, meeting 2 WV buddies. From what I've read, lift opens at 10? Anyone know how flexible the lodge is on the 2 night requirement? We were planning a one nighter.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Heading to TLine on Saturday from Pittsburgh, meeting 2 WV buddies. From what I've read, lift opens at 10? Anyone know how flexible the lodge is on the 2 night requirement? We were planning a one nighter.

Brainbckt, I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think Timberline is open this weekend. Some kind of 4 wheeler race or something. This is from another thread:

Video is on the way of the Mid Station drop.

Timberline will not be open for DH Sturday Aug. 15

JR

JR is the manager up there, I'd check with him before you head out there.

brainbckt

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
AARGGH. Thanks, BigMike. Better to know now, than after arriving. TLine website is pretty short on details. Ah, well. Maybe we'll hit it in September.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
How late in the season will Tline be open? Aug is out, Sept I will be in Canada for a couple weeks, so Oct looks like the earlist I would be able hit up Tline or next year.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
As long as there isnt snow they will be open from what I understand. I know they want to stay open at least two weeks longer than the other mountains so people can have a place to ride and check out.
Adam

Bili

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Orange Va
Dude I am super stoked to get up there and check you guys out. I am riding one day at snowshoe and spending the weekend at Timberline with a bunch of friends for my birthday on the weekend of Oct 9-12. You guys planning on building any North Shore style stuff, i.e ladder bridges and such? I live about 3 hours away but if you ever want to dedicate some time to build some wooden structures I would be more then willing to drive up and camp out.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Dude I am super stoked to get up there and check you guys out. I am riding one day at snowshoe and spending the weekend at Timberline with a bunch of friends for my birthday on the weekend of Oct 9-12. You guys planning on building any North Shore style stuff, i.e ladder bridges and such? I live about 3 hours away but if you ever want to dedicate some time to build some wooden structures I would be more then willing to drive up and camp out.
Come on out, we have wood, places to build, camping on site, good food and fun bar.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I rode Timberline last Sunday for the first time. I was quite impressed with the whole operation and trail selection given they are relatively new to the game. We rode all day and didn't have to repeat too many runs, as it is possible to create lots of different trail combinations. The trails vary from rocky, rooty, and steep to flowy and some wide open fast sections. There are a few rock and wood features built up and a couple jumps strewn about. If I was to compare it to another place it is probably most similar to Plattekill. JR was kind enough to show us around since it can be a little challenging to find all the trails at first. If anyone is on the fence about checking this place out I would say do it, I had fun riding and the potential for more great trails is there as long as riders support it.

Here is a video teaser that my buddy put together.

JR thanks again for the tour, I hope to make it back again this season.

Justin

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Justin and friends,

Thank you for comming to Timberline to ride and the video is good to see.

JR

bmxpuck

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
richmond, va
i'm trying to get up to timberline this weekend. i'll be at snowshoe firday night/saturday and trying to head to timberline saturday night to ride sunday and maybe monday. if anyone is gonna be at timberline this weekend, send me a message. all my buddies that i normally ride at snowshoe with are all busy this weekend, so i'm gonna be riding solo. and since it's usually a lot more fun riding with other people, it'd be cool to find some people to meet up with.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend. but there will be some locals to show you around. Hopefully JR the head mountain ambassador can be your guide.

Nice vid, that pearly glades ATV track looks cool on the screen, and the Drift line carnage and steepness came out well.

Last edited:

Cychobiker

Chimp
Sep 7, 2009
Lancaster, Pa
Hey Guys! First time now long time. Just wanted to give my 2 cents for Timberline. Its f*ucking awesome!!! Not only are the trails mostly nature but that trail called Gnarnia(!) is the most intence trail to follow till it breaks right to follow the yellow. There are 2 drops (as of now) and one is natures way to say "Lemme open your eye's a little more.." and the other has a ladder ramp to a slight 2 foot rock ramp down to either a soon to be made transition to the left or a SICK drop to the right and the trail goes to right. The best part about this trail!?!?!?! Guy's. Its not finished!!! I mean there are other boulder rock drops to the right that I can see follows (and in my imagination) have a sick burm leading to the right then follow to yellow. Sick . Sick. Sick. Sick!!!! I love this mountain!!! I do have a crash cam of this but it was a bad idea to have it on me bars instead of me head. Its worth the 8 hours to and fro. JR you are the man! See you soon!

Last edited:

brainbckt

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
Hit Timberline for the first time this weekend with 2 buddies. A beautiful day and we were the only riders on the mountain. If you're considering going, definitely do so. A real diamond in the rough.

POSITIVES
-Great natural terrain (rocky, steep, etc.).
-A big selection of trails.
-Bike shop manager JR is an enthusiastic and accomodating host. He slipped out for a bit to show us some of the harder-to-find trails.
-Dirt cheap ($21 for the day).
-Reasonably priced food/beer at the on-site pub ($3.50 for a Newcastle, compared to $4.50 at Snowshoe).

DOWNSIDES
-If not staying in the bunkhouse for $16, rent a condo instead of the "hotel," which is overpriced for the offering.
-Lacks feature-heavy freeride or flowy A-Line/Missing Link offerings.
-Lift broke down for a couple of hours at the beginning of the day, but on the plus side, it's open 1.5 hrs later than Snowshoe and JR offered to comp us a couple of hours the next day.
-Lift is pretty slow, which cuts into riding time.

Overall, we left with a positive impression and will definitely be back next year. If they keep on their current pace, I think TLine will soon give Snowshoe a run for their money. If you haven't already, get out there for a day or two.