Quantcast

Time for a change

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
So this is a things in my life/spam thread....so if the spam part offends anyone, I'll remove it...just wanted to let the other mudhunnies out there know there's some stuff for sale that might fit them!

So anyway....after much deliberation, debate, agony (and admittedly some tears on my part) Freak and I have decided to scale back on DHing. With the closest real DH trails being Whistler, it's getting a bit tiresome to have to keep traveling so far each weekend in order to get our fix.....a few years of being gone 5-6 weekends in a row has finally caught up with us (damn...I sound old :p ) So we're selling off the DH bikes **spam part** which means if any of you gals are looking for a race ready bike, my baby Buffy (small Turner DHR with Fox 40 RC2) is in the Buy and Sell Forum under Freak's name. **end spam part** Definitely a tough decision because as those around me know, this season I finally found the "it" bike for me (and I looooove the new Fox fork :) )

We aren't given up mtbing completely, definitely keeping my xc bike and we're going to be building up a more all-around bike that will still let us hit Whistler if we want, but allow us some more freedom (maybe a Turner 6-pack...hmmmm) so you gals/guys aren't getting rid of us completely ;) We're also going to be getting some quads because I've got to get my adrenaline rush somehow and considering where we live, having a toy that's fun in the mud is very very appealing!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
While it's kind of sad to see you guys "hang it up", it's good to see you'll still be riding xc. I have always wondered how DH'ers do it...with having to shuttle and drive farther to get to quality stuff. Good luck and let's ride next time you're in Bend!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Wow...your leaving us (racing)! Although I totally understand. Ethan and I are very close to doing the same. We are really frustrated that there are so many good places to ride, but we can't ride there legally! It's hard to be competitive when you can't train. Dirt bikes may be in our future...but for now we will continue riding out dh bikes as much as we can, and ride our xc bikes faithfully! Make sure you let us know when you go for an xc ride! We'd love to ride with ya! :)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Well with a more "all around" bike that leaves the door open to race if we really want...definitely would still be a good bike for some of the WIM races.

We've struggled with the MX/Quad thing. We've had MX bikes and really really enjoyed 'em, but quads are so much damn fun too...it's a tough call.

And yes Heidi, we'll look you up next time we come down....maybe without being tied down so much on the weekends with training/racing we'll be able to head down there more....I'm dying to do the whoops trail again!!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Velocity Girl said:
And yes Heidi, we'll look you up next time we come down....maybe without being tied down so much on the weekends with training/racing we'll be able to head down there more....I'm dying to do the whoops trail again!!!
I just rode Whoops this past weekend - it's getting chopped up a bit with all the brake bumps. I'd like to do a Flagline, South Fork, Whoops combo ride again- it would be a long ride, but combining my favorite "downhill" trails. WOOOOHOOOO

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Velocity Girl said:
**spam part** which means if any of you gals are looking for a race ready bike, my baby Buffy (small Turner DHR with Fox 40 RC2) is in the Buy and Sell Forum under Freak's name. **end spam part** Definitely a tough decision because as those around me know, this season I finally found the "it" bike for me (and I looooove the new Fox fork :) )
I pm'd Freak! We may be interested in the "small" :thumb:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Velocity Girl said:
Well I know she'd be getting a good home then :D
But of course! :love:
I love the M1 but I think it's time for me to step it up and get some upgrades.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
interesting.

me and Zoae are kinda going through the same thing...though on a much cheaper scale...as i am still in college...(1 more semester!!), so i sold my DH and got a hardtail

which reminds me i need to get a pic of her bike with the new fork

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Wow!!! Sounds like a tough decision. I too have given up DHing (for this season because I am pregnant and it's more risk than I should take) and am having withdrawl currently. I am actually planning on selling off my bike too and with any luck will be able to get back into it next summer or shortly there after and upgrade. Good luck!!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Velocity Girl said:
Well with a more "all around" bike that leaves the door open to race if we really want...definitely would still be a good bike for some of the WIM races.

We've struggled with the MX/Quad thing. We've had MX bikes and really really enjoyed 'em, but quads are so much damn fun too...it's a tough call.

I'm sad to hear that your going to be hanging it up, but I can guarantee you this, it's much better to end it on your own terms. I wish I could have the choice. I really feel that ending racing would have been much easier if it was my choice.

I'm doing much more XC now and it's been funner than expected. I'm also thinking about doing a couple super d's next season (you should try one out with me so that way I don't have to go it alone!!). If you come down to bend to ride, let me know and I'll meet up with you guys. I'm only 2.5 hours away. A bend mud hunnies gathering would rock, and I could finally meet Heidi too!

One more thing...Go Moto!! If you get a quad we might have to have mock quad vs. dirt bike flame wars!! ;)

Well, let me know if you need any moral support! You can call and chat anytime!

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
I gave up dh racing 2 years ago, and haven't ridden my dh bike since last September. I ride a lot of so called xc on my 5.5 - lots of ups, but so many challenging downs too! I also ride mx alot. I don't miss dh one bit. I walk by my Foes in the garage every day and say hi to it, but there is so much else out there! Really, once you get over the initial part, it isn't so hard to realize that there is so much else out there for you. Broaden your horizons.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
OCDH said:
I gave up dh racing 2 years ago, and haven't ridden my dh bike since last September. I ride a lot of so called xc on my 5.5 - lots of ups, but so many challenging downs too! I also ride mx alot. I don't miss dh one bit. I walk by my Foes in the garage every day and say hi to it, but there is so much else out there! Really, once you get over the initial part, it isn't so hard to realize that there is so much else out there for you. Broaden your horizons.
Holly! You're still around. I hadn't seen you on here in forever! Good to see your still rippin!

I sold my mono after my accident, but I solved the problem of missing it by getting an FXR for my xc bike! It is such a good xc bike, and I still get my foes fix!

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
DH Diva said:
Holly! You're still around. I hadn't seen you on here in forever! Good to see your still rippin!

I sold my mono after my accident, but I solved the problem of missing it by getting an FXR for my xc bike! It is such a good xc bike, and I still get my foes fix!

Yeah, I'm still here! I pretty much fly under the radar on this site anymore since I don't have any cool pics of me doing any big drops or anything - somehow a picture me pedaling up a steep hill isn't too exciting :p It's pretty funny though - I ride a lot of the dh trails I used to do on my big bike on my 5.5, but instead of shuttling, I actually ride to get there. Of course, I AM smart enough to know when I have to walk my bike.

Sorry you don't have your Mono anymore - I love mine and I don't even ride it! But the FXR is a good compromise - sounds like you ride like I do - sort of like XC plus :thumb:

Anyway, not to detrail this thread. I say take a break from dh - open your mind to other possibilities. It will always be there if you decide to go back!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
OCDH said:
I say take a break from dh - open your mind to other possibilities. It will always be there if you decide to go back!
I agree! VG-We can do some fun enduro rides on whatever "motorized" vehicle you decide to get.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. It's just been so all consuming in our lives for so many years that it's hard imagining life any other way, but also exciting to begin tackling new challenges.

And as for the mx vs. quad debate....well....we decided on the quads :D And in typical Laura and Jason fashion, once we decide to do something, we do it as soon as possible...hehehe! So Friday night we picked up our new babies from the dealership and went out to break 'em in yesterday :D Damn was it fun!!!! We got on one tight trail accidentally and it was soooooo much fun trying to maneuver the quad up the hill over the ruts. Reading terrain takes on a whole new perspective with 4 wheels instead of 2 :D :D

DHDiva....we'd definitely be up for some enduro rides. And setting up a ride down in Bend sounds great. Oh yea...let the flame wars begin ;)

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
This one is Laura's

And this one is mine

We're taking them out again today, so hopefully I can get some action shots since we broke them in yesterday. :D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Velocity Girl said:
Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. It's just been so all consuming in our lives for so many years that it's hard imagining life any other way, but also exciting to begin tackling new challenges.

And as for the mx vs. quad debate....well....we decided on the quads :D And in typical Laura and Jason fashion, once we decide to do something, we do it as soon as possible...hehehe! So Friday night we picked up our new babies from the dealership and went out to break 'em in yesterday :D Damn was it fun!!!! We got on one tight trail accidentally and it was soooooo much fun trying to maneuver the quad up the hill over the ruts. Reading terrain takes on a whole new perspective with 4 wheels instead of 2 :D :D

DHDiva....we'd definitely be up for some enduro rides. And setting up a ride down in Bend sounds great. Oh yea...let the flame wars begin ;)
How did I know your's would be blue?? :) Congrats on the new toys. I rode from Hoodoo to sisters and back all on unmaintained forest service double track/dirt roads this weekend on my dirt bike. It was so fun! It was only my second ride out on the dirt bike for over a year, and so far it actually seems less harsh on the hand/wrist than MTB. So I'm stoked I can still ride it! Well, enjoy your new toy and let me know if your ever in the area so we can plan a ride!

p.s. What do you need all those extra wheels for?? :blah:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Freak said:
How long is that ride?
It was about 55 miles. But we had to cut it short because Dave got a rear flat. If we would have went back the same way it would have been a bit longer. Pretty fun!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
DH Diva said:
How did I know your's would be blue?? :) Congrats on the new toys. I rode from Hoodoo to sisters and back all on unmaintained forest service double track/dirt roads this weekend on my dirt bike. It was so fun! It was only my second ride out on the dirt bike for over a year, and so far it actually seems less harsh on the hand/wrist than MTB. So I'm stoked I can still ride it! Well, enjoy your new toy and let me know if your ever in the area so we can plan a ride!

p.s. What do you need all those extra wheels for?? :blah:
Well because it matches my moto helmet of course :D (I think the sales guy thought thought I was a "don't wanna break a nail girl" when I said that....lol!!!) That ride sounds like fun...sounds like a road trip might need to be planned :sneaky: We're also itchin' to hit some of the sand dunes...have you ever been?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Velocity Girl said:
Well because it matches my moto helmet of course :D (I think the sales guy thought thought I was a "don't wanna break a nail girl" when I said that....lol!!!) That ride sounds like fun...sounds like a road trip might need to be planned :sneaky: We're also itchin' to hit some of the sand dunes...have you ever been?
I haven't done any dune riding. My bike is not set up for dunes at all!! It's only a 230 so in the sand I can imagine it would be pretty gutless. Now if I got the new CRF 250X...... :drool:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Riding at the Dunes is the best! I took my dad's bike there once and it was sweet!!! :drool: :drool:

Edit~ Those are some sexy bikes! ;)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Hey VG!

I'm with ya, girl! Your reasons for giving up DH aren't too different from mine. It was a tough decision, but ever since I sold my DHR and walked away, I haven't regretted it in the least. Like Holly said, there's so much more out there! To train for DH on a top level just requires SO much work and really robs you if your life if you aren't totally into it anymore. I probably would have kept my DH bike and continued to ride for fun, but once they shut down Big Bear, it sort of killed it for me. I HATE coordinating shuttle runs and all that crap; BB made it easy.

Have fun with your quads! They look like fun! I never did buy another dirt bike after my accident, but I did buy a street bike and I'm thinking of adding a second one to the garage. Good luck with your "new life" and have fun! DH will always be there if you decide you can't live without it. :)

Attachments

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
VG,

Thanks for sharing with us "where you are" with DH. There's no shame in moving on and doing something else. Although I know sometimes there's a certain amount of guilt associated with leaving behind something you love doing.

I'm in a similar place, although I haven't been riding nearly as long. I live about two feet from Washington, D.C. There's one illegal place to ride DH within an hour of here... then one mtb. park about two hours away and another four hours away (Snowshoe.) I can't afford the gasoline to drive to somewhere to practice. I just go to races (four a year). And now gas prices just went up even more, and I'm not sure if I can afford to drive to all three remaining races I want to do this year. :(

Good luck to you as you forge a slightly different life!!!! Keep us posted!

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
I know what you mean about the long trips to Whistler! I live in Olympia and I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that we need to move to B'ham to be closer to Whistler! I will check out your bike on the buy and sell forum. I'm casually looking for a DH bike as my SC Heckler doesn't cut it at Whistler! Its great for Tiger and Capital Forest, though! I would highly recommend an SC Heckler for your XC bike purchase!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
sayndesyn said:
Quads are great if you aren't into cornering ; )
Oh heck no....getting the rear to break loose slide thru a corner is fun! Just have to get over the fear of tipping the damn thing in the process :eek:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
James | Go-Ride said:
That's responsible trail use and conservation all rolled into one! :p
Hehehe...it's really not as bad as it seems. When you've got loose dirt/sand on the trail the rear wheels tend to slide in corners. A responsible atv rider believe it or not doesn't tear stuff up the way you might think...they try not to dig ruts by spinning out and tearing s**t up. Most of the ruts we come across are done by motorcycles actually, but the trails we ride are designated for atv's and motorcycles so they're expected trail conditions.

Unfortunately just as we come across in mtbing....some of the irresponsible dillholes out there cause us to get a bad rap.

I'm still getting used to jumping and not being clipped in though...very weird feeling!