Quantcast

Time for a new FS bike

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Any one have a Giant VT? What do you think of it? How is it as a all around bike? I want an all mountain long travel FS. I only have $500 to spend so I have to stick with stuff I can get from the shop I work at. So my choices are
VT, Azonic Propulsion, Jamis dacar.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
No first hand knowledge, but I did a lot of research before I bought my new FS bike earlier this summer. So take this for what it's worth...

VT is a good all-around bike, though its built with an eye towards decending, not climbing.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
jacksonpt said:
No first hand knowledge, but I did a lot of research before I bought my new FS bike earlier this summer. So take this for what it's worth...

VT is a good all-around bike, though its built with an eye towards decending, not climbing.
Ware did you get that? Every thing I have read about it tells me it’s a grate climber. All the revues on MTBR rave about it and my Giant rep tells me it’s a grate climber. Just wondering because i haven't herd any thing bad about the VT yeat.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would get the VT i demoed one and it feels pretty bottomless. climbs pretty good as well. not as good as my xce but pretty damn good considering how good it feels descending.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Why not the Azonic? Proven FSR technology, well built frames....
If you could get one for $500, you should jump on it.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Fulton said:
Why not the Azonic? Proven FSR technology, well built frames....
If you could get one for $500, you should jump on it.
Because I have neaver seen one and I don't know any one with one. Thay look nice but I can't find any one that has one to tell me how thay like it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Pulser955 said:
Ware did you get that? Every thing I have read about it tells me it’s a grate climber. All the revues on MTBR rave about it and my Giant rep tells me it’s a grate climber. Just wondering because i haven't herd any thing bad about the VT yeat.
I should clerify... the VT is not a bad climber by any means, but there are other all mountain bikes at similar prices that climb better (Spec Enduro comes to mind).

You've got to remember, especially when reading reviews, that any bike can be awesome or crap depending on what you compare it to. The VT is a great climber compared to a DH bike, but lousy compared to an XC bike. Also, look at how long people have been riding a bike when you read the reviews.

Also... with all do respect, I've got to think that your Giant rep is just a little bit biased, no?

I believe Skookum recently sold his VT and got an Enduro - he'd might be able to give you some good info about the VT.

With all that said, I don't know anything about the Azonic, but I'd take the VT over the Dakar in a heartbeat. But the bottom line is you've got to ride them and see how they feel - that's what you should base your decision on, not what we all say.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
jacksonpt said:
I should clerify... the VT is not a bad climber by any means, but there are other all mountain bikes at similar prices that climb better (Spec Enduro comes to mind).

You've got to remember, especially when reading reviews, that any bike can be awesome or crap depending on what you compare it to. The VT is a great climber compared to a DH bike, but lousy compared to an XC bike. Also, look at how long people have been riding a bike when you read the reviews.

Also... with all do respect, I've got to think that your Giant rep is just a little bit biased, no?

I believe Skookum recently sold his VT and got an Enduro - he'd might be able to give you some good info about the VT.

With all that said, I don't know anything about the Azonic, but I'd take the VT over the Dakar in a heartbeat. But the bottom line is you've got to ride them and see how they feel - that's what you should base your decision on, not what we all say.

I have riden a VT arund the shop I just haven't goten to trail ride one. My frend has a Dacar XLT and he likes it. I like the VT more. I was just looking for feed back from some pepple that have had one for a whille.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Pulser955 said:
I have riden a VT arund the shop I just haven't goten to trail ride one. My frend has a Dacar XLT and he likes it. I like the VT more. I was just looking for feed back from some pepple that have had one for a whille.
Ah, well... the XLTs are great bikes, especially for the money. If I had to decide between the XLT and the VT, it would be a tough choice in deed. If memory serves me, the XLT has a slightly better component package, but I think the VT is a little beefier.

Ride 'em both, then decide.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
jacksonpt said:
Ah, well... the XLTs are great bikes, especially for the money. If I had to decide between the XLT and the VT, it would be a tough choice in deed. If memory serves me, the XLT has a slightly better component package, but I think the VT is a little beefier.

Ride 'em both, then decide.
I'm only getting a frame. I have all the parts from the bike I broke.