Quantcast

Time for a new job

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
:mumble:

So I graduated. The company I had been interning for decided that I wasn't valuable enough to make fulltime (as they had promised earlier this year), so I am currently working half at the bike shop and half doing marketing, sales, and some writing for various companies around the Bay Area (guess which job is more fun day to day?).

It has pretty much gotten to the point that I think they've stopped giving me assignments so that 1) I get the point and just stop showing up one day or 2) get motivated and start making myself valuable.

Unfortunately the fact that they showed so much confidence in me by cutting back my hours right away seems to cause problems with my motivation. So I guess I am now actively seeking a new job. I've already told my boss and he is strangely ok with it, though in the mean time I am still working with him on some projects.

Right now I just want to get the hell out of Santa Clara and hopefully the Bay Area. I know that as a Californian I'm not wanted in Colorado, anyone else have some suggestions on where to move?

This job is killing me, it is about 80* outside and I'm ditching out early to go for a bike ride.

Wish me luck in my job search, I'm a liberal studies major and they did a poor job teaching us how to actually find a job. If all else fails I've got enough money to ride my bike across the country, that should keep me busy for a while. :)

Anyone have some good stories about searching for jobs/finding your place in life after graduating from school. I'd love to hear them.

The Ito

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
As long as you don't drive like a complete dumbass during the winter... I suppose we could tolerate another Californian. ;)

Best of luck on the search though, hopefully you find something that isn't too terrible. :)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The best of luck with your search. Are you planning on looking for another writing job? Details man.

My story: I graduated from SLO with a degree in accounting. I was lucky to have a professional contact with whom I was able to find gainful employment. Networking, while not everything, meant a lot. To this day, I don't know if this job or career is what I want to do for the rest of my life. What I do know however, is that it is something I enjoy doing right now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Good luck dude.

I remember when I was an office temp, and one point a senior guy made to me was if they wanted me, it would pretty obvious because I would have been offered a position.

If you want to move to Colorado, then do it. I hear the Californians hate out-of-staters too, but screw them! I moved here anyway...

Good luck finding a job. Don't be discourage if no one is beating a path to your door. Stick with it and something will happen...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Have you made any good contacts through your internship? Maybe they can help you...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ito said:
I know that as a Californian I'm not wanted in Colorado, anyone else have some suggestions on where to move?
Fvck that, move there anyway. And tell them you were born in Texas.
COmtbiker12 said:
As long as you don't drive like a complete dumbass during the winter... I suppose we could tolerate another Californian. ;)
sorry, jersey drivers are better than the native coloradans when it comes to driving.:)

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Serial Midget said:
Just FYI - Californians are not wanted in Washington either...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
Look out then. I have family throughout Washington State, I believe Bellingham is my true calling.

The Ito

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
bella said:
goto washington or oregon
It's weird. All the jobs that actually pan out for me. Are in washington or oregon. I just can't pull the trigger and leave the northeast. Sad actually....

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm trying to find my ideal job right now too. It's tough; I'm creative and intellectual, but have trouble sitting in front of a computer all day. I landed my dream job right out of college and now its luster is starting to wear off, so I'm not sure what my next move will be

ito

Oct 3, 2003
bluebug32 said:
I'm trying to find my ideal job right now too. It's tough; I'm creative and intellectual, but have trouble sitting in front of a computer all day. I landed my dream job right out of college and now its luster is starting to wear off, so I'm not sure what my next move will be
I am somewhat in the creative and intellectual dilemna. I'm writing articles for a local "society" magazine and I hate it. I have no concern for the wealthy and really no desire to please them, however it is a chance to get published and have experience with writing outside of college. However every time I tell myself that I think, "Damn, it is too early for me to start selling out".

This job has perks and can be great fun, but the day to day is killing me.

My college advisor told me that 4 years after she graduated college she rode her bike across the country, then she ended up in grad school. Maybe it is time to organize that bike trip I've always wanted to take.

The Ito

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
ito said:
I am somewhat in the creative and intellectual dilemna. I'm writing articles for a local "society" magazine and I hate it. I have no concern for the wealthy and really no desire to please them, however it is a chance to get published and have experience with writing outside of college. However every time I tell myself that I think, "Damn, it is too early for me to start selling out".

My college advisor told me that 4 years after she graduated college she rode her bike across the country, then she ended up in grad school. Maybe it is time to organize that bike trip I've always wanted to take.

The Ito

straight outta college, makes you what 22, 23?

suck it up for a few more months in order to save a couple of grand. then quit. load your car up with skiis, tent, bikes and a cooler and hit the road. tour the USA and canada. hell hit mexico too. once you have a real job, wife and kids it becomes a little tougher to tour the country...

or you could just go to grad school in some absolutely gorgeous part of the country, work as an RA and goof on in the mtns four years...thats what i did.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Good luck to you! I can't wait to have my dream job. I've been out of school for over 2 years doing stuff I don't love, and it kills me. It feels like it'll be forever before I am doing what I want. I can't wait till BV is done with school so I can get either my MD or PhD. I was looking at jobs with the CDC online yesterday and becoming wishful; I can't wait to do something helpful and meaningful with my life.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good luck in your search. I didn't go to school like normal people. I went back 2 years ago and just finished my BS a few months ago. I'm still waiting for the big money to roll in.

Went I got out of the military, I tried to make it in San Diego even though I hated it. A friend talked me into packing it up and moving to Oregon. I came to visit for 2 weeks, I moved 30 days later. I had never even been to Oregon, so I had no idea what I was getting into.

I have been here since '93 and love it. The rain gets a bit old, but it's not too bad. Public transpo is great and the job market isn't bad in and around Portland either.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ito said:

The Ito

What field are you in? I also write for a magazine.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ito said:
<snip>

The Ito
I think this is a no brainer! You're young, almost jobless........... it's PERFECT! :D

cyclopath

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
Texas
stevew said:
Fvck that, move there anyway. And tell them you were born in Texas.

Forget that. Just move to Texas. We've got Cali's all over Austin, some left over from the HiTech boom in the 90's, and some just here for the hell of it.

Plus. Texans can't drive either, so you'll blend right in.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I am in a similar boat......except I've been without work now for 2+ years and all the $$$ has ran out.

I have tried for every different city and county job that I qualified for. Well I guess after taking tests for them I didn't do too well. I've tried for some basic entry level computer-type jobs that I've been shut down for as well. 99% of my background working wise is in computer/networks installation and repair so that field is so limited here it's like.......time to find a new field of work...

I don't have the college degree or anything, just been really good at self teaching but it hasn't taken me very far :(

So right now......I've interviewed at a place down the street......pay isn't that great ($10-11/hr) but they offer company paid medical/dental/vision, paid holidays as it's a credit union, decent sick/vacation time off......so for that pay considering it's 2 blocks away I might take it......and see how it goes. I'll never become rich but at this point $10/hr is better than my current pay of $0/hr.

I have thought if living in California doesn't work out.......moving to Colorado OR Washington State as my girlfriend has family up there (she'd move too) but we'd probably live in Spokane. I know I know it's Spokane but it's something different than here. It's like......maybe it's time to cut my losses and get out of California. It's so expensive to live here I'd still be at home if we didn't have discounted rent & now it's starting to not be so discounted (family deal). It's like........say you make $1200-1700 a month...which alot of regular jobs are paying (in that $10-15 range)....if you were a single person rent eats up $800-1000, + bills, + living......doesn't leave you with alot of options. Hell even if you have a roomate you're still paying $700-800 for a room + all the stuff. It drives me insane to think that what we pay for rent here we could almost get a home someplace else. I'd much rather be putting my $$$ into a house payment than a rent.

But........good luck Ito....there is a job out there for you (for me as well) but I haven't exactly found it. I guess it sucks more knowing you just got out of school (my girlfriend did too!) with a degree and seeing how it's funky being able to apply it. It's like........people get degree's for all different things and then work the rest of their lives doing something 100% different than what they went to school for. My girlfriend is one of them.......working as a bookeeper with a sociology? LOL degree. See I can't even spell it :)

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Spunger said:
I am in a similar boat......except I've been without work now for 2+ years and all the $$$ has ran out.
I'm scared of that happening, fortunately I don't have the girlfriend/wife responsibility of some. California is too expensive for my taste and unless I can find a job I'd really like I don't think much can convince me to stay.

And I'm working for IM. It is well done, however the idea of "society" rags just pisses me off. The people I'm writing/selling it to have nothing in common except their bank accounts. As a college grad trying to relate to the problems of the average BMW/Benz-driving soccer mom or CEO is difficult to say the least.

I figure some day I'll change the world, until then I just want to change my location.

The Ito

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
ito said:
And I'm working for _____ magazine. It is well done, however the idea of "society" rags just pisses me off. The people I'm writing/selling it to have nothing in common except their bank accounts. As a college grad trying to relate to the problems of the average BMW/Benz-driving soccer mom or CEO is difficult to say the least.
The Ito
The purpose of that magazine isnt to "relate" to the reader, it is to pillage their retirement accounts for the benefit of your advertisers. Turn your being pissed off into a crusade that results in 7500sq/ft drywall palaces being forced into foreclosure due to bloated Nordstroms charge accounts and closets full of last years fashion.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ito said:
<snip>

I figure some day I'll change the world, until then I just want to change my location.
Hit up some mountain town and become a ski/bike/river bum. Who knows - you might like it so much you abandon the "change the world" attitude and adopt the "make myself happy" attitude. :thumb: :D

ito

Oct 3, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Hit up some mountain town and become a ski/bike/river bum. Who knows - you might like it so much you abandon the "change the world" attitude and adopt the "make myself happy" attitude. :thumb: :D
I already have that attitude, didn't you see my Washington trip pictures?

:)

...and yes, bike/ski/river bum plan is somewhat the idea. Basically I'm a travel junky.

I like this idea of burning it all down from the inside.

The Ito

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ito said:
I already have that attitude, didn't you see my Washington trip pictures?

:)

...and yes, bike/ski/river bum plan is somewhat the idea. Basically I'm a travel junky.

I like this idea of burning it all down from the inside.

The Ito
Do it, man! Take your digi cam and drop by internet cafes occasionally so we can live vicariously through you. :thumb:

ito

Oct 3, 2003
chuffer said:
or you could just go to grad school in some absolutely gorgeous part of the country, work as an RA and goof on in the mtns four years...thats what i did.
What grad school and what did you go for?

Mexico sounds fun. Hell, I've been thinking SA for a while too.

The Ito

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ito said:
It is well done, however the idea of "society" rags just pisses me off. The people I'm writing/selling it to have nothing in common except their bank accounts. As a college grad trying to relate to the problems of the average BMW/Benz-driving soccer mom or CEO is difficult to say the least.

The Ito

Welcome to the world of magazine. It's not as glamorous as everyone thinks. Just a tip, I wouldn't mention the name of your book online...a simple Google search might give you no choice but to find another job ;)

Good luck. What profession do you want to be in BTW?

ito

Oct 3, 2003
bluebug32 said:
Welcome to the world of magazine. It's not as glamorous as everyone thinks. Just a tip, I wouldn't mention the name of your book online...a simple Google search might give you no choice but to find another job ;)

Good luck. What profession do you want to be in BTW?
Thanks, want to help me out there then?

What do I want to do? Photography and travel writing, however getting into that is tough. I'd love to work in the bike industry if I could.

Basically I need to find a job that puts me outside with people in interesting places. I have future plans of opening an adventure touring company, something small. Ideas are many and quite far-fetched at times, capital is not as plentiful.

The Ito

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ito said:
Thanks, want to help me out there then?

What do I want to do? Photography and travel writing, however getting into that is tough. I'd love to work in the bike industry if I could.

Basically I need to find a job that puts me outside with people in interesting places. I have future plans of opening an adventure touring company, something small. Ideas are many and quite far-fetched at times, capital is not as plentiful.

The Ito

Magazine work is all about who you know. You have published clips, right?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
ito said:
What grad school and what did you go for?

Mexico sounds fun. Hell, I've been thinking SA for a while too.

The Ito

i did my phd (read Piled Higher and Deeper) in metallurgical eng. at a little hole in the wall in colorado.

it doesnt really matter what you study or exactly where you go. the point is that right now you are in your prime. working is for old people with fragile bones and weak constitutions. go see the world. be adventurous while you are young and vital man. you will not die a pauper if you dont start paying the permitted maximum into your 401k at 22.

go to mexico and SA. hell, man, go to south east asia. go to north africa. fawk the job.