Quantcast

TIME Platform "Z" Pedals Anyone?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I'm considering switching to Time pedals, but I'm curious if anyone has used the new Time Z pedals:

More Info:http://www.timesportusa.com/zcontroldata.html

I do tend to have knee problems every now and again, so I'm curious if the Time's would help lessen those issues.

Anyone have experience with the Time Z Pedals in particular AND anyone switched from SPD to Time pedals recently? Any feedback?

I like the platform-style design as I'm used to Shimano 545's...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I've had a set on my bike for over 6 months and I really like them.

one note they aren't like flats due to the smaller surface but they do give you enough platform to peddle on after dabbing or dragging your foot through a corner before you need to clip back in

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
For FR/DH, I understand that the cage portion of the pedal gets pretty slippery in muddy and icy conditions. Not as bad as original Times and better than many others, but more so than a good set of flats. As Echo said, the Times would be preferable to any other clipless but for the quickest in-and-out of the pedal, I still gotta stick with the flats. Plus, some of the trails near me require a little pushing to get to. Nothing sucks more than pushing a DH rig up steep rockgardens in clipless shoes...well, except a pencil in the eye.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I've ridden the time for three seasons now, and aside from running flat pedals for urban, they are the only answer for north east conditions! I now have two rides (wicked muddy ones!) onthe Atac-Z platforms and am floored! A little snow and mud, and my crew with either the 959s or Frogs are having crazy issues getting clipped, I had no problems AT ALL!

Also, I often ride new stunts unclipped for the first time, and with the new platforms, its so sweet. One thing I do have to say, is I ride a softer soled shoe, so the feel may be bit better than you'd get with super stiff soles.

These pedals rock!

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Nothing sucks more than pushing a DH rig up steep rockgardens in clipless shoes...well, except a pencil in the eye.
:D

I guess a stick in the eye would be much worse...

Hmmm... I do like the burlier cage that the Shimano 545's offer. The Z pedals really don't have much in the way of grippage unless you're clipped in. I'll keep thinking about it, but my knees may end up being the guide on this decision. I'll just ride my flats until I decide which way to go...

What do those Z pedals run, anyway?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...I'd be on 'em like syrup on a pancake, regardless of the cost. Imagine if the perimeter of the cage had Shinburger-style raised spikes or Trailpimp-style allen bolts. Even a bunch of traction pins would be preferable to the current sparse tooth pattern.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...I'd be on 'em like syrup on a pancake, regardless of the cost. Imagine if the perimeter of the cage had Shinburger-style raised spikes or Trailpimp-style allen bolts. Even a bunch of traction pins would be preferable to the current sparse tooth pattern.
I think you're onto something there. Spikes, or lack thereof, would be a serious reason not to consider these... until Time realizes the sin of their ways and repents... Can I get a witness!?!?!?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I hear that the 545s are no better when wet or icy than the Z pedals.

I've been meaning to get some Zs for awhile now.

bikeman.com has them on sale for something like $70.

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by spincrazy
I hear that the 545s are no better when wet or icy than the Z pedals.

I've been meaning to get some Zs for awhile now.

bikeman.com has them on sale for something like $70.
When you get yours, let me know how you like 'em. Also, that's a pretty cool site. Most bike sites aren't that dialed in.

I've used the 545's for 4 years now and I think they rule... I just thought I might like more float for zee kneezzz.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by powderboy
When you get yours, let me know how you like 'em. Also, that's a pretty cool site. Most bike sites aren't that dialed in.

I've used the 545's for 4 years now and I think they rule... I just thought I might like more float for zee kneezzz.
I will. A friend of mine has been running them for like 9 months and he loves em.

You get more float and no mud clogs with the Times. I run the ATACs now, and have never had a problem w/ clogged mechs.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by VTinCT

Also, I often ride new stunts unclipped for the first time, and with the new platforms, its so sweet. One thing I do have to say, is I ride a softer soled shoe, so the feel may be bit better than you'd get with super stiff soles.

These pedals rock!
What kind of shoes are you riding? I hate the feel of the really stiff soles on most bike shoes.

As for the Shimano 545s, I took them off - the clips stick out so far it feels like a regular old clipless pedal to me when I'm not clipped-in. Somebody once said "feels like standing on a golf ball". Softer sole shoes might help. I'm interested in somebody who has tried both head-to-head - do the Time clips protrude like the 545s?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by ghostrider
What kind of shoes are you riding? I hate the feel of the really stiff soles on most bike shoes.

As for the Shimano 545s, I took them off - the clips stick out so far it feels like a regular old clipless pedal to me when I'm not clipped-in. Somebody once said "feels like standing on a golf ball". Softer sole shoes might help. I'm interested in somebody who has tried both head-to-head - do the Time clips protrude like the 545s?
Ummm...I'm not sure the model name, I think they'e called Rockhoppers by Specialized. I hate giving the evil empire $$, but they are wicked comfy kicks.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by VTinCT
Ummm...I'm not sure the model name, I think they'e called Rockhoppers by Specialized. I hate giving the evil empire $$, but they are wicked comfy kicks.
Can I get an amen to soft soled shoes for non-racers? At least semi soft. Hike a bikes are more important.

Oct 8, 2003
I have tried riding xc with shimano spd style pedals and always had a huge problem, tired themon a DH bike and were so hard to get back into if in a rock garden or anything rough. I got a bike with time atac Z pedals and liked them alot. With out ever really trying to ride serious downhill with clipless I found really quickly that I liked them alot. I couldnt rip the turns that were really tight quite as fast, but for a wide open course like vermont or one that has alot of pedaling I will def. run the time pedals. even if its tight but has alot of pedaling I think I could make up a few slower turns for how much more power you get with clipless. A buddy of time just got some crank brother pedals mallot m I think was the name. those things are pretty sick lookin havnt tried them but it looks like they would be better than the times if you couldnt clip back in theres a pretty grippy platform. My only complaint about running clipless is walking to a dh trailhead in the shoes or even after riding for awhile, they are so stiff. Think some dr. scholls would fix that?