Quantcast

Time to make a frame =)

blank

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Well, long story short, i got a job at a metal shop and have the opportunity to actually make a frame of my choice. Problem, i don't know **** about designing let alone don't have enough money to learn the programs i want to use..

So, does anyone have any frame designs that i could use? I would ideally want a high piviot 5'' frame. Steel it is going to be no mater what. 66-67 degree headtube? 22 tt? linear rate?

Not sure really, but if people have designs that could be made, post em up!
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Haha, you have the half of the "bike frame design/making" that most people want but never get. If you have a sound background in math, and a general knowledge of physics and all its doings, you can most likely design yourself a simple single pivot with the program bikechecker (used to be, or still is called linkage 2.5) and nice big sheet of paper. Some woodworking skills are handy for throwing together a quick jig, but since your in a metal shop, you could make a kick ass jig out of 1/4" sheet alu cut-offs. Search around, this forums got a **** load of recent threads on homemade DH/FR frames.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Blank if you ask for geo ideas than please first post what is the intended use of the frame cuz for now it's only guesing.

BTW. If you go for high pivot maybe look at balfa,appalache empire and new corsair designs - High pivot with rearward axle move and idler pulley. Even in demo of linkage you should see a lot about those bikes.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
'obtain' a copy of solidworks or solidedge..

ive used solid edge for a number of years and it took me about 1 week when i got it at first to learn enough to create a basic frame. there are tutorials you can work through which will show you what u need to know..

pm me for a copy

EDIT: also get the personal version of linkage, as mentioned above. it costs buttons and will come in handy, for example if you want a high, single pivot with a slightly rising leverage ratio, look at the balfa, copy the coordinates of the main pivot, and shock mounts, plot them in your CAD software and scale them up/down to match your chosen shock length

Last edited:

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
'obtain' a copy of solidworks or solidedge..

ive used solid edge for a number of years and it took me about 1 week when i got it at first to learn enough to create a basic frame. there are tutorials you can work through which will show you what u need to know..

pm me for a copy

EDIT: also get the personal version of linkage, as mentioned above. it costs buttons and will come in handy, for example if you want a high, single pivot with a slightly rising leverage ratio, look at the balfa, copy the coordinates of the main pivot, and shock mounts, plot them in your CAD software and scale them up/down to match your chosen shock length
yeah definitely get a copy of solidworks that should help you get started.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Rhyno3D is freeware i believe, and its a 3d Cad program, i dunno if anything listed above is "free"

The cheapest you can get solidworks legaly is the student version for $80-$90 and it expires in a year (there may be patch files to get rid of the expiration code). However if you know someone who knows the intarweb well, get him to make a full suit version of solidworks appear on your computer if you catch my drift. That way you get cosmosworks the full version, where you can test (albiet not 100% accurately) assemblys.

Edit:: Now i see the quotes around obtain LMC haha, yea 'obtain' a copy of solidworks if you can. its hella easy and fun to use after a week of learning.

Last edited:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I'd avoid the 3D modeling programs, it's just not needed, and they're expensive. 2D will be faster as well. I use 3D if I'm designing a new dropout that's complex, or someother CNC'd bit. But when it comes to dealing with frame manufacturers all my frame drawings are done in 2D.

Edit: While I'm all for free stuff 'Obtaining' solidworks is the equivilant of stealing $5000. That's a fellon brotha. Cosmos...$15,000.

Good luck man. Post some progress pics when your up and running.

Last edited:

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
I'd avoid the 3D modeling programs, it's just not needed, and they're expensive. 2D will be faster as well. I use 3D if I'm designing a new dropout that's complex, or someother CNC'd bit. But when it comes to dealing with frame manufacturers all my frame drawings are done in 2D.

Edit: While I'm all for free stuff 'Obtaining' solidworks is the equivilant of stealing $5000. That's a fellon brotha. Cosmos...$15,000.

Good luck man. Post some progress pics when your up and running.
What 2D modeling programs would you reccomend?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If the guy doesn't want to learn cad, why not just draw it out full scale on paper. He could trace a few bikes that he likes and overlay them to see what the differences are. Then, he can design up the frame full scal on paper. I am assuming that he knows how to develop the joints to fit if he is a fabricator. You can do it with math, cad, paper or some simple fabricating tools.

We (my paying employer) do basically the same thing in CAD all the time when reverse engineering competitor products to develop the physics models on how things work. The funny thing is that sometimes when you deep dive into competitor products you sometimes find out why their products are failing and see "the light" on how easily they could fix it. Then if your really slick, you can lock down the IP on the fix. :)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Go to the solidworks website, you can download the student edition for free and it wont cost you a penny, just search google for a university code for solidworks student... i used my own as i was at uni.

It does expire after a year correct, and it has limited function in that you cant perform fea on it (as the level of cosmos that comes with it is impared) and you cant save as iges or other such files so no exporting the files to cnc or other company for further development.

Rick

EB-Mitchell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Vancouver
Hi. I have been working on a DH frame for about 2 and a half years now... It is very difficult to get things right. My suggestion is to download the try out version of cadopia IntelliCAD for 2d and then the trail version of rhino to convert it to 3d. It would also be best to take a short course on cad at your local school or something. Here is my final design (I am in the process of mitering the tubes and machining).

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
just search google for a university code for solidworks student... i used my own as i was at uni.
Thats a clever idea, I would suggest Rick's suggestion over the mention of "obtaining". I forget if you can print from the student version to a plotter? If you can, sweet. All you would have to do is draw the fram, check tolerances and interferences in the 3d model (which is a hell of alot easier with more complicated suspension designs) and then take the file to like kinko's and have them print it out full scale. For the amateur home builder thats more than enough to get started, so long as you dont go CNC part crazy and fabricate stuff that can be fabricated.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Thats a clever idea, I would suggest Rick's suggestion over the mention of "obtaining". I forget if you can print from the student version to a plotter? If you can, sweet. All you would have to do is draw the fram, check tolerances and interferences in the 3d model (which is a hell of alot easier with more complicated suspension designs) and then take the file to like kinko's and have them print it out full scale. For the amateur home builder thats more than enough to get started, so long as you dont go CNC part crazy and fabricate stuff that can be fabricated.
i agree with all the above..

about the cnc parts its a good idea for amateur builders to watch a 5 axis cnc machine in operation, (theres likely to be videos on youtube) to give u an idea of what can and cant be done.
For example if i have to turn the part over will i be able to relocate it in the clamps in the exact position i need?..

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Find a bike that you like & someone with a jig that you can stick that frame into. Take some measurements, cut some pipe, & weld it all together.
Then ride it with glee. Take it from someone who knows:biggrin:

If you want to learn SW that's great, but it's not at all necessary.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
can somebody please help me get solidworks. PM me, i cant find a trail or "obtain" a copy either, i have a good idea i want 2 make

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Hi. I have been working on a DH frame for about 2 and a half years now... It is very difficult to get things right. My suggestion is to download the try out version of cadopia IntelliCAD for 2d and then the trail version of rhino to convert it to 3d. It would also be best to take a short course on cad at your local school or something. Here is my final design (I am in the process of mitering the tubes and machining).

hey looking good, but you may want to raise that main pivot some (like 30-40mm) as you will get lots of chain torque squat and from acceleration forces as well due to central mass rotation of the main frame and rider.

have fun!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
i agree with all the above..

about the cnc parts its a good idea for amateur builders to watch a 5 axis cnc machine in operation, (theres likely to be videos on youtube) to give u an idea of what can and cant be done.
For example if i have to turn the part over will i be able to relocate it in the clamps in the exact position i need?..
Designing parts that have to be done on a multi axis machine is stupid. 3 axis machine time can be had for as low as $75/hr. 5 axis STARTS at about $200.

Design your parts so they can be done in 2 operations. A top and a bottom. Sure, sometimes this isn't possible. Just remember that a 3rd operation, may add 30% to the price.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Designing parts that have to be done on a multi axis machine is stupid. 3 axis machine time can be had for as low as $75/hr. 5 axis STARTS at about $200.

Design your parts so they can be done in 2 operations. A top and a bottom. Sure, sometimes this isn't possible. Just remember that a 3rd operation, may add 30% to the price.
ive had many parts created on a 5 axis and ive never paid anywhere near $200/hr,

but yes, keep it as simple as possible.

to the OP. this thread is going to be pure speculation until we have a better idea of what is trying to be created, do you have any sketches/more details you can post?

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
hey looking good, but you may want to raise that main pivot some (like 30-40mm) as you will get lots of chain torque squat and from acceleration forces as well due to central mass rotation of the main frame and rider.

have fun!
you are incorrect. The resultant moment about the pivot from the chain pull is less than the driving force from the contact patch of the tire in the opposite dirrection. Draw the free body diagram. I didn't believe DW's statement regarding this until I drew it out.

Low pivot bikes squat under acceleration due to poor low speed compression.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Well, long story short, i got a job at a metal shop and have the opportunity to actually make a frame of my choice. Problem, i don't know **** about designing let alone don't have enough money to learn the programs i want to use..

So, does anyone have any frame designs that i could use? I would ideally want a high piviot 5'' frame. Steel it is going to be no mater what. 66-67 degree headtube? 22 tt? linear rate?

Not sure really, but if people have designs that could be made, post em up!
Thanks!
so back to the original request, the guy doesn't want to use cad. Why is everyone suggesting that he steal a copy of XYZ program, learn to use it and then maybee build a frame?

blank

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
indeed thats what it is. I really just don't have time to learn and fully design a frame. Hence, i am asking if anyone has a design i could use...unless someone is willing to spend the time and design one for me...with my input of course.

Its a bike frame, inless it has really messy linkage i really only need angles, piviot location and tube length, from there i can make it how i like.

Also realize, i don't have a frame jig...if i had one i don't think i would need help...

So ideally....
5'' rear, linear rate, high piviot (reason on 5'' is i live in ontario...there isn't much =P)
low stand over
22'' tt? 66-67 degree headtube angle
regular spacing

Single pivot is simplest i think. Less fabrication, in the sense make front triangle, and arm..done!High pivot should ride decent for dh ...

BUT, like i said, if you got a design shoooow mmmme!
(probably repeated alot of ****, but meh...)

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
you are incorrect. The resultant moment about the pivot from the chain pull is less than the driving force from the contact patch of the tire in the opposite dirrection. Draw the free body diagram. I didn't believe DW's statement regarding this until I drew it out.

Low pivot bikes squat under acceleration due to poor low speed compression.
how can i be incorrect when you say low pivot bikes squat?? using low speed compression just fixes the problem.

the force from the rear axle to the point where it is attached on the frame, above or below the CG will determin the squat/ jack you will get from acceleration forces, well thats what i was thinking maybe i'll look at the tire patch thing?

anyway my S.O.M.P (seat of my pants)testing on my high pivot bikes leeds me to this being the case,

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ive had many parts created on a 5 axis and ive never paid anywhere near $200/hr,
Then the parts either weren't done on a 5 axis machine, or the shop was starving for work and giving their time away.
Or the machinist was horribly under paid and needs to wake up and smell the job market.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
indeed thats what it is. I really just don't have time to learn and fully design a frame. Hence, i am asking if anyone has a design i could use...unless someone is willing to spend the time and design one for me...with my input of course.

Its a bike frame, inless it has really messy linkage i really only need angles, piviot location and tube length, from there i can make it how i like.

Also realize, i don't have a frame jig...if i had one i don't think i would need help...

So ideally....
5'' rear, linear rate, high piviot (reason on 5'' is i live in ontario...there isn't much =P)
low stand over
22'' tt? 66-67 degree headtube angle
regular spacing

Single pivot is simplest i think. Less fabrication, in the sense make front triangle, and arm..done!High pivot should ride decent for dh ...

BUT, like i said, if you got a design shoooow mmmme!
(probably repeated alot of ****, but meh...)
you will need a design that will work with your fab skills and the the workshop gear you have at your disposal, have you owned or riden many fullsus bikes? what do you like?
as for the geo numbers thats some thing you'll have to do some research on, take a bike you like and make the changes to the geo to what you want, its all part of the building process.

anyway heres a pic for you

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
how can i be incorrect when you say low pivot bikes squat?? using low speed compression just fixes the problem.

the force from the rear axle to the point where it is attached on the frame, above or below the CG will determin the squat/ jack you will get from acceleration forces, well thats what i was thinking maybe i'll look at the tire patch thing?

anyway my S.O.M.P (seat of my pants)testing on my high pivot bikes leeds me to this being the case,

Bike squat is typically from the rider mass bouncing up and down. AKA, bouncing your whole body up and down while pedaling. Low speed compression damping can help with that.

I'll try to make a diagram later. Basically, the force from the tire contact point is opposite to the chain tension.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Bike squat is typically from the rider mass bouncing up and down. AKA, bouncing your whole body up and down while pedaling. Low speed compression damping can help with that.

I'll try to make a diagram later. Basically, the force from the tire contact point is opposite to the chain tension.
yeah some kinda diagram would be cool,

there are 3 things(that i know of) that cause suspension squat/jack and compression, one is the rider mass movement or RMM, i see this as compression not squat and can be controlled by good pedaling technique.

next you have acceleration forces and if your suspension squats from this(low pivot) no amount of good pedaling can stop it.

and then theres chain torque induced squat and or jack and the chain line has an effect on this, when you change the amount of torque on the chain and change the chain line by what gears you use and how much power you put in to the pedal stroke your suspention will jack/squat a certain amount, the major flaw with mtb suspension is the drive chain, the chain line/torque does not go in the direction of the central mass.

blank

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
dirtdigger that is exactly what i want to make. High piviot similar to the balfa 2step. If i get the dimensions i can then see what i can fabricate with what i have.

I might just make a hardtail. re-make a 04 torrent with a few tweaks and outta steel..ideally i could make it a 4'' fully or something, not sure...
Any more info on that frame?

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
dirtdigger that is exactly what i want to make. High piviot similar to the balfa 2step. If i get the dimensions i can then see what i can fabricate with what i have.

I might just make a hardtail. re-make a 04 torrent with a few tweaks and outta steel..ideally i could make it a 4'' fully or something, not sure...
Any more info on that frame?
yeah thought you'd like it, its not one that i've made tho, but heres a link for ya

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114880&highlight=HOME+MADE

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
alright, you guys are correct that the pictured model appears that it may have a very small chain induced squat. However, that is very dependant on the rear cog size, front sprocket size and the exact position of the pivot and bottom bracket. The attached free body diagram shows the forces and resultant moments about the pivot. The design appears to be nearly neutral under pedaling. A 1" shift in the pivot location od a gearing change would change the anaylsis.

If I missed something in the analysis, post up.

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Then the parts either weren't done on a 5 axis machine, or the shop was starving for work and giving their time away.
Or the machinist was horribly under paid and needs to wake up and smell the job market.
neither, he is very well paid. i generally sit with him to make sure hes not slacking for some of the time i pay him for, which is how i know that for most jobs a 5 axis is used. However i do live in the UK so i understand things may be a little different for you.

Blank: if the bike posted by dirtdigger is what you are after then my advice about the linkage software would be all you would need to produce a printout of the geometry required. this can then be tweaked on the paper, then the tubes etc fabricated by hand. Linkage software is easy to use and takes no training.. you can export the file to BMP, JPG format, as well as DXF (autocad format)

blank

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Oh. My.God.

It is perfect! This is exactly what i want. 4.5'', high piviot, simple linkage, 68 degree head tube with 5'' fork (might change that but z1 is a tall fork)

I dled the linkage demo and i might purchase it to have some fun =)

(i contacted the guy and gonna see if he can help me out =)