Quantcast

tips for clipless?

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
it becomes second nature once you get used to it. It helds quite a bit while racing too, your feet dont get bounced off the pedals.. Just practice alot, ride clipless everywhere.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Practice clipping in and out with the cranks at different positions riding around a flat bit of ground,or leaning against a tree or wall.
Then go ride a trail you know really well untill you're comfortable with being attached to the bike.
Also make sure that your cleats are in the right place,for DHing you want them quite a lot further back under the ball of your foot than for XCing,they arent there for pedalling perfection,they're there to hold your feet on the pedals!
Half way between an XC position and where you foot would be on a flat pedal is about right.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
You'll Be amazed how quickly you can get you feet out. Start by running your pedals a little loose and when you feel your ready tighten them.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
foesjunky said:
You'll Be amazed how quickly you can get you feet out. Start by running your pedals a little loose and when you feel your ready tighten them.
problem, crank bros pedals cant be loosened. and what makes them worst is that they are really tight when you first get them. right when you need them to be loose.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
dhkid said:
problem, crank bros pedals cant be loosened. and what makes them worst is that they are really tight when you first get them. right when you need them to be loose.
Interesting, I've had great luck with Crank Bros. I've used mine only about 3 times and they have always been super easy to get in and out of compared to the shimano pedals that I have used in the past. The problem with adjustable tension pedals, is that the easier you make it to unclip, the more likely it is that you come unclipped when you don't want to. You shouldn't have this problem with crank bros.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
dhkid said:
Which is why you should start with Shimano pedals which are fully adjustable.

I never got into clipless while riding/racing dh. Since thosedays though I've gotten into road riding and xc. Clipless is the way to go and I imagine I would probably run them if I was racing DH.

Best way to get used to them is to practice, a lot. Just ride around town with them on, practice unclipping really quickly and clipping in while still pedaling. Take it to some mellower trails and work on getting comfortable with them. Next step is trying to jump with them, not the most fun thing to do, but you will need it for DH racing.

After a few weeks of only riding clipless you'll be amazed at how easily it is to unclip(40mph to OTB to unclipping while upside down). Practice dismounting in crash situations by endoing on grass and leapfrogging the bars.

The Ito

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The one thing that will train your leg muscles to release from clipless pedals is to practice "panic dabs."

This is how you do it: Ride around your yard or grassy area and go super slow, maybe even hold a track stand for as long as possible. Then when you feel like you are going to fall over...wait even longer. Wait until the last possible moment, then try to clip out. The first couple of times you do this you will fall over! (Hence the grassy area). But after you start conciously clipping out in a "panic" setting, it will only take a couple more times until you unconciously do it, and that's what you want. You want your muscles trained to clip out automatically. Really it works!

Also, if you're running Shimano clips, lube them every time you lube your chain. I throw two drops of tri-flow on the the tension springs (four per pedal)every time I lube my chain, which coincidentally is pretty much every ride. This makes a huge difference!

I've ridden clipless for 11 years. DH, FR, XC, you name it. But I do DJ with flats. It helps to get rid of bad habits...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
They do take time to get used to, but aren't for everyone. On the other hand, once you're used to them, they can really help on courses that have a few pedal sections and they will help you on turns, rock gardens, etc.

Spend time getting used to them; ride around the streets first, just practice getting in and out of the pedals. Then start out with some local trails you're used to. If you've never tried them, it may be worth it to give them a try.

For me, I use them for BMX racing, but prefer platforms on my DH bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
lovebunny said:
anyone got any tips for clipless? im thinking about doing it for racing but im just afraid of falling and being attached
Just ride them, and take your feet off the pedals when you need to. It's not really any harder than taking them off a platform...just lead with your heel.

I can probably lend you a set if you want to give them a try. Bearings are shot, but they'll do for a bit, and the cleats are nice and worn, so they're loose.

MD

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I kind of equate riding clipless with something like learning to drive a manual car; it seems difficult at first but becomes totally natural over time and experience. I've been using clipless on XC and road for years but just switched to them for DH. I think I prefer it to flats and I feel totally comfortable because of just using them for a long time. The best tips I can give are to practice a lot, make a conscious effort to stay in the pedals unless you're going down and remember that if you pop out, just keep riding.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ito said:
Which is why you should start with Shimano pedals which are fully adjustable.
true, and the shimano ones are cheaper too, so in case at the end of the day, you decide that cliples is not for you, you wont regret spending loads of cash. but then again, i got the cranks bros for half price,i couldn't resist it!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's unlikely that during your time 'testing' a set you'll really enjoy it all that much.

When I switched from flats to clips there were a few rides where I really wanted to switch back. I knew it was for the best though and I haven't looked back. Yes I've found myself laying on the ground clipped into my bike a few times but the control you get in rough terrain makes those little wrecks worthwhile.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
lovebunny said:
yeah. my buds gonna hook me up with some to test out. but if i decide to stay with it im gettin mallet ms

Good move, just make sure you get them in 15 deg position if you try mullets and you have room not to get hung up on the sole

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
well time for a quick update. i got them today and threw em on my ht and went on an hour long night ride. they are insane! i love them. you can accelerate like mad and bunnyhop like twice as high. as soon as i get comfortable with them there going on my dh bike. thanks mike D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rode clipless for a while but just never really got comfortable with them. Some people, on the other hand, swear by them. It's really a personal preference.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Plan on falling over. It's going to happen. I don't think I have seen someone put on clips and not fall at least once.

But once you get it out of the way, you will have an amazingly remember to click your heel next time.

I did them for a long time road riding. Then switched to MTB and was on flats. After a couple years of flats i switched to clips for DH racing. my first race back on them and i ate it hard because of the clips. but they have not caused one wreck since. and i can't stand flats any more.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
hucker13 said:
I rode clipless for a while but just never really got comfortable with them. Some people, on the other hand, swear by them. It's really a personal preference.
Yeah, totally. I ran clipless on my XC steed for a few weeks. I got pretty used to them and I certainly think the benefits are there, but I just wasn't comfortable in them. I threw my nice sticky Tioga pedals on (the nice machined ones) and they've been treating me great.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
clips are awesome. They feel so much faster for BMX and 4X riding. I rode all last DH season on clips but i just recently got the new Five-Ten Stealth Rubber shoe and i have done the last two races using those and Easton Cully pedals. I think that flats have the advantage on steep, curvey courses and in the mud because i tend to dab a lot in those situations. I thinks the clips are unbeatable on flat and peadly courses just because of the increase in power transfer you get as apposed to flats. It's all personal prefrence in deciding what setup you are going to run.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
Thats good you like them, I think they really help. Its hard to say if they actually are faster, some of the fastest downhillers don't use clipless. It sounds like you are already used to them, but for me I found an entire different mentality was needed. I thought of riding clipless as whole different type of biking, and even if I had already done a certain jump a new goal would be doing it clipless. I found that really helped me avoid getting frustrated because I wasn't doing things I used to do very well. I think it took me about a month of riding like that and now I have it down.

-Ryan